• Amtrak HHP-8 Discussion: Use, Reliability, Disposition

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by mjsax2390

In the limited amount of times I have rode regional trains, I have always had HHP-8's north of New York and AEM-7s south of New York. I haven't rode all that often, but I have never seen an HHP-8 south of Penn Station.

by Patrick A.

I saw two HHP's on the NH line in the past two days pulling regionals, I think they were 631 on Monday afternoon, and 608 today. I saw 631 heading towards BOS passing Fairfield,CT around 3:15PM Monday and 608 was heading towards NYP/WAS in the Norwalk,CT area around the same time on Tuesday.

Patrick

by alex45

I had #656 pull me on Regional train 177 from South Station yesterday

by Skullitor

How many total HHP-8's are there? I think 15 right?
Skull

by chuchubob

Skullitor wrote:How many total HHP-8's are there? I think 15 right?
Skull
Right. According to this website, one was out of service, so fourteen were active as of Feb 2.

by Skullitor

chuchubob wrote:
Skullitor wrote:How many total HHP-8's are there? I think 15 right?
Skull
Right. According to this website, one was out of service, so fourteen were active as of Feb 2.
Thanks,Bob :wink:
Skull
  by jp1822

Train 170 northbound out of Washington DC to Boston had a HHP-8 last Friday. I think it is safe to say the HHP-8's roam the NEC. To see an HHP-8 out on the Harrisburg Line, that would be a little extraordinary.
  by alex43

jp1822 wrote:Train 170 northbound out of Washington DC to Boston had a HHP-8 last Friday. I think it is safe to say the HHP-8's roam the NEC. To see an HHP-8 out on the Harrisburg Line, that would be a little extraordinary.
Saw train 170 today, it had an HHP8 on it

by shadyjay

According to the logs on www.gobytrain.us....
the long stored out of service HHP-8 #663 which was stored a few years ago is now back in service. This leaves just #664 as being out of service, but under repair.
That's a good sign.

by acela 2036

It seems that the HHP8's will stay down south mostly. You dont see that many up north, usually on the weekends, they will put HHP8's on regional trains to Boston.

by TomNelligan

How's their reliability these days? I read elsewhere about one dying in Metro North territory on Memorial Day and stranding a holiday trainfull of passengers for several hours.

by BmSmall14

The HHP's are junk. I had one break down on me two weeks ago. I was suppose to have an HHP on friday but it broke down in DC before the train could depart.

by acela 2036

I even talked to one of the guys that turns the trains around at the south Hampton yard in Boston, he said that the AEM7's r a lot more reliable and that the HHP8's were not built well