• Another derailment... Jamaica 11/23

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Amtrak7

Sunday, November 23, 2008

12:30 PM

LIRR Customers:

LIRR service is suspended through Jamaica Station as the result of a derailment just west of Jamaica Station. NYC Transit is honoring LIRR tickets on the E, J and Z trains in Jamaica.

The Port Washington Branch is not being affected..
LIRR train service through Jamaica is suspended in both directions as the result of a derailment just west of Jamaica Station.

NY Transit is honoring fares for the E, J and Z subway lines. Nov-23-2008 12:51:15PM
Quoting transit blogger:
I will repeat what I said 5 days ago when I blogged about the accident that occurred on Wednesday:

“This issue has to be looked into since this is the second known accident in the area this year.”

I need to now change that line to say this is the third known accident in the area this year. What the hell is going on that one accident after another is happening in & around the same area. This can’t be a coincidence can it? Something tells me it isn’t……
Does anyone have more info?
Last edited by Amtrak7 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Jishnu

LIRR is clearly not having a good run.....

I happened to be passing by Jamaica and ran smack dab into this incident and got held up.....

LIRR managed to derail an eastbound train consisting of M7s at the western end of the platform of three eastbound platform tracks. It was a low speed event as an eastbound train was entering Jamaica station.

It looked like the rear truck of the third car from the rear picked a switch while the train was coming into one platform, causing the rear end of that car and the following two cars to attempt to go into the adjacent platform track. Since there was a platform on the way this exercise could not proceed for too long and the train came to a stop with the third car from the rear bridging the two tracks and the last two cars on the other track. The last car also appears to have derailed in addition.

Mind you this is a summary of what I observed as I passed by on a westbound train to New York Penn about two hours after the derailment took place. What actually happened may be different from the impression that I got from seeing how the cars were laid out. As usual take this description as a preliminary one and await a more complete report from the real investigation before jumping to any conclusions.

Here are links to a few pictures I took using my iPhone from the train to New York as we passed by:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31859943@N06/3053463195/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31859943@N06/3054297350/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31859943@N06/3054297610/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31859943@N06/3053463993/
  by LongIslandTool

Monday's rush-hour is going to be a HUGE problem.

It seems that signal maintainers are not answering their phones to come in for the overtime and fix the signal system.
It seems that trackmen are not answering their phones to come in for the overtime and fix the tracks.
It seems that the wreck crew is not answering their phones to come in for the overtime and rerail this mess.

Helena WIlliams' referred to them as thieves in the media who are hungry for overtime. They want to prove they really don't want the overtime.

Unless Governor Patterson cans her tonight, give yourselves LOTS of time getting to work tomorrow.
  by Nova55

If that isnt the definition of what comes around goes around, I don't know what is...
  by RPM2Night

LongIslandTool wrote:Monday's rush-hour is going to be a HUGE problem.

It seems that signal maintainers are not answering their phones to come in for the overtime and fix the signal system.
It seems that trackmen are not answering their phones to come in for the overtime and fix the tracks.
It seems that the wreck crew is not answering their phones to come in for the overtime and rerail this mess.

Helena WIlliams' referred to them as thieves in the media who are hungry for overtime. They want to prove they really don't want the overtime.

Unless Governor Patterson cans her tonight, give yourselves LOTS of time getting to work tomorrow.

Remember the days when management would support those hard working individuals that keep things going and defend them, being greatful for their hard work and saying they are worth every penny?
  by Otto Vondrak

RPM2Night wrote:Remember the days when management would support those hard working individuals that keep things going and defend them, being greatful for their hard work and saying they are worth every penny?
Indeed. Let's make sure we're discussing the events of the derailment, though?
  by Amtrak7

Here come the AM Peak changes...
Sunday, November 23, 2008 9:00 PM

LIRR CUSTOMERS ARE ADVISED TO EXPECT CANCELED TRAINS, DELAYS FOR MONDAY AM RUSH, NOVEMBER 24

MTA Long Island Rail Road customers should anticipate significant schedule changes and possible delays tomorrow morning as a result of a derailment that occurred in Jamaica on Sunday.

LIRR crews are working overnight to try and repair damage to switches and track caused by the derailment, but it is likely that all the work will not be completed in time for the Monday morning rush hour service.

The cause of the derailment is under investigation; however this incident is not related to the train sideswipe that occurred in Jamaica on November 19.

