• Calais Branch Rail Removal Approved

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by sandyriverman

All is NOT rosy in ATV trail land. Dale Henderson, owner of over 6000 acres traversed by this "rail to trail" has raised numerous legal issues. Maybe the liars at MeDOT will be exposed after all.

..."His attorney, Tim Pease of Rudman & Winchell in Bangor, said he will file an amended complaint in Hancock County Superior Court within days"....

..."In 1987, he said, Maine Central gave the state of Maine its right of way — access Pease maintains the railroad had already abandoned and no longer owned.
“Maine Central owned only a right of way, not the land, so when the railroad operations were abandoned the right of way automatically ended and reverted back to the prior owners of the land,” Pease said"....

Ownership in Question?

A lot of the old original deeds state quite clearly that when the right of way ceases to be used for railroad use ownership of the ROW reverts to the landowner.MeDOT just spits out that "these are old deeds that don't matter".

We will see!
  by Richard Glueck

A visit to Machias on August 20th revealed this very nicely restored (painted) MEC boxcar and a primed freight house. The rails are gone from Machias eastward, and the yard hosts a stack of about 1000 ties and several tons of rusty rails.
The denuded road bed has been completely regraded.

by MEC407

That boxcar looks great. Nice shots.
  by Cosmo

Is it possible to bring suit against the R2T group for denial of possible rail service?

Aaaahhh.... never mind.
  by Steve Zuppa

I agree with Pete. Maybe it's just the railfan in me but whenever I saw an abandoned or unused (or rarely used, for that matter) rail line, I always wondered what it would be like to be there ON A TRAIN! Take up the tracks and it's just another path through the countryside. Besides, it's the railroad that made this area you want to (pick one... or all!) ride your bike, walk and (I'm showing my prejudices)trash the area with your ATVs. Oh, well.
Steve
  by Cosmo

See,... with ME it's just a mater of bitterness.
I'll admit it.
When I hear about the R2T people cracking champaign because they defeated all efforts to save the tracks that so manhy wanted to save I just feel like I wangt to sick it to them somehow.
This is why I'm hoping the guy win's his suit based on land uses!
Trail Use does NOT constitute RAIL use and he should get that land!
I guess I'm hoping it will also belie the underlying fallacie about "railbanking" something by making it a trail.
When has there EVER been a trail that's gone BACK to rail use?
(The 2' trails currently under restoration being the exception.)
  by Steve Zuppa

With regards to the Calais branch, I have to admit a little prejudice. One of my favorite aunts bought a place in Columbia,oh,I don't know,25 years ago or so? and on my (admittedly) infrequent visits to her, I passed by the branch. I was enamored of it even then (although I knew next to nothing about it). The point is: I saw an area where something was made out of nothing. I was smart enough(even then) to know that there would not be a railroad there if there didn't exist, a need. My point is: how is that need different today? Back when, there were no paved roads so they needed a railroad. Today, diesel's closing in on $5 a gallon. How is that need any less relevant? Ya know, I appplaud the posters on this forum for their accumen. I wish our politicians could be so astute.
S
  by Richard Glueck

Of course, all the right of way has been graded. THis would be a great time for the state to reneg and re-lay tracks and ballast.
  by Cosmo

Heeheee...
I sooooo wish!
  by Turbo231

Well, I kind of agree with the fact that the line is gone. It very much served it purpose back in the early 1900's when there was no trucking service, however the times have changed and I can't see any foreseeable use for those tracks. Trucks just have a convenience, even with high diesel prices, that just can't be beat in a low volume situation like what Washington county would provide. Nostalgia aside, in my opinion, we're not losing much here.

But I'm not an advocate of making it a multi-use trail...no offense to responsible ATV users, but if they're on the trail, I'm not, especially a groomed trail that allows for higher speeds. I agree with returning the corridor back to it's original owners. If it's not a rail corridor, its original purpose, then return it. If those land owners want to promote a trail or sell it to a group that wants to take of it, then fine, but let those who own it decide.

And I do wish the Downeast Heritage railroad luck...I hope they can succeed where the B&ML has failed.

I believe the boxcar in Machias will eventually be used as an information center, presumably for all the tourists that will be using the rail corridor and spending all that money in Washington county. I think it was last year it was moved away from the station for prep and paint. One of the Cole Land Transportation railroad volunteers went to make sure the track was still in gauge when it was moved.