• Best looking ALCo?

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

by N. Todd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:12 am Post subject:
I don't know about BEST, but the C636 seems to me to be one of the Alco-iest looking ones: roofline like a Vermont farmhouse that has hada succession of shed/extension add-ons, each one of a different height
And screen doors added to the pumphouse.
What's the descending sill on the engineer's side of the frame for?

by mc367

MEC407 wrote:The BBD HR616 was pretty badass looking. :-D
I'll defiantly agree with that, throw VIA's LRC's in to. They had that face only a mother could love but they where mean looking and different from anything else that had an Alco inside.

But enough with the wild cards, I'd say the best looking Alco's would be RS18's and C424's. With the 424's you could put them in any paint scheme you wished and they would look pretty good, take em in Guilford grey for example. Of course CP RS18's and 424's and Guilford 424's is what I saw allot when I started railfanning in the mid 90's.

-Justin Franz

by Petz

lutherkb wrote:
Petz wrote:
Alcoman wrote: Its not the looks that count, but that one and only Alco sound! :-D
I like the U-boat sounds too...
I thought U-Boats were GE...
That´s no question but the noise is very exiting too, EMD & FM OP´s are sounding too flat for my taste.

by Paul

Alcoman wrote:Its not the looks that count, but that one and only Alco sound! Very Happy
I don't know about anybody else, but I always thought those old 7FDLs sounded like they were going to self destruct on every third stoke of the engine and on more than one occasion I have gone over the hand rails while starting one of those old POS that came in dead and drained. Nope, never liked them. It is interesting to hear the differance between the new EFI 7FDLs and the old U series. The new 12 cylinder 4,400hp reminds me of a 244. I am curious if it fires like the "twin six" 12-244.
As far as best looking Alco ever? Hands down, the RS-1. Nice sporty little package with that awsome burbbling turbo.
  by Allen Hazen

N. Todd, with reference to the C-636, asks:
"What's the descending sill on the engineer's side of the frame for?"
According to the C-636 article in the January 1985 "Railroad Model Craftsman," there was an air duct under the right walkway-- I assume connecting the central equipment blower to the rear traction motors. (Hmm. The fuel-fill in the middle must have caused a constriction in the duct. Do you suppose this failure of "internal streamlining" led to a detectable increase in parasitic power-loss?)

by Legio X

The LIRR's last group of eight Century 420's were the best looking Alcos, in my opinion. #'s 222-229 had Hi-Ad trucks, high-short hoods and were set up for long-hood forward operation. From the late '70's until 1990 when they were scrapped, they wore a sharp looking blue and white livery. Two of the group, #'s 225 and 229, were repainted in their as-delivered livery of blue and yellow in 1989.

by BrianM

I like the C420's and the M420's.

Brian
www.srnjrr.com

by thebigc

Allen Hazen wrote:I don't know about BEST, but the C636 seems to me to be one of the Alco-iest looking ones: roofline like a Vermont farmhouse that has hada succession of shed/extension add-ons, each one of a different height
LOL! :-D

'Nuff said.

by ChesapeakeFurball

C636 all the way :-D

by the missing link

my alltime fave has allways been the rs-1.so many roads paint schemes never looked so good on them,than with other engines only being so-so.i think it's the proportion of legnth under the body and the added short hood,the cab roof overhang does it too.all around utilitarian beauty,only a matter of opinion of course.longevity?sure,their allmost all doing museum duty,going on 60 years!!??how about you?favorite schemes?new haven(as deivered),new york central(lightning stripe),minneapolis&st.louis,genesee&wyoming,susqehanna(origional),ann arbor(origional),long island(tichy),cnw,milw,rutland,great northern,........some never hads that wouldv'e been nice,b&m,lehigh valley(thank you tioga central!)d&h(oooh...)central vermont,erie,........

by MEC407

The high-nose C628s are pretty neat looking. Very long.

by dave76

My favorites would be RS3, C420 C628. The RSD15 just reminds me of a dinosour.

by Luther Brefo

Any and all from the S series, the RS series and the Century series!

Diesel please...

Although the streamlined Hudsons were also good looking.

by abaduck

scottychaos wrote:
metman499 wrote:Alco made a bad looking locomotive?
only a few!
http://www.worldrailfans.org/Articles/U ... 855-61.jpg
:wink:
Hey - I *like* the 855, it's... unmistakable. It's... big. It's... aww hell ok it's so ugly it's kinda cute but it still gets my vote - I just bought a brass O gauge one so I guess I have to put my mouth where my money is...

Mike