• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by steamer69

No worries.

Maybe you will be lucky and they will have them by then.....
  by Reader#108

My guess would be that "the next couple of weeks" comment means that they will be there in the
next couple of weeks. I think we all agree that getting these 2 in place for one move down the notch
is probably what needs to/or is going to be what happens.

I wouldn't be surprised to see postings about both as the wheels turn. We all seem to be looking for them.
  by drvmusic

Hi All,

Does anyone know the specific times of departure for the train portion of Day With Thomas? I know the ride is 25 minutes, but was wondering what time(s) "Thomas" will be at the station. I know someone who is unable to attend, but knows their child will have a fit if he sees "Thomas" there. They want to visit downtown and want to know when it's "safe" to go by Zeb's and the other stores in the town center. I looked it up for them and it just said the rides were 25 minutes.

Thanks!
  by Bartlett Roundhouse

Thomas is at the Conway Scenic Railroad on July 6,7,8 and July 13,14,15. The train times for Thomas accourding to the CSRR website are the following 9:15AM, 10:00AM, 10:45AM, 11:30AM, 12:15PM, 1:00PM, 1:45PM, 2:30PM, and 3:15PM and last 25 minutes. Hopes this helps
  by drvmusic

Bartlett Roundhouse wrote:Thomas is at the Conway Scenic Railroad on July 6,7,8 and July 13,14,15. The train times for Thomas accourding to the CSRR website are the following 9:15AM, 10:00AM, 10:45AM, 11:30AM, 12:15PM, 1:00PM, 1:45PM, 2:30PM, and 3:15PM and last 25 minutes. Hopes this helps
Thanks so much! I'll send this along!
  by drvmusic

Hey All, me again....

Got a chance last week to stop by CSRR on a vacation to the MWV and had a great time on the Bartlett run. We took the coach at the back so we could watch 573 on the "runaround." Luckily, we were at the same park after the parade on the 4th to watch 573 do it from the other side. Anyone know what that "Bartlett" building with one track running towards one of two garage bays is?

The place is looking great. Everyone at the ticket booth was friendly and helpful. I begged them to use 4266 (my favorite) for the Bartlett run, but they (understandably) couldn't on such short notice and they were prepping 4266 for other runs. The State of Maine car looks magnificent! Glad to see the new side panels on 4268. She's lookin' ready to meet her donor soon!

I noticed 252 was behind the scenes the whole week (parked behind the Notch Train). Everything ok with that one?

Thanks again to the CSRR for a wonderful experience. I wish I got up there more often than once a year (if I'm lucky).

I was sorry to not see the 2 new GP-9's, but learned that, while one of them is only 40 miles away, it'll take 200 miles of track to get it (and the other) to CSRR.

So while I wait for next year, I live vicariously through those of you on here who get to be there more often :)

-Scott
  by #7470

Hi Scott. The 252 was being used as the 'tour' engine for the Thomas event. And you just missed the 4266 by a few days! She and the 573 were used on the regularly scheduled valley train runs during the Thomas event. Gordon was using both horns on her as well! The two new units will be arriving after Thomas is over next weekend. All that has to be done is paperwork and both units should be arriving together. It will be great to have two additional 1st generations at the railroad!
  by drvmusic

#7470 wrote:Hi Scott. The 252 was being used as the 'tour' engine for the Thomas event. And you just missed the 4266 by a few days! She and the 573 were used on the regularly scheduled valley train runs during the Thomas event. Gordon was using both horns on her as well! The two new units will be arriving after Thomas is over next weekend. All that has to be done is paperwork and both units should be arriving together. It will be great to have two additional 1st generations at the railroad!
Thanks for the update! Good to know :-)

We were staying in Bartlett and I heard the airhorn on 4266 (recognized it right away). So cool! I only got to see her moving once, as we left the area, I saw her horns moving over a shed as she pulled away.

I had to explain to my 3 year old son that 7470 "sleeps" during the summer, but he was pretty psyched to see 501 near the turntable. We missed out on Thomas. Maybe next year!
  by drvmusic

Hi All... when in N. Conway a couple of weeks ago I went down one of the side roads in the downtown and crossed some tracks that I don't think are CSRR tracks. They run parallel to Rt. 19, but one block back from the main road. Anyone know what they are?
  by #7470

drvmusic wrote:Hi All... when in N. Conway a couple of weeks ago I went down one of the side roads in the downtown and crossed some tracks that I don't think are CSRR tracks. They run parallel to Rt. 19, but one block back from the main road. Anyone know what they are?
Hi. I think what you meant was Rt. 16? The tracks you are probably talking about is the Redstone Branch which run parallel to 16 and alongside North South Road which is probably the road you were on. Those tracks were a part of federal funding (at least this is what I have been told, correct me if I'm wrong) and in order for the state to get the money to redo the road, they also had to redo the tracks. They're a part of the Maine Central RR. Technically they are abandoned even though they are used from time to time by the Conway Scenic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOxSosUf1Ks
  by drvmusic

#7470 wrote:
drvmusic wrote:Hi All... when in N. Conway a couple of weeks ago I went down one of the side roads in the downtown and crossed some tracks that I don't think are CSRR tracks. They run parallel to Rt. 19, but one block back from the main road. Anyone know what they are?
Hi. I think what you meant was Rt. 16? The tracks you are probably talking about is the Redstone Branch which run parallel to 16 and alongside North South Road which is probably the road you were on. Those tracks were a part of federal funding (at least this is what I have been told, correct me if I'm wrong) and in order for the state to get the money to redo the road, they also had to redo the tracks. They're a part of the Maine Central RR. Technically they are abandoned even though they are used from time to time by the Conway Scenic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOxSosUf1Ks
Thanks! Yeah, I meant 16. Typo :-)

North-South Rd was it, yes! I noticed that the tracks and signals are all well-kept but the rails themselves didn't look very shiny, so I was wondering if they wre used at all.

by #7470

No problem! Those signals are probably around anywhere from 7-10 years old. The branch will usually see 2 trains per year. They can't go very far because of a bridge that hasn't been used in probably over 20 or so years. Not sure how long the tracks have been abandoned. As far as I know, there are no plans for the Conway Scenic to use the rails more than twice a year so there are no plans to restore them. It is a shame because everything including the bridges are so new. Two times a year is better than nothing I guess!
  by b&m 1566

North South Road is a 10 year old bypass that is stage one of many to take place in the area to help alleviate traffic. A half mile section of track was relocated about 10 to 20 feet to (railroad) north. It is not abandoned the original alignment was used by the Conway Scenic in 1998 & 1999, before it was closed for construction of the bypass. The new section reopened in 2003. The state of NH owns the line to the Maine state line and the CSRX leases it. Trains terminate at Redstone which is about two miles east of the relocated section. Typical operations to Redstone is during Railfans Weekend in September, 470 RR Club trip in October, as well as special private charters through out late spring and summer months, which the RDC handles. (Other uses come from special charters by MBRRE and MOW, since new ties and such are stored near the bypass.)
  by Reader#108

Stage 1.....and final stage it would appear as the last 2 stages have been pretty much shot down.

I would venture to guess that when the Mountain Division in Maine is complete, or near complete,

the State of NH will then put put to have the rest of the line rehabbed and the bridge replaced.

It would only serve the entire area's interest to have this take place.