• Arrow III Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by E-44

Noticed some activity at the ABB building in New Brunswick (trackside on Livingston Ave. east of County yard). ABB-labeled trucks were on the property and it looked like an unloading (as opposed to moving out) activity.

Could it possibly be a precursor to some Arrow III work being done?

by Nasadowsk

Could be anything - ABB also supplies other electric stuff to NJT, and I know a few sub breakers are up for changeout - and NJT uses ABB there, too.
  by Septa3371CSX

then what will happen to the Princeton Dinky? I can't see a one car push pull train operating on that. Does this mean NJT is obligated to get MUs to replace at least part of the Arrow III fleet or will they decide to abandon the dinky in favour of a bus route?

by cpontani

Why not? A cab car and an Alp? :P

I thought that NJT would never abandon the EMU completely, especially with the M&E stops being so close to each other. Or they can always tack on one or two cars to the Sliverliner V order.

by Irish Chieftain

Been discussed here before that weight restrictions on (IIRC) the bridge over US 1 in Princeton preclude any locomotive operation on the Princeton Branch. The BRT "idea" for Princeton Branch conversion is dead.

NJT's trying their hardest to buck a NYC metro area trend. Both LIRR and Metro-North got their new MUs; NJT's long overdue.
  by PrimeMover

Would anyone here know about or ever heard how much money had been saved over the years on brake shoes for the Arrow IIIs after the rebuild when the dynamic brakes were added?

I just remember the years of watching Trenton bound trains come into New Brunswick hard on the brakes. Right after the train would round the curve on the north (east) side of the Raritan River, the engineer would get on the brakes and stay on them hard until the train came to a stop at New Brunswick station. The cloud of brake smoke was something to see and smell!

Obviously the dynamic brakes made the long clouds of brake smoke a thing of the past. The dynamics also let trains approach a station faster and stop faster. Were timetables adjusted after Arrow III rebuilds?

by Uzi-Cat

Approximately 1,236,452.95. Of course, adjusted for inflation.

by nick11a

Personally, I love when the dynamics of a married pair or single fail in a trainset. That smell really brings back memories.

by Uzi-Cat

Nick:
Try stopping a train at a station when the MU's think the dynamic is working but it isn't. 10PSI of brake cylinder isn't much. Fun though. :-D

by thebigc

I think the real savings has been in wheel wear, truing, and replacement. With the advent of the blended brakes on the Arrows, I've noted far fewer of them on the Wheel Machine in Hoboken. Before the rebuilding, I used to reload the machine with Arrows (II and III) on an almost daily basis.
  by moveonrp

Today, I was riding on Arrow III #1356. In the vestibule, I noticed an unusual plaque that read

"Vehicle subject to a lease dated as of June 29, 1993 between ABB Leasing GmbH, Owner and New Jersey Transit Corporation, Lessee?

I've never seen this plaque before. Did all of the Arrow III's have these plaques at one time? Does anyone know the history of this?

Have a look:

by sullivan1985

Some do. Some don't it's hit or miss. Same with the GE builders tags they used to have inside. Most of them have probably been "borrowed".

by Taborite

I've seen lease plates on a few of the Comet Is too ("State of New Jersey: Owner and Lessor").

by redarrow5591

SEPTA has them as well on the 'F' end inside vestibule door of the Silverliner IVs. Depending on the car, it's either "Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority - Owner" or "City of Philadelphia - Department of Public Property - Owner."
  by kdjohnson

Its funny I noticed signs like this and even on some of the new busses that NJT has purchased. It seems that while NJT is paying for the equipment, leasing companies hold ownership until the equipment is paid for or fully delivered.

Usually for the busses, I see them take the Lease holder's name off the equipment once Transit has complete ownership.