The Monday AM Rush service plan includes cancellation of 12 westbound AM rush trains. As a result, there will be residual delays from added station stops and not all scheduled connections will be available at Jamaica Station to Penn Station, Flatbush Avenue-Brooklyn, Hunterspoint Avenue, and Long Island City. LIRR station personnel will be available at Jamaica to assist customers with service information. The modified plan also includes service changes for the eastbound AM Rush.

Westbound AM Peak Service:

The following westbound AM Rush trains will be canceled in the modified service plan:

* 6:25 AM train from Hicksville, scheduled to arrive in Penn Station at 7:11 AM
* 6:26 AM train from Massapequa Park, scheduled to arrive in Penn Station at 7:22 AM
* 6:57 AM train from Freeport, scheduled to arrive in Penn Station at 7:40 AM.
* 7:23 AM train from Hempstead, scheduled to arrive in Flatbush Avenue at 8:20 AM
* 7:29 AM train from Freeport, scheduled to arrive in Penn Station at 8:13 AM
* 7:40 AM train from Ronkonkoma, scheduled to arrive in Flatbush Avenue at 9:01 AM
* 7:43 AM train from Merrick, scheduled to arrive in Penn Station at 8:31 AM
* 8:03 AM train from Long Beach, scheduled to arrive in Penn Station at 8:54 AM
* 8:03 AM train from Valley Stream, scheduled to arrive in Penn Station at 8:42 AM
* 8:38 AM train from Long Beach, scheduled to arrive in Flatbush Avenue at 9:26 AM

The following trains will terminate in Jamaica:

* 7:12 AM train from Hempstead, scheduled to arrive in Penn Station at 8:03 AM
* 7:16 AM train from West Hempstead, scheduled to arrive in Flatbush Avenue at 8:03 AM

Eastbound (Reverse Peak) Service:

LIRR eastbound, reverse peak service from Flatbush Avenue, Brooklyn will be extremely limited -- with one passenger train departing the Brooklyn terminal per hour. Customers should consider using Penn Station reverse peak service, which is expected to operate at regularly scheduled times; however customers should anticipate delays en-route.

The following trains will operate from Flatbush Avenue:

5:29 AM train from Flatbush Avenue, scheduled to arrive in Long Beach at 6:22 AM
5:52 AM train from Flatbush Avenue, scheduled to arrive in West Hempstead at 6:38 AM
6:48 AM train from Flatbush Avenue, scheduled to arrive in Long Beach at 7:36 AM
7:51 AM train from Flatbush Avenue, scheduled to arrive in Hempstead at 8:38 AM
8:37 AM train from Flatbush Avenue, scheduled to arrive in Hempstead at 9:26 AM
9:36 AM train from Flatbush Avenue, scheduled to arrive in Hempsteat at 10:28 AM

Service Updates:

The LIRR will continue to update this Service Advisory as track repairs are made. Customers should monitor news media reports and the LIRR's website (at http://www.mta.info/lirr) for updates to this AM modified service plan and information regarding PM train service.

For up-to-date travel service information, customers can also contact the LIRR's 24-hour Travel Information Center in Suffolk County at 631-231-LIRR, in Nassau County at 516-822-LIRR or in New York City at 718-217-LIRR. The Travel Information Center's TDD telephone number for the hearing impaired is 718-558-3022.
I will modify this as the posting changes.
Expect chaos, and I am not talking math.
Last edited by Amtrak7 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Kaback9

This has not been the LIRR's week.
  by geico

This should be fun tomorrow morning...

At this rate, the LIRR will be out ot equipment shortly... What is this Amtrak?
  by drumz0rz

geico wrote:This should be fun tomorrow morning...

So lets see, there were 2 M7's and 1 C3 taken out of service this week (we'll even say that 6 cars were involved assuming they don't separate the pairs), next there are 836 M7's 170 M3's and 134 C3's. At this rate the LIRR will be out of equipment in 190 weeks or 3.65 years.
  by cpontani

drumz0rz wrote:
geico wrote:This should be fun tomorrow morning...

So lets see, there were 2 M7's and 1 C3 taken out of service this week (we'll even say that 6 cars were involved assuming they don't separate the pairs), next there are 836 M7's 170 M3's and 134 C3's. At this rate the LIRR will be out of equipment in 190 weeks or 3.65 years.
How about a DM or two catching fire? Maybe we can get that number under 3 years. :P

I saw the cover of Newsday, and thought it was odd that they'd put the old accident on the cover. What is with the M7's picking switches???

As yes, the Port Washington Branch is unaffected by this.
  by Head-end View

I just saw the early morning news and as the sun rose the derailed trains are apparently still right where they were yesterday. This is gonna be some Blue Monday on the LIRR !