• Arrow III Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Matt Johnson

Jtgshu wrote:You sure about that? What would you rather have on a late night super local train to Trenton, on a cold, rainy, windy miserable night?

The MUs will get you there at LEAST 5 minutes faster, if not more, and closer to 10 minutes.

Perhaps, though I've been in Newark catching a Princeton Junction express, looking forward to a nice 100 mph non-stop ride to Princeton Junction, when an Arrow III pulls in instead. They suck for the express run. What makes it worse is the typically dirty seats, and rougher, noisier ride. I'm sure the multilevels will get plenty dirty too in time, but for now they're generally clean and very smooth.
  by cruiser939

Jtgshu wrote:Sooooooooo, what was then end result of the experiement? NJT isn't running 12 car 2 motor sets any more, instead has gone the route of nearly all 9 and 10 car trains with 1 ALP, which is going in the total opposite direction of trying to come close to MU acceloration.
I'm surprised that no one picked up on this, but there was a 10 car ML set roaming the corridor for the last 2 weeks with a 46 on either end for some performance testing.
Last edited by cruiser939 on Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Terrapin Station

Jtgshu wrote:Wasn't there already a RFP last year on these cars?
I seem to remember that too.

Edit: I guess maybe it was just discussed here that specs were being drawn up and that an RFP would be issued some time in the future. Also it seems there was a Railway Age article. Here's the old thread: LINK

Edit #2: Here's the old article: Railway Age
Last edited by Terrapin Station on Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
  by Fan Railer

why can't njt be smart and consider bi/multi-level emu's? it would certainly remedie the acceleration problem...
  by Jtgshu

cruiser939 wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:Sooooooooo, what was then end result of the experiement? NJT isn't running 12 car 2 motor sets any more, instead has gone the route of nearly all 9 and 10 car trains with 1 ALP, which is going in the total opposite direction of trying to come close to MU acceloration.
I'm surprised that no one picked up on this, but there was been a 10 car ML set roaming the corridor for the last 2 weeks with a 46 on either end for some performance testing.
Interesting, I haven't come across or noticed that. I had no idea we had that many ALPs to spare.

I bet it actually is pretty quick. the 12 car 2 '46 set was surprisingly peppy, and the brakes were damn near incredible - however, it was a little bumpy with the hind ALP pulling back when in dynamic, especially if the front and rear ALPs came on in dynamic at slightly different times. but once you got the hang of it it wasn't THAT bad, but it was a pain because it was just sooooooo long! hahahha Felt like a long distance Amtrak train!
  by cobra30689

Do I even want to know the amount of current drawn when you get THAT behemoth moving..... :-)
And just out of curiosity...any particular reason why the ALP's are placed on each end, rather than elephant style?
  by Kaback9

transit383 wrote:What are the chances of NJT tacking onto SEPTA's Silverliner V order? Or is NJT going to do what they usually do and re-invent the wheel?
NO NO NO NO NO, that thing is an over sized Subway car, thats the last thing NJT needs. Not to mention its made by ROTEM...and their track record is eh not so good.
  by Matt Johnson

The mid-train doors on the Silverliner V wouldn't work on curved platforms like the Princeton Junction "Dinky" platform.
  by Jtgshu

Matt Johnson wrote:The mid-train doors on the Silverliner V wouldn't work on curved platforms like the Princeton Junction "Dinky" platform.
Nor does it look like they would they line up wiht any of the low level wooden platforms on the NEC.
  by cruiser939

Matt Johnson wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:I'm surprised that no one picked up on this, but there was been a 10 car ML set roaming the corridor for the last 2 weeks with a 46 on either end for some performance testing.
Just saw this photo of it yesterday!

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=270394&nseq=21
That's the one. I believe it had the 4624 on the other end though I could be mistaken.
  by transit383

The problem that NJT runs into with any kind of new MU is the crashworthiness of the cab. Look at the Comet V cab cars... there is no door on the engineer's side and the fireman's side has a door that is high level only. So a new married pair, unlike the Arrows, would not have four doors for low level boarding. It could only have two low level doors at the center of the pair, one on each car respectively. Will be interesting to see how NJT overcomes this. Perhaps four car EMU sets?
  by Kaback9

cruiser939 wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:I'm surprised that no one picked up on this, but there was been a 10 car ML set roaming the corridor for the last 2 weeks with a 46 on either end for some performance testing.
Just saw this photo of it yesterday!

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=270394&nseq=21
That's the one. I believe it had the 4624 on the other end though I could be mistaken.
It was 4628, http://kaback9.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... id=1481389 caught it Friday waiting for ACES.
  by R36 Combine Coach

The Arrows are getting old (30+ years), but I respect them for speed (quick pick-up). They, along with the M-1/M-2/M-3 are among the last stainless MUs built by Red Lion.