• Amtrak Capitol Limited Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ToledoRailFan

Definitely.

I really need this trip... I'm going back to stay with some friends from college for a long weekend. I can't tell if I am more excited about the train trip, or visiting my alma mater and friends. In 2007, I averaged a plane trip every 3.6 weeks - as much as I enjoy flying, I am looking forward to a relaxing long trip.
  by Sam Damon

jp1822 wrote:I've found it questionable if the Capitol Limited will actually serve lunch or not, as it is scheduled to arrive into Washington DC around 1:30 p.m. Typically it is a very quick or extremely modified lunch when they have served it. And the diner has to be cleaned up by its arrival if on-time into Washington DC. So that could mean an "early lunch" for some that often is not preferred. So not sure how much publicity the Capitol Limited's lunch gets eastbound. When the Capitol Limited left Chicago at 5:35 p.m. with a 11:59 a.m. arrival into Washington DC, lunch was hardly ever served unless the train was extremely late.
Good point.

On my last trip, we didn't depart Pittsburgh until 7:30a. The odd delay CSX gave us ensured the diner would serve a lunch. I seem to recall the diner opened at noon for lunch as we were about to get stuck in Cumberland, MD. The diner shut down after our stop in Martinsburg, WV, IIRC. On that trip, we ended up in Washington, DC about two and a half hours off the timecard.
  by shlustig

Does anyone know the reason for the 6' delay between CHI and SOB????????

No similar delay to #48 Lake Shore Limited.

Title edited by a Moderator (clarity) 6/26/08 605PM CDT
  by shlustig

Still unaware of the reason for the delay; however:

Dp. CHI - OT
Dp. SOB - 6' 20" LATE
Dp. TOL - 7' 26" LATE
Dp. CLE - 7' 05" LATE
Dp. PGH - 8' 15" LATE
Dp. CUM - 8' 35" LATE
AR WAS - 8' 33" LATE

So, even with 1' 25" Padding between CLE and WAS, the train lost an additional 1' 25" en route.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Just when it appeared the railroads were starting to do a better job of getting Amtrak over the road, God steps in with other ideas.
  by icgsteve

according to my calculations the average speed was about 30mph....getting near horse and buggy speeds.
  by gprimr1

A delay of 7 hours suggests a possible derailment, sun kink, slow orders or other extraordinary circumstance.
  by Gilbert B Norman

To summarize thoughts expressed here, Amtrak has three warm-weather maintenance facilities (Hialeah, Sanford, LA-Redondo) that have been used in the past for thawing out cars. Additionally, they have had a New Orleans facility, but somewhere I learned post Katrina, activities there are limited to that needed to turn trains. New Orleans does represent the closest "heating shelter' for Chicago equipment; Mother Nature should start to go to work as soon as frozen equipment deadheading Southward on 59 passes Memphis.

They also have a 'not-cold-weather" facility at Oakland.
  by wigwagfan

Gilbert B Norman wrote:To summarize thoughts expressed here, Amtrak has three warm-weather maintenance facilities (Hialeah, Sanford, LA-Redondo) that have been used in the past for thawing out cars.
While certainly not 70 degree-year-round, Seattle's maintenance facility doesn't freeze to the extent that Chicago or the northeast does.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Point noted, Mr. Benton.

I think I am the "culprit' as I posted a thought intended to be placed elsewhere.

I'm prepared to withdraw my material (or will concur with a Moderator's removal of such); however to preserve continuity, Mr. Halstaed will have to do same.
  by quadrock

Hi All,

I just came back from a Capitol Limited (departed Chicago 3/1/09). My trip actually begain in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I took a Hiawatha train from MKE and switched over to the Capitol Limited. I ended in Washington, DC and jumped on a Northeast Regional to go home.

Here's the funny thing, the longest delay I encountered was on the Northeast Corridor. I found it unbelievable that the Capitol Limited arrived into Washington, DC about a half hour early and even more amazing that I can't recall a single time during the trip that it was running late. I can't speak for the time I was sleeping, but during all my waking hours, we were early, and had to wait at many stations for a longer period of time then scheduled, just so we didn't leave early. Is this a sign of how things are going to be with the freight railroads? Or did I just get really lucky?

One more observation: I traveled coach (a rarity for me on a LD trip) and the lack of electrical outlets was crazy! People would actually sit on the lower level of the Sightseer Car with cords going into the bathroom outlet. Did I just get an older Superliner or are all coach class Superliners like this?
  by gprimr1

Well it is true that with the economy slowing down, there is less freight traffic, but to a large extent yes you did get lucky. Also, Sundays are usually slow days on the railroad.

Unfortunately, the outlet program that was so successful on the Northeast Corridor has not yet made it to the Super liner Coaches. With the new administration, I hope this is one of the first changes made.
  by quadrock

So none of the coach Superliners have outlets, correct?

Also, I read previosly about Superliner I and Superliner II cars? Do these refer only to sleepers...as in are all coach class Superliners Superliner Is?

Thanks.