• Chatham operations

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Noel Weaver

I think there is a good possibility that it was one of the more secondary
passenger trains that operated on the B. & A. during the 50's. I think two
RS units would drag a reasonable size train through the Berkshires as it
was not really a high speed railroad.
After the North Adams trains came off, it is most likely that all of the
Harlem trains terminated or originated at Chatham. At least that is what
the timetables of the period indicate.
Noel Weaver

by bill8106

rlsteam - I've always admired this photograph, so much is captured in it. Side-by-side comparison of an RS-2 vs RS-3, Alco smoke, escaping steam, Hancock whistle on 8222, gooseneck lightposts, fuel stain on 8222's cab...I can go on and on. Terrific RR photo of that era.

Just a few comment on the caption: 8222 was steam generator equipped, class DRSP-2c.

I would guess that RS-2s could MU with -3s without any modifications, and I wonder if the steam gens would be working for a/c or to supply steam for the galley in a dining car. Or both, or someother reason(s)? Hopefully a former/current engineer, fireman, rr employee, etc (ie, qualified) can comment on these points.
  by Tom Curtin

I would guess that RS-2s could MU with -3s without any modifications
I believe you're right. Photos in print show this was done routinely on various railroads (In addition to the NYC photo we're discussing I have seen photos of this practice on Erie Lackawanna, New Haven). But in discussion of the matter with an ex-New Haven engineer who operated both types, spearately and together, I was told that such operation was not exactly smooth --- the 2's and 3's transitioned differently.
  by Noel Weaver

Not necessarily, Tom, for example the Pennsylvania's RS-3's had a 24RL
type brake, at least the ones that I ran did, and the New York Central
RS-3's had a no. 6 brake and those two systems did not MU. Some
railroads also used different type jumpers for one reason or another and
occasionally this would also prevent an MU operation.
The last RS-2 on the New York Central lasted into the Penn Central period
and in fact had been observed in New England.
Logic would state that the Central's RS-2's and RS-3's would MU all right
but logic does not always prevail in a situation like this one. I can't give
you an intelligent answer as to whether these engines could MU or not.
I will try to do some research on this sometime down the road but I am
too deep in another set of projects to do it anytime soon.
Noel Weaver
  by Tom Curtin

That's very interesting ........and by the way RE your comment:
The last RS-2 on the New York Central lasted into the Penn Central period
and in fact had been observed in New England.
. . .it was indeed observed in New England. In fact it was observed by me, running on the local freight out of Pittsfield, on the ex-NH Berkshire. Unfortunately I don't have photos of it.
  by Tom Curtin

If I may return this thread to the matter that started, i.e., Chathem operations, I consulted the great sacred scripture The Coming of the New York and Harlem by Lou Grogan, which has a chapter on the North Adams operation. Lou wrote that through trains New York-North Adams ended September 1950, after which it was necessary to change at Chatham. Lou didn't address what kind of equipment the connection was, but I don't believe it was an RDC simply because I believe NYC's RDCs didn't go back to 1950. Further, what Lou called "meaningful connections" (i.e., a reasonable connect time at Chatham***) ended in 1951. He doesn't specify a precise date. All connections from Chatham to North Adams ended April 1953.

*** In fact, he said that on at least one train there was a 1:45 layover at Chatham!! I have to say that kind of stuff was typical of the ploys railroads pulled when they really wanted to kill a service.

by Jack Shufelt

[quote="Otto Vondrak"]The Harlem Division was single track from Putnam Jct. North to Ghent. From Ghent to Chatham was technically the B&A.

The Ghent to Chatham territory belonged to the Harlem. The B&A ripped up their track in the 1930's.

Reference B&A ETT No. 150 of June 16, 1946, page 16, as an example. Hudson Branch. Ghent: Northward B&A trains will not pass Stop Board at the connection to the N.Y.C. until permission has been received from signalman at Int. 65 to enter the N.Y. C. main track.