• B&M passenger cars: green? maroon? HELP!

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by NellsChoo

Hi folks

I am stuck with a set of green, undecorated heavyweight passenger cars in N scale that I thought would arrive unpainted.

Did the B&M ever have green cars? The only color pics I have seen show a maroon/red color for them.

HELP!

by Steam

Yes, before WWII they were dark green.

by NellsChoo

GREAT! So now I don't have to repaint them? Just get some decals, I guess...

by Noel Weaver

From my memory in the 1950's, most of the coaches were maroon, I
remember them on the Conn. River and Portland lines.
You have to remember that on the Conn. River there were a lot of NHRR
cars used and of course, they were green or later black.
Noel Weaver

by NellsChoo

I am starting to think maybe I should make my coaches into Maine Central ones instead. That is, if I decide to keep them green.

Now I need to find out if I should have 4 or 6 wheel trucks...
  by NellsChoo

Hi all

I am bringing this topic up again. It seems that the B&M did indeed have green coaches in the past. But now I am wondering if these were really just Pullman cars, or cars from other roads on B&M trains. I'd still like confirmation about these green coaches...

INFO??

JD
  by CAMB.MASON

yes i use to paint custom in nscale. i believe and please do not take me as for sure but i believe they changed the paint scheme around the 1940's not sure of the date to maroon. if you look at early pics from the 20's the cars are in green, but i forget where to place the name plate, i know that that also changed location, either on the name board or under the window. been so long and all my stuff is in storage. sorry can not give more info. for more info check ou
www.faracresfarm.com/jbub/rrbmrr/b_and_m.html. under b&m passenger car roster and modeling.
  by ferroequinarchaeologist

I can confirm, as previously stated, B&M passenger cars were green until WWII, then maroon until the end of passenger service. I seen 'em with my own eyeballs.

PBM
  by NellsChoo

Do your eyes have a USB port? Can you print me up some memories? That would make things easy! :wink:

I am one of those people who need to see things with eyeballs. I guess I am Oculardependant.
  by jbvb

The Unofficial B&M (correct link is: http://www.faracresfarm.com/jbvb/rr/bmrr/b_and_m.html) pages have some pictures of my HO scale models; I wasn't taking pictures back in the locomotive-hauled passenger era on the B&M, as all the B&M's own cars were sold or scrapped by 1966. There are many published pictures of B&M cars in maroon (see any of the color photo books from the past 20 years, most are listed in my bibliography). There are a few of B&M cars in green, because essentially all were repainted before 1950. I don't have specific links, but there are quite a few photos taken between WWII and 1960 on the NERail site: http://photos.nerail.org/
  by ferroequinarchaeologist

>>Do your eyes have a USB port?

I upgraded to FireWire :-D

For modeling non-info, I can also contribute that some green cars had the road name on the above-the-windows letterboard, and others had the name on the car side. This applied whether thay were green or maroon, although all cars of a specific design had the lettering in the same place. I know this doesn't help modelers at all, I was just marveling at the rust flaking off my memory - the biological one, not the solid state version.

I can also recall seeing E-7s in the Rock Island scheme, and to answer the question before it's asked, the back end was a pearly white, definitely not aluminum, but usually covered in dirt.

Am I far enough off topic now? Could someone call my parents to come take me home?

PBM
  by jaymac

To avoid a no-knock visit by the Total Accuracy Police, it would be best -- once colors, car numbers, weathering, lettering position, and all the other details so prized by the TAP have been determined -- to avoid 1:87 or even 1:48 and go only with 1:1 scale. :wink:
  by Cosmo

Well, they DO look similar to the old AMBROID cars, but for accuracy?
I'd ask JVBB! :wink:

Now if only I could find a set like that in G scale! :P
  by NellsChoo

The reason I don't trust early color photos in books is because it appears some cars belonged to Maine Central, New Haven, Pullman, etc. So a photo clearly showing BOSTON & MAINE in green would be pretty nifty to see! But given the era, probably pretty rare.

I wonder why B&M made the switch to maroon? Maybe because the first big diesels were maroon? Was that "Rock Island" style sort of a standard scheme they ordered just because it was available?