• Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by west point

If 601 cannot be repaired and another is bought then would expect it to be next number above end. That is because a unit built at the end of the order will have subtle differences that say 600 - 606. A replacement will be much like the last unit now planned.
  by ACeInTheHole

I personally wonder if it was 638 responsible for the failure or the cab car on 645. 638 was shoving when it passed me at the airport.. Then when the train came back through Edison on its way to Metropark to discharge.. The train seemed to be making track speed. It actually blew past 176 heading the same direction (on the restricted Track 2). It was interesting, did 638 just stop communicating with the cab car or something?
  by TrainPhotos

ACeInTheHole wrote:I personally wonder if it was 638 responsible for the failure or the cab car on 645. 638 was shoving when it passed me at the airport.. Then when the train came back through Edison on its way to Metropark to discharge.. The train seemed to be making track speed. It actually blew past 176 heading the same direction (on the restricted Track 2). It was interesting, did 638 just stop communicating with the cab car or something?
Do you mean the trailing (leading) locomotive couldn't talk thru the locomotive between it and the rest of the train? From what I'm reading here, that may be one of the "known" MU bugs? My hopes remain high for these new lovomotves...
  by USRailFan

TrainPhotos wrote:I am still super curious about 601. If it is dead, my wondering is if they will produce another unit with same number, or make it a higher number at the tail end of the order. Sad that derailment had to happen, but at least it put Amtrak & transit infrastructure and equipment funding issues in the spotlight...
If just the frame is knackered, they might well just build a new frame and shell, and perhaps bogies, and then just put all the usable stuff from 601 into it... If that's the case they may well keep the number, too...
  by andegold

Around 7:25 this morning an ACS-64 came through Princeton Junction with a regional. Going too fast to really catch a good look as I wasn't expecting anything unusual but it had a different paint job. A lot of red and I couldn't tell what else. Has this been discussed already?
  by NJRAILNUT

andegold wrote:Around 7:25 this morning an ACS-64 came through Princeton Junction with a regional. Going too fast to really catch a good look as I wasn't expecting anything unusual but it had a different paint job. A lot of red and I couldn't tell what else. Has this been discussed already?
This was the specially painted "veterans unit," number 642. There are some pictures of it posted by user churchubob on the previous page of this thread.
  by Fan Railer

This was originally on Facebook, but I found it too humorous not to share with those of you who don't have an account there and have not seen this (*cough*TR7*cough*):
Credit goes to G. Grice for this masterpiece :P
  by gregorygrice

jackintosh11 wrote:Where's the HHP-8? :-D
They have already been banished from the land. They're in the shadowed area now :)
  by Train2009

#606 and #636 were seen sitting at Sunnyside yard this afternoon on a Regional set, the 9th/last car looks like it had a Amfleet II.
  by ApproachMedium

HHP-8s are scars stupid hyenas.
  by ACeInTheHole

Well, ACS64 #645 looks like its sittin pretty in Philadelphia waiting to test.
  by Fan Railer

Don't think this was reported here, but 650 and 651 have been sighted on the Zephyr (not together) on their way east.