• Conway Scenic Railroad Discussion (CSRX) - 2010

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by atsf sp

Is a diesel going to assist with the steam in the the snow?
  by 44 tonner

Hey atsf sp, Yes, #573 was on the West end of the train, #7470 on the East. Now it's time for me to upload a video.
  by 44 tonner

My Video, of 7470 coming across the Trestle (Double) in Glen. Didn't come out as well as I wanted it to... :(. Should be up in around an hour.
  by BayColony1706

And now for something that actually pertains to this thread, I had heard there was a potential pre-dawn plowing run penciled in if needed. Did it happen, or was the storm not as bad as predicted?
  by masscoastalfan

I rode the trip and it was awesome as usual. Except for the 300 people it was awesome. It's kind of unfortunate because while i'm glad that the trip attracts so many people, it detracts from the trips original intent of a photo special. But it is a very well done trip. I hope they continue to operate it in the future. The train itself was the longest of the steamin in the snow consists thus far. north to south, 573, Gurtrude emma, cp reed, dorthea MAe, the 3 notch coaches, and 7470. The train was heavy and we almost stalled south of Sawyer's river. 573 was at full throttle and slipping a lot. Then, we felt a hard shove from the rear and saw 7470 shoving hard into the train. It I'd love to have seen it track side! Here's a video. it's not mine but it shows what i'm talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prmKycHu ... re=channel was really cool and it was a great day with the steamer working hard. We did runby's at notchland, cobb road, 2 at bartlett, roger's crossing, the new tunnel/underpass of 302 between bartlett and glen, and woodland pines. Overall, great trip, i got a ton of pictures and a great video. Go Steam in the Snow!
  by 44 tonner

Just stopping in to say "Hi." Everything looks the same at CSRR, well, from what you can see from the main road anyways... :)
  by b&m 1566

After much discussion we have decided that #7470 will run only for special trips & charters during the summer months.
http://www.conwayscenic.com/index.cfm?f ... .steam7470

I'm beginning to wonder if management is losing focus on the very reason the railroad was established in the first place! I know the Thomas event and the Little Engine event have been big in the past but those events last for only two weekends. You could argue that they are trying to keep cost down in this struggling economy but I don't think that’s the case. Looking at the 2010 schedule, I noticed they have reinstated the Wednesday trip for the notch train; so the ridership must be good!
When the Cog Railway started going diesel, I said to myself “well, at least we have the 7470”..... I guess that's only counts for the fall foliage season now.
  by masscoastalfan

Just be happy it does run. No offense to this board or anyone on it, but people spend way too much time complaining about how much this Engine and other steam engines run. It is a diffcult thing for railroads. Running steam is expensive. Atleast she is in good hands and well taken care of. I'm not too excited about seeing her run less but it may be necessisary to keep steam running. Also, not running it as much does reduce the wear and tear on it. it nay keep it running longer into the future. After all it was built in 1921. She's getting old. Remember the railroad isn't around for the enjoyment of railfans. It is a buisness and this may be a buisness decision that will help the railroad make more money. I love 7470 and I would love to see her operate all the time, but in a bad economy, the operation of steam for the whole summer may not be in the cards for a railroad trying to make money. I give props for conway running the steamer at all, especially in this economy. Atleast they didn't totally pull the plug.
  by Otto Vondrak

masscoastalfan wrote:Just be happy it does run. No offense to this board or anyone on it, but people spend way too much time complaining about how much this Engine and other steam engines run. It is a diffcult thing for railroads. Running steam is expensive... Atleast they didn't totally pull the plug.
Amen. Want to know how expensive it is to run steam? Call up about a charter and see what they tell you.

Steam lives. It just gets more restful downtime between runs now, that's all.

Also, remember FRA regs now require a mandatory teardown and rebuild of the boiler after so many days of service. Cutting down the number of days of service helps prolong that very daunting and expensive event down the road. Of course, you can't stop the clock forever...

-otto-
  by cogger

masscoastalfan wrote:Just be happy it does run. No offense to this board or anyone on it, but people spend way too much time complaining about how much this Engine and other steam engines run. It is a diffcult thing for railroads. Running steam is expensive.
How true. The cost of steam operation is huge, from inspections to insurance to manpower. It is the reason every railroad switched to diesel. We are fortunate in New England to at least be able to experience some steam. Times are tough and tourist dollars are tight. Better these railroads do what is necessary to stay solvent, than to end up in financial trouble. Just my two cents worth.
  by Reader#108

I think it is unfair to question how they operate the 7470. Being in my mid thirties, I feel very fortunate to be able to take a 2 hr or so ride and see operating steam. When I was a kid, we vacationed in the valley and were lucky to be able to see the 108 and the 47 (7470). The 108 is now a rusting hulk down in Texas and 47 is now the beautiful 7470. I am able to take my kids to see operating steam here, in Essex and at Mt. Washington. I would love to see the 7470 run everytime I go...hell I would love to see 501! (Sorry Otto). Let us be thankful that we can see it run at all and not complain about the fact that we can't see it everytime we come out of Zeb's.