• Attempt to wrap a commuter bilevel car.

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by deandremouse

I got bored, tried something new, attempted to apply "corporate graffiti" to a Bombardier Bi level,
This was not meant to be done perfectly. It's a test I did, got bored lol.

by jwhite07

Good test!

Reminds me to perhaps resurrect one of my long-dormant ideas... about ten years ago during the height of the ad-wrap craze, I had scanned a magazine ad for the now-defunct Pets.com (remember the sock puppet dog mascot and the slogan "Because pets can't drive"?) with the idea of creating decals with it and ad-wrapping an IHC Boeing LRV. The side windows would also be covered - at the time, the windows had a perforated wrap that you could still see out of, but not in. Post 9/11 (at least in the Boston area) it became a no-no to obscure the windows ostensibly because law enforcement wanted to be able to see in the vehicle from outside. I got as far as replacing the plug doors with scratchbuilt bi-fold doors to represent a remanufactured Boston LRV, built styrene boxes to approximate Sutrak roof-mounted AC units, and filled in the windows with flush-mounted styrene sheet so the decal would fit over the windows better. Then I set the project aside and forgot about it. I do still have the scanned ad, though - maybe it's time to finally finish that project!
  by deandremouse

jwhite07 wrote:Good test!

Reminds me to perhaps resurrect one of my long-dormant ideas... about ten years ago during the height of the ad-wrap craze, I had scanned a magazine ad for the now-defunct Pets.com (remember the sock puppet dog mascot and the slogan "Because pets can't drive"?) with the idea of creating decals with it and ad-wrapping an IHC Boeing LRV. The side windows would also be covered - at the time, the windows had a perforated wrap that you could still see out of, but not in. Post 9/11 (at least in the Boston area) it became a no-no to obscure the windows ostensibly because law enforcement wanted to be able to see in the vehicle from outside. I got as far as replacing the plug doors with scratchbuilt bi-fold doors to represent a remanufactured Boston LRV, built styrene boxes to approximate Sutrak roof-mounted AC units, and filled in the windows with flush-mounted styrene sheet so the decal would fit over the windows better. Then I set the project aside and forgot about it. I do still have the scanned ad, though - maybe it's time to finally finish that project!
I probably shouldn't have cut out the windows.. but it didnt look right with the pen rim on though.

interesting story, id like to see it finished if you could that would be nice!
  by jwhite07

You wouldn't have to draw on the gaskets necessarily. Ad wrap is often applied right over the gaskets and all!

I did find that LRV and the decal files. Just gave the LRV a base coat of gloss white and will print some decals for it soon... stay tuned!
  by jwhite07

Here it is, or so far anyway:

The windows to be wrapped over were filled in with styrene to reduce relief, but as you can see it's still kinda hard getting the decals to snug in without splitting. I'll have to paint or apply decal scraps there. I'll continue the green color around the ends and then apply destination signs, car numbers and so on, and hopefully find the styrene air conditioners I'd built - the ones pictured are cardstock stand-ins.

This has been a lot of fun so far, and thanks to Deandremouse for reminding me of this long put aside project! I had to have first thought of this idea sometime in the 1998-2000 timeframe, because that's when full ad-wraps were all the rage, the MBTA's remaining Boeings were relatively fresh from rebuild and I was living in Boston and riding them daily, and Pets.com was still extant (like a lot of dot coms, it disappeared nearly as fast as it cropped up!).

Granted, it was pretty rare for rebuilt Boeings to get ad-wrapped because MBTA predominately wrapped only those cars with bad or failing paint jobs, and the rebuilt Boeings still had good paint. Also, I don't think Pets.com ever participated in the ad wrap fad, or at least not in Boston. But still, it was a very amusing ad campaign (you just had to love that sock puppet!), and I scanned a magazine ad to make these. Pets can't drive - but they can take the subway!
  by deandremouse

jwhite07 wrote:Here it is, or so far anyway:

The windows to be wrapped over were filled in with styrene to reduce relief, but as you can see it's still kinda hard getting the decals to snug in without splitting. I'll have to paint or apply decal scraps there. I'll continue the green color around the ends and then apply destination signs, car numbers and so on, and hopefully find the styrene air conditioners I'd built - the ones pictured are cardstock stand-ins.

This has been a lot of fun so far, and thanks to Deandremouse for reminding me of this long put aside project! I had to have first thought of this idea sometime in the 1998-2000 timeframe, because that's when full ad-wraps were all the rage, the MBTA's remaining Boeings were relatively fresh from rebuild and I was living in Boston and riding them daily, and Pets.com was still extant (like a lot of dot coms, it disappeared nearly as fast as it cropped up!).

Granted, it was pretty rare for rebuilt Boeings to get ad-wrapped because MBTA predominately wrapped only those cars with bad or failing paint jobs, and the rebuilt Boeings still had good paint. Also, I don't think Pets.com ever participated in the ad wrap fad, or at least not in Boston. But still, it was a very amusing ad campaign (you just had to love that sock puppet!), and I scanned a magazine ad to make these. Pets can't drive - but they can take the subway!

Regardless it Still looks good! In a month or so I'll change the ad on my car.