• Bushwick Branch

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by Bush-whacker

Interesting facts from 1010WINS.
Bushwick Branch has not had crossing protection since 1991.

Maybe now.....??????

NTSB reports all switches and valves on locomotive were in correct position at time of incident

What happened is truely tragic. I feel for the victims, and also for the crew and their families.

It may sound a little selfish, but I can't help but think, "Thank God it wasn't me", because it really could have happened to any of us.

by lirrmike

That's right it could have been one of us! That's why you have to stay off the tracks when you watch trains and most of all PAY ATTENTION! I'm sure if a group of us were down there, we would of been excited about seeing a MP15 traveling the Bushwick, not knowing it was a run away and it could've been bad.

Mike
  by Knife-Switch

:( I don't think my preferred and earned name is really appropriate at this time therefore I've come up with a temporary substitute. However I am open to alternative suggestions from NYAR crews....?
  by BMTman

A friend who's a retired LIRR worker asked me to post this:

Fifteen years ago there was a split-derailer on the Bushwick that would prevent any trains 'coming loose' at Freemont from rolling into Traffic on the Bush....what happenned to it? Was it deactivated, or vandalized? Also, he recalled that the grade crossings on the Bushwick including flashing signals (but no gates). These too, appear to be missing. :(

by Gruntled

hey Bush,

All switches and valves in the correct position, does that include angle cocks and cut-out cocks?

by badneighbor

:roll: Our dear Governor Pataki promised a lot during his campaign. All these grand plans and promises to rebuild and make the Bushwick and the Bay Ridge all new and improved. Raising bridges, etc. where's the beef GEORGE??? Maybe a few more bucks for a crossbucks and some lights and gates, for each of these crossings. :(
  by Knife-Switch

Gruntled
I PM'd you additional non-postable facts and rumors.
I don't want to enflame any fingerpointing here.
The simple fact as with the case with most accidents is that in hindsight, there are several points which could have minimized or averted this tragedy.
Last edited by Knife-Switch on Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Knife-Switch

For a somewhat dated few of the Bush in daylight:

http://www.oldnyc.com/bushwick/contents/bushwick.html

Now imagine that at night with Dawgs[2 legged as well as 4 legged]/Hookers/Rats and people concerned more with keeping their vehicles moving rather than stopping for flagmen. And you got an idea of the Bush!
  by BMTman

Hey, knife-switch, wasn't there a song some years ago with a lyric of 'Push, Push, in Da Bush'? :wink:

sounds appropriate...

by DogBert

How long was the bush closed after the accident? I'm assuming they've hauled away the MP15 by now and that everything back to 'normal'.

the day after, I saw a boxcar east of metro av - is there a customer along there? I never noticed any cars in that area before...

by Knife-Switch

East of Metropolitan would be the one car spot for Western Beef located on the west end of Fonda runaround. Usually refers of fruit or veg. Very messy folks, they dump packing debris from the cars on the ROW. I wouldn't go wandering around there. Last fall they had a very manegy(sp?)/ hungry dog living in their lot and that fence ain't always locked. I tell you what, when you're closing a plug door(which the customer should have) and you turn around and see this hungry mutt sneaking up on ya, it'll get your heart going!!!!

by steemtrayn

Switches and valves, eh? What about handbrakes?

by Knife-Switch

Well they're right back to driving around the flagmen...fusees orange reflective jacket and all!!!

I say we give the flagmen spike strips to throw out at each crossing. Maybe then they'll get the point!!!!

Or better yet .50 cal through the engine block YUMYUMYUM

by Scrap em All

Well it looks like we need to make a few more carcasses out of those morons to get the point across. Anybody volunteer to drive in front of my train? anyone? :)

by RRChef

Can I volunteer my ex-wife?