• Consists and trains in MSTS

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

by Jumpshot724

Thats a great model!!

I still can't figure out how to add trains and make consists for MSTS :(

by Lirr168

Jumpshot724 wrote:Thats a great model!!

I still can't figure out how to add trains and make consists for MSTS :(
Here's a quick how-to:

1. unzip the file to a temporary folder. the default is C:/unzipped
2. go to the temporary folder and find the folder within it that has the locomotive name (ex. LIRR RS1 461); copy this folder.
3. here's where it gets tough: go to the C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Train Simulator/Trains/Trainset
4. once inside the Trainset folder, paste the folder you copied from C:/unzipped. after checking the folder has appeared, close the window.
5. insert MSTS disc 2 (the orange one) into your CD-ROM drive
6. go to Start>All Programs>Microsoft Games>Train Simulator>Train Simulator Editors and Tools; open it.
7. once the MSTS editors and tools has opened (it may take a minute), go to the Activity Editor
8. once in activity editor, go to File>New. You'll seea route name come up, just click Ok. Next, it will prompt you to name the activity, also just click Ok.
9. under the section "Player" on the middle right, hit "New"
10. under the "Consist" heading, hit "New"
11. find the appropriate loco/car type (ex. diesel) from the drop down menu and scroll down the list until you locate the name of the loco you just put into the Trainset folder
12. now double-click on the loco and you will see it appear on the bottom. simply repeat step 11 to add more cars to the consist. before exiting, make sure to name your consist and save it as well.
13. finally, go into MSTS as normal and the train should appear in the same menu with all of the default ones.

BTW, Syracuse, huh? You aren't by any chance a Dolphin, are you?

Kyle

by Jumpshot724

Wow thanks for the help!!

BTW, Syracuse, huh? You aren't by any chance a Dolphin, are you?

Kyle
Nope, I'm an orange(man). Dolphy day was just last Monday though if you're an alum, and if you're a Dolphin now then I don't need to tell you that lol :-D

by Jumpshot724

I tried doing what you said, but I get an error (actually 2)

"Failed to find SMS file file../../common.snd/GeneralElectric/GEeng.sms"

and

"Failed to create cabview"

by Lirr168

hahaha, I'm a current Dolphin, so I was in the thick of it last week :-)

Anyway, I'm guessing those messages are for the DE, right? The DE wasn't really meant to lead, so I didn't include the cab/sound. You can grab them from railserve.com if you want them.

by Jumpshot724

I get the "Failed to generate cabview" with the GP38 too, and I checked all the folders there are Cabview folders within each GP38 folder. I even overwrote them with the default GP38 folder and still nothing.
  by Blutorse4792

Dietrich172 wrote:I have a friend that is trying to repaint an SW1001 as #100 for Auran's Trainz, and he was wondering how wide the white stripe on the side of the side of the locomotive is. I don't know if any of you would know but my friend would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Dietrich :-)
Where did he find an SW1001 for Trainz? I've been looking for one.

by Otto Vondrak

[split from LIRR forum - omv]

by AmtrakPhill629

Is a real DE ever going to be made?

by Jumpshot724

I was able to get the DE to work with a cab. It uses the P42 cab off of railserve.

by Lirr168

AmtrakPhill629 wrote:Is a real DE ever going to be made?
Why would anyone? It is a shitty engine that is used by only the LIRR, no other railroad in the world has them. Besides, I think if the new president has her way, they will be headed to the scrapper in favor of more eco-friendly locomotives anyway.