Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

by wots hater

Hi all. I'll be taking a trip to San Francisco next week and had a question about the fare collection system that they use out there. I'll be riding the BART, MUNI light rail, MUNI buses, and Caltrain very frequently during my visit and was wondering if there was some sort of fare card that could be used across all (or at least) multiple modes of travel. Also, is there some sort of unlimited ride pass like they have in London or NYC? Thanks a lot for any assistance guys.
  by ExCon90

Muni has day passes (1, 3, and 7 days, I think) which are a good deal if you're going to be riding Muni a lot in one day. They're good on all Muni services (except for ballpark bus specials), including cable cars, which is particularly important since in the absence of a weekly or monthly pass the cash fare is $5 a pop (and it may have gone up), with no transfers; and they're fun to ride -- you'll want to ride them a lot. (The Muni website will give you the current charges.) On Caltrain, unless they've changed it, a round-trip ticket gives you unlimited rides all day within the zones covered. On BART, you can ride for 3 hours on the minimum fare as long as you don't get off at the same station where you got on. This gives you time do do one round trip to the end of a line and back, as long as you start from (say) Powell and get off at Montgomery or Embarcadero before the 3 hours are up; you will be charged the one-way fare from Powell to Montgomery or Embarcadero.
  by lensovet

ExCon90 wrote:Muni has day passes (1, 3, and 7 days, I think) which are a good deal if you're going to be riding Muni a lot in one day. They're good on all Muni services (except for ballpark bus specials), including cable cars, which is particularly important since in the absence of a weekly or monthly pass the cash fare is $5 a pop (and it may have gone up), with no transfers; and they're fun to ride -- you'll want to ride them a lot. (The Muni website will give you the current charges.) On Caltrain, unless they've changed it, a round-trip ticket gives you unlimited rides all day within the zones covered. On BART, you can ride for 3 hours on the minimum fare as long as you don't get off at the same station where you got on. This gives you time do do one round trip to the end of a line and back, as long as you start from (say) Powell and get off at Montgomery or Embarcadero before the 3 hours are up; you will be charged the one-way fare from Powell to Montgomery or Embarcadero.
Re: caltrain, no, you have to get a day pass specifically; there are no round-trip tickets, but rather two one-way tickets.
definitely get clipper though. you can get it mailed out to you ahead of time if you want, or buy it at any local walgreens.