• Charter Special Train on LIRR (POC)?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by jhdeasy

Anyone know who is the appropriate POC in MTA/LIRR marketing or operations to initiate discussions for a charter special train on LIRR?

Desired operation is one or two locomotives with 4 Amtrak certified private cars, Queens to Montauk and return.

If LIRR is unwilling or their price is unreasonable, could NY & Atlantic provide the same service -- dedicated engines and crew to haul 4 PVs from Queens to Montauk and back?

Please reply here or directly to

[email protected]

by DutchRailnut

The movement of passengers even on PV's is only allowed with LIRR crews due to contract.
Any movement by NY&A would only result in a huge amount of timeclaims by both BLET and UTU.

by RRChef

I would suggest posting this on the New York & Atlantic forum on this board as there are a number of employees from NYAR that contribute fequently and they would be able to help you better with your second question.

by jayrmli

Jack:

I'll have to check to see who to contact at LIRR for such a charter. I'll email you when I find out.

As for using NYAR, the transfer agreement between them and the MTA specifically forbids using NYAR crews for "revenue passenger moves." If you just wanted to move the cars in an equipment move with no passengers, that's a different story.

Jay

by RRChef

Here's an interesting question---When was the last time the LIRR allowed a charter on it's rails when not using it's own equipment or that of one of the historical groups on LI? Anyone know?

by DutchRailnut

NH&HRR historical excursion from Danbury with 2 FL9 and Conndot Bombardiers to Museum in 1988 I believe. Metro North Crew and LIRR pilot crew. and there was an Amtrak special going to a game from Albany to Shea stadium with Amfleet and Genesis P32acdm.

by John 61

I found a few shots of the New Haven trip passing westbound at Divide in Hicksville. My slide is dated (developed) June 1989.Image

by RRChef

I was in Greenport the day the FL-9's came in. I remember it was a beautiful early summer day, a cloudless blue sky and I got some great pictures of the units in front of the museum.

by IslesFan

John 61 wrote:I found a few shots of the New Haven trip passing westbound at Divide in Hicksville. My slide is dated (developed) June 1989.Image
John,
Do you have any more pictures from this trip?

--IslesFan

by M1 9147

When was this?????

by DutchRailnut

Neil its in post about 3 clicks up
I thought it was 1988 but next poster said his picture was developed june 1989 so stay with the program now :wink:

by John 61

IslesFan,

I have a few more but they are basically the same shot with the train coming into the Hickville Station.

by KFRG

Any idea on what #'s those FL9's those were? Just to clear things up, did that FL9, and Shoreliner cab have to be fitted with LIRR type cabsignals?

-Tom

by KFRG

Any idea on what #'s those FL9's those were? Just to clear things up, did that FL9, and Shoreliner cab have to be fitted with LIRR type cabsignals?

-Tom

by DutchRailnut

No the cabsignals were not refitted for a one day excursion.
this was long before tighter ATC rules came allong.
only thing we did in Danbury was to remove the Third rail shoes.
forgot which two of four Chrome CDOTs we used. only 2002/2006/2019/2023 were in service those years.