• Conway Scenic Railroad Discussion (CSRX) - 2010

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by p42thedowneaster

They spent a lot of time and money working on the replacing the glass and updating the A/C, perhaps they feel they can greater improve it's interior now? Also, now that the Hattie Evans dining car is joining the collection, I wonder if they will be using part of the lower dome for food preparation or even dish washing. They would have to relocate the dome snack bar to coach anyways, so that coach passengers do not pass through the kitchen. (Assuming Hattie will be positioned between coach and dome to serve only first class passengers.)
  by BayColony1706

In regards to the Dome: does she still have the Pacific Northwest Totem paintings on the bulkheads? I haven't seen the car (interior-wise) since we ran her on CCR 13 years ago. They were neat, and while they don't go with the territory, I thought they were really cool!
  by merrman

My understanding is that the carpet in the dome car had to be replaced, which of course,
means taking out all the seats. If you're gonna go that far, might as well rehab the whole
interior. And while you've got it inside might as well paint it , too, so you don't have to
bring it back in a couple years down the road. Just a guess, but it makes sense.
  by ottttopotomous

The structure needs to be stabilized and a long-term agreement must be reached for its use before we start sending half the fleet up there. :-)

-otto-

I agree with otto here. Nothing is going to happen with a short term agreement although it would be a great use of the building once it is restored. Otto, I didn't know you worked for CSRR. What do you do for them?
  by b&m 1566

p42thedowneaster wrote:Also, now that the Hattie Evans dining car is joining the collection, I wonder if they will be using part of the lower dome for food preparation or even dish washing. They would have to relocate the dome snack bar to coach anyways, so that coach passengers do not pass through the kitchen. (Assuming Hattie will be positioned between coach and dome to serve only first class passengers.)
That could work but I think having the dining car on the end would be the better way to go. It would still allow the first class passengers the chance to use the open observation car (Silver Cascade) and wouldn't require the project of constructing another snack bar in coach.
Speaking of the Silver Cascade, what is going on with it? It was taken out of service at the beginning of October for what I was told was "regular maintenance" and the car was placed on the same track the 4268 resides on. Is the car on the waiting list for servicing or has it been taken out of service for an indefinite amount of time? I ask because I know the year before they had the issue with the floor and wonder if the structural integrity of the car is now in question.
  by Otto Vondrak

ottttopotomous wrote:Otto, I didn't know you worked for CSRR. What do you do for them?
I never said I did, why do you ask? The question was about Bartlett Roundhouse and the property around it. I help put the website together for the Bartlett Roundhouse Preservation group, so I'm just repeating what's already there. But you already knew that, didn't you? ;-)

http://www.bartlettroundhouse.org

-otto-
  by p42thedowneaster

b&m 1566 wrote:That could work but I think having the dining car on the end would be the better way to go. It would still allow the first class passengers the chance to use the open observation car (Silver Cascade) and wouldn't require the project of constructing another snack bar in coach.
Speaking of the Silver Cascade, what is going on with it? It was taken out of service at the beginning of October for what I was told was "regular maintenance" and the car was placed on the same track the 4268 resides on. Is the car on the waiting list for servicing or has it been taken out of service for an indefinite amount of time? I ask because I know the year before they had the issue with the floor and wonder if the structural integrity of the car is now in question.
You're idea is probably right. It would work well as long as they have enough room in the Hattie Evans for food prep (2 servings per trip). My concern is that Chocorua spills out into the 1133 car for a lot of very necessary additional space.

The Silver Cascade was fun to ride, but I always felt that the rounded roof ends detracted from the streamline look of the train.
  by 44 tonner

A little off topic, but, I am wondering what "Silver Cascade" was before CSRR, and also what she was when she was built. any info would be helpful. Thanks
  by BandM4266

The Bartlett wye has, in fact, been cleared and returned to service. Saw the track crew running the boom truck around it one day.
The way I see it, the clearing of the wye track may be for the preparation of returning it to service. The weight of a boom truck Vs that of a Locomotive is nowhere near the same. I don't believe that the wye could support a locomotive just yet anyhow.
  by ottttopotomous

I never said I did, why do you ask? The question was about Bartlett Roundhouse and the property around it. I help put the website together for the Bartlett Roundhouse Preservation group, so I'm just repeating what's already there. But you already knew that, didn't you? ;-)

http://www.bartlettroundhouse.org

-otto-

Otto, I knew you helped out with the website. It looks good. I misunderstood your previous post when you said "before we start sending half the fleet up there". It made me think you have a say in the operations of the RR.
  by BandM4266

BayColony1706 wrote:A tourist line has to look at the bottom line: Making money. Diesels are cheaper to run and repair, and John Q. Public can't generally tell the difference from an SD-40 or WD-40. If we had a choice of limited steam or NO TRAINS AT ALL, I'll take limited steam. It is a bummer and all, but it is what it is.
Why does one have to insult the public by saying they can't tell the difference between a SD-40 and WD-40? The public may not be able to tell between a SD-40 and a GP-40. But they sure can tell the difference of Steam or Diesel. Thats why everytime I am at Conway the trains pulled by steam are nearly sold out.
  by p42thedowneaster

Well at least Clark's should continue running steam regularly now that they have a new welded boiler in the Climax. I can't blame CSRR at all for omitting the July steam program. It was a completely different story back in the 80's when the trains were much shorter, and the government regulations were less invasive. I hope they do well in operating her for special events...that it really brings out a good crowd every time.

I'm hoping (again) for a steam in the notch excursion this summer! But maybe this time, with 7470 leading the sisters like a helper! (I'd feel safer, I think haha) :wink:
  by b&m 1566

Unless someone on here works at the CSRX, we need to stop assuming why we think management has chosen not to operate the 7470 for the summer. We can only go by what Paul has stated on the website. All I got from it is that they need to focus their time on the Thomas event and capital improvement projects, therefore the 7470 will only run for special events and the foliage season.
In a few years when and if they can ever wrap up with their capital improvements, we may see the 7470 return to regular service.