Railroad Forums 

• Calais Branch Rail Removal Approved

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#244374  by Cowford

Not sure what the latest is with the LNG facility in Robbinston, but if it is shot down like the project in Harpswell, you have your answer to the future of a rail resurgance in Maine: If NIMBYs (and let's be real - these aren't all wealthy flatlanders) don't want industrial development such as LNG imports in Maine, you will NEVER again see rail-centric shippers in Maine. The state has the unfortunate position of being at the "end of the supply chain" in the US, so is disadvantaged enough. Maine will have to literally bribe heavy industry to return.

It's really a shame. Wal-Mart doesn't ship by rail.

#244613  by Noel Weaver

Cowford wrote:Not sure what the latest is with the LNG facility in Robbinston, but if it is shot down like the project in Harpswell, you have your answer to the future of a rail resurgance in Maine: If NIMBYs (and let's be real - these aren't all wealthy flatlanders) don't want industrial development such as LNG imports in Maine, you will NEVER again see rail-centric shippers in Maine. The state has the unfortunate position of being at the "end of the supply chain" in the US, so is disadvantaged enough. Maine will have to literally bribe heavy industry to return.

It's really a shame. Wal-Mart doesn't ship by rail.
Your last sentence is a classic. Wal-Mart is so cheap that when they built
a new distribution center in New York State, they built it in US-20 rather
than a location on the State Thruway system for truck traffic. It is in
Sharon Springs, NY in the middle of really nasty winter conditions on
US-20 which is a tough winter ride even in decent conditions. It is a good
80 or more miles from the nearest van site in Syracuse and I do not ever
remember seeing any Wal-Mart vehicles in that site while I was working
that line.
It did not help the railroads of Maine that the lumber business is much
less than years ago, the potatoes are basically history so far as the
railroads are concerned and there is not very much bridge traffic left in
Maine either.
It is pretty much the same situation through much of New England today,
too little railroad freight traffic. Still, I think it might be worth it to leave
the track in place, I am not convinced that there are no NIMBY'S in Maine,
they are everywhere and they spell trouble for railroads everywhere.
Noel Weaver

#244643  by cbrrfan

As for NIMBYs, they are everywhere and are NIMBYs about everything, even houses of worship.

One falacious arguement heard during this debate was that abutters would have to put up with trains passing their property. With this segment of the corridor being converted to a multi-use trail, dominated by ATVs, which is more preferable, a 6 car train passing for 60 seconds six times a day, or groups of ATVs 40 or 50 times a day? It's a matter of personal taste, I'll take the train.

Also, no train I know of ever habitually trespassed, (except maybe in a derailment). Yesterday the Governor signed a bill stiffening the penalties for ATV trespassing on private property, that should say something about the problems that will be faced with this use of the corridor.

Time will tell and the rail will be gone forever and this debate will go on and on until the last of us who remember are gone. The NIMBYs will keep coming to Maine trying to save us all from ourselves.

#245652  by Richard_Glueck

Nice short editorial about the folly of pulling up the Calais Branch in today's Bangor Daily.

#245794  by Cowford

The editorial is not exactly from an unbiased observer. That said, I would just like to hear about ONE significant rail business-producing project that is proposed or expected to start up operations in Washington County in the next 20 years- it's been dormant for over 20 years already.The writer has a point with likely having to go through a lot of environmental hurdles, but consider these two points:

* I believe the branch is entirely 75/85lb rail and in poor condition. This is not appropriate for today's rail freight environment (tourist roads can get away with it).

* If there are any ties still acceptable, they won't be in ten years...

So, you'll need to replace all the ties/plates, spikes, crossing signals and most if not all of the rail, completely reballast and surface... etc. etc. So, how much additional cost would it be to have to reconvert to a viable rail line from a trail???

#245887  by MEC407

Cowford wrote:Everyone said this train was going to MAKE money!
Really? I don't recall anybody ever saying that the Downeaster would turn a profit. Care to cite a source?

#246094  by Cowford

MEC - the sources would include Wayne Davis quoted in various papers, such as the Portland Press Herald. I don't keep newpaper clippings, but I have a good memory for numbers :wink:

How about this from a 2002 UTU article:

"...Rail officials hope strong ridership and revenue from sources ranging from souvenirs to onboard advertising will make up the difference without the need for further subsidies three years from now. Davis is convinced ridership and revenue will exceed projections..."

By the way, try contacting TRNE and inquire as to the availability of the market research and pro forma revenue and cost projections... Bon chance!

#246105  by MEC407

Mr. Davis has occasionally been a little too optimistic. :wink:

The folks from Amtrak, NNEPRA, MaineDOT, et al have always been up-front about the fact that passenger rail in Maine will never turn a profit and probably won't break even.

#246415  by Richard Glueck

Another letter in today's BDN regarding the tearing up of the Calais Branch. THe letter is insightful, far reaching in it's analysis, and faces the benefits of leaving the line in place with an upgrade. Obviously written by a genius; a man of vision.

#246546  by Cowford

I couldn't disagree with you more, but kudos for getting your voice heard in the local press... :-D

#246902  by NRGeep

"The state has the unfortunate position of being at the "end of the supply chain" in the US, so is disadvantaged enough. Maine will have to literally bribe heavy industry to return."

Before the St Lawrence Seaway it could be argued that Maine (at least in terms of imports) was at the head of the supply chain. Anyone know how many freights went to Port Ontario on the then thriving Mountain Division in those pre-Seaway days?

#247163  by bwparker1

Here is said letter:

Before spikes are pulled

At a time when gasoline and diesel fuel prices are nearing their all-time high, when heavy trucks are required to use secondary roads rather than the interstate and Washington County remains isolated from the shopping arenas of central Maine, one has to question what our elected officials are thinking by tearing up the Brewer-Calais rail line.

Granted, the right of way has been neglected for two decades and both regarding and tie renewal will require some hefty investment of public funds, yet doesn’t it make sense to keep the corridor of transportation in place rather than to remove it?

Two rail diesel cars, operated from Calais to Brewer, and met by BAT transportation to the Bangor Mall, would stimulate economic benefits to both areas and possibly increase the visitation of our Canadian neighbors to Greater Bangor. Operating nostalgic tourist trains at the peak of the summer season between Ellsworth and Machias, would likewise, attract visitors to the Down East region.

Before the spikes are pulled and this lovely, scenic, rural line fades into dim memory, I would ask our local representatives to have the state government re-think the possibilities offered by initiating light rail service between Brewer and Calais.

Richard Glueck
Winterport

#247534  by Richard Glueck

Another article in today's BDN, reporting on champagne celebrations by the rails to trails group, at a party. Apparently they feel the scrap value of the steel torn up will pay for the right of way improvements to the line.

#247599  by Noel Weaver

I agree that the rails ought to remain in place but Rail Diesel Cars, forget
it, this is one of the most foolish things that I have heard yet. Your taxes
in Maine would not begin to support something like this and I doubt that
the people in Maine could afford the necessary taxes that it would take to
do something like this.
Noel Weaver

#247737  by TomNelligan

NRGeep wrote:Before the St Lawrence Seaway it could be argued that Maine (at least in terms of imports) was at the head of the supply chain. Anyone know how many freights went to Port Ontario on the then thriving Mountain Division in those pre-Seaway days?
There were two Portland-St. Johnsbury freights a day in the 1950s, down to one in the 1960s. With all due respect to the Port of Portland, its best days were in the nineteenth century. What the Seaway really hit in terms of diverting shipping business were the Canadian ports of Halifax and St. John; of course Halifax has since revived as a major North American container port.