• Amtrak HHP-8 Discussion: Use, Reliability, Disposition

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Irish Chieftain

Information:
  • Built by Bombardier/Alstom and entered service in '99
    8,000 horsepower
    Equipped with automatic variable-tap transformers (can operate under 11.5 kV 25Hz, 12kV 60Hz and 25kV 60Hz AC OHLE)
    125 mph top speed; Tier I crashworthiness compliant
    Rumored to be able to pull 16 cars (i.e match the E60CP's pulling power); only been witnessed pulling 14 cars
    (personal opinion) Very ugly
    Originally had decals reading "Acela"; replaced with "Amtrak" decals
    Only other operator is Maryland Rail Commuter (MARC)

by AEM7AC920

If you google the things you are looking for, you will find all the pics you need.

by shadyjay

I noticed that two HHP-8s which were stored out of service (including 664? which was OOS for over a year and was stored) are now back on the active roster, but under repair. This information courtesy of gobytrain.us. Perhaps Amtrak had to wait until they assumed responsibility of these locomotives (from the consortium) before they repaired them? Thoughts or comments?

-Jay H.

by sixty-six

No faster than the AEM-7s
  by amtrakhogger

Too much HP for the weight=too much wheel slip, especially when it
is raining! Meatballs are little better.
  by travelinjack

jimzim66 wrote:No faster than the AEM-7s
Although maximum speeds are limited to 125 MPH for both, when pulling an equal load, the HHP-8 does accelerate faster. Of course I mean on dry rail.
amtrakhogger wrote:Too much HP for the weight=too much wheel slip, especially when it
is raining! Meatballs are little better.
I couldn't agree more with this. My 2 biggest complaints about the HHP-8's are the wheel slip and the lack of visibility.

by Tadman

I always wondered about the visibility issue - I notice the HHP8 probably has the visibility of a submarine captain looking through a periscope, and it also looks like P42 and Acela visibility is about the same - but I've never actually operated or been in the cab of any, so how do they stack up? I'm mostly an MU rider, so I have good perspective there, and I ride the occasional geep or goat around. I'm used to very good visibility, in other words.

by Eric Kreszl

I agree with you. I always wondered about the Visibilty of the the HHP-8 Electric locomotives. It would be good to see a shot of the locomotive cabs ineterior.

Eric

by travelinjack

The cabs of the Acela and HHP-8 are identical. There are some differences in controls obviously. (tilt control, independent brake to name a few). Your visibility is limited to what's right in front of you. I realize that the majority of the time, that is what is most important. There are times though when a more "panoramic" view would be helpful. Especially making a station stop with an HHP-8. "Marks" are harder to see.

As far as the P-42's are concearned, they aren't quite as bad. Still not as good as the near "fish bowl" view of the AEM-7 though.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

what happened to 664?

http://gobytrain.us/amtrak/notes/#HHP8

this website says that it was involved in a collision in baltimore in 06, what happened and how bad was the damage?

by hsr_fan

I seem to recall that it hit some MOW equipment parked on a siding that was fouling the main track.

I'd be curious to know if AEM-7's 922 and 930 will ever return to service.
  by alex45

How come HHP8's stay down south rather then north? Toasters seem to be up north. Is there a reason why they liked to be stored down south?
Last edited by alex45 on Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by DutchRailnut

I see HHP-8's heading for Beantown every day when I am in Stamford Ct. but with a 3 to 1 ratio AEM-7 vs HHP-8 units in Amtrak fleet its is average of every 3 to 4th train that has the HHP-8.

by midnight_ride

Also, I believe that the HHPs are often used on LD trains heading South out of NYP because of the locomotive's additional horsepower.