• Amtrak Diner and Food Service Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by electricron

That menu is terrible. Ugh!

American Airlines in the late 1930s when they introduced hot meals aboard DC3s had a limited menu far superior that what Amtrak is proposing. It was fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, english peas, and apple pie. That's what I would call an all American traditional dinner that most Americans would still love to eat today. We could modernize it and use chicken tenders, substitute potato salad for the mashed potatoes, replace the peas with a salad, and substitute an apple turnover for the slice of apple pie. The turnovers could be warmed in a toaster, the tenders kept warm in an oven, and both salads could be kept cold in the fridge and not heated at all. At least it would be a traditional American dinner instead of a poor attempt of serving cold gourmet food.
  by David Benton

bostontrainguy wrote:So this is a Charcuterie Plate:

Not bad . . . . for an appetizer!
charcuterie.jpg
Now where is my dinner?
One problem , a fair slice of the population probably don't like Celery and/or olives, they probably need a bland choice as well.
  by Backshophoss

Believe Amtrak is changing over to the"Panera Bread" model for Food service,Bread,,Vegetables,some dairy products,and Deli Meats.
and doing this change system wide!
  by Matt Johnson

Seriously, the new menu looks so bad it's like they're not even trying, or more like they have to be intentionally trying to kill off the trains by making them completely unappealing to customers.
  by mtuandrew

At the least, they're trying to kill off the meal service and first-class lounge.

Seriously, just make the Viewliners into cafe-lounges with a $500 Dutch door:
Last edited by mtuandrew on Sat May 19, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by bostontrainguy

Actually there were plans to make them into both diners and lounges. See excerpt below.

This article is pretty interesting:

https://csanders429.wordpress.com/2011/ ... e-limited/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Excerpt:

In a pilot program, Amtrak will convert the Lake Shore Limited dining car into a club-diner that will continue to offer full-service meals, but add at-table beverage service outside of normal meal hours. As for the lounge car, the new offerings will include freshly-prepared sandwiches and salads similar to those served in café cars aboard the Boston-Washington Acela Express. If the Lake Shore Limited club-diner concept is successful, it may be expanded to other long-distance trains.
  by mtuandrew

That article just makes me angry, since I and others here have been advocating that concept for years. It's frustrating that Amtrak first spent millions on diner-only cars, then decided, nope, they'll just be picnic tables and ice boxes.
  by jcpatten

bostontrainguy wrote:Actually there were plans to make them into both diners and lounges. See excerpt below.

This article is pretty interesting:

https://csanders429.wordpress.com/2011/ ... e-limited/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I got excited (earlier Boston arrival, cool diner/lounge concept) until I realized it was 2012ish that this was written. :(
  by chrsjrcj

According to that link, coach passengers make up 47% of meals served in the dining car. That seems to contradict the assumption that most dining car patrons are sleeping car passengers.
  by R36 Combine Coach

While on topic, would the recent loss of 28002 (2/4/18) affect the Amfleet II fleet of (now) 24 diner/lounges? The Amfleet IIs were really pressed hard, given that they were pushed into diner service on the Lake Shore in addition to their assignments on the other eastern routes.
  by Backshophoss

The "Panera Bread" was used as a reference point as it's a national chain,that seems to "where" food service is going at this point in time.
  by bostontrainguy

Found this article today:

https://csanders429.wordpress.com/2018/ ... employees/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Most important excerpts:

Amtrak told its employees that the plan to offer sleeping car passengers pre-packaged cold meals is temporary.

Coach passengers will not be allowed to use this [new CAF diner] lounge, which will have an Amtrak attendant on duty but there will be no table service. The attendant . . . will be on duty between 6:30 a.m. to 10 p.m . . . . lounge will be available for passenger use for the duration of the journey.

Although sleeping car passengers will have the option of eating in their rooms . . . this is “subject to refinement as we move forward.”

The memo suggests that the meal program on both trains will be reviewed after the summer travel season.

Another forum posted this yesterday:
It's interesting that the new menu has been withdrawn from the Amtrak website. I'm thinking they've gotten a LOT of negative feedback about the new menu without a commensurate drop in sleeping car prices. Free soda and 1 free booze hardly make up for the loss of hot food!
Last edited by bostontrainguy on Mon May 21, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.