• Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Martin Baumann

Searching photo sites has shown 630 631 633 634 635 637 in revenue service. Have 632 or 636 entered service yet? Did not find anything for these two other than 636 on a test train.
  by acelaphillies

I am looking through the last few pages trying to get everything straight here; am I correct that the last group to be released from the factory included the 640, 641, and 642? I know the 642 is tied up at Beech Grove at the moment and the 640 is the unit currently causing trouble. If the 640 testing is postponed is it likely that we will not se any more test trains until the next wave arrives from CA? I want to catch a few of these testing and my schedule is pretty light right now.

On a different note, check out these photoshopped ACS-64 pictures. Someone named Tom Hirano submitted these "what-if" pictures to the Hebners Amtrak photo archive. They are too cool! Here is a little sample:
http://www.hebners.net/amtrak/amtACS/To ... 18Phs3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check out the rest at the bottom of this page: http://www.hebners.net/amtrak/amtACS64.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by chuchubob

643 was reported on the eastbound California Zephyr in Iowa yesterday.
  by Greg Moore

acelaphillies wrote:I am looking through the last few pages trying to get everything straight here; am I correct that the last group to be released from the factory included the 640, 641, and 642? I know the 642 is tied up at Beech Grove at the moment and the 640 is the unit currently causing trouble. If the 640 testing is postponed is it likely that we will not se any more test trains until the next wave arrives from CA? I want to catch a few of these testing and my schedule is pretty light right now.

On a different note, check out these photoshopped ACS-64 pictures. Someone named Tom Hirano submitted these "what-if" pictures to the Hebners Amtrak photo archive. They are too cool! Here is a little sample:
http://www.hebners.net/amtrak/amtACS/To ... 18Phs3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check out the rest at the bottom of this page: http://www.hebners.net/amtrak/amtACS64.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You know, honestly, I think Amtrak has better things to do with its money then do a "heritage fleet" paint scheme, but damn, some of these look good.

I suggest Amtrak license the designs to an HO manufacturer and use the money to paint up the 1:1 scale locos like this. Pick all the railroads Amtrak runs on on the NEC.

I think the McGinnis scheme and either the dark green or brown Pennsy schemes are winners.
  by mtuandrew

acelaphillies wrote:
Greg Moore wrote:On a different note, check out these photoshopped ACS-64 pictures. Someone named Tom Hirano submitted these "what-if" pictures to the Hebners Amtrak photo archive. They are too cool! Here is a little sample:

You know, honestly, I think Amtrak has better things to do with its money then do a "heritage fleet" paint scheme, but damn, some of these look good.

I suggest Amtrak license the designs to an HO manufacturer and use the money to paint up the 1:1 scale locos like this. Pick all the railroads Amtrak runs on on the NEC.

I think the McGinnis scheme and either the dark green or brown Pennsy schemes are winners.
*whistles* Man, those are pretty. I do love the McGinnis and both the green and red Pennsys, but I also think the silver Pennsy and the clown-nose Amtrak (of all things!) are fantastic. He needs to do them up in Reading and E-L colors while he's at it.

Also, I hope that the black-nose MARC, the McGinnis Metro-North, the SEPTA, and the lightning MBTA all happen someday, in real life.

EDIT: and why not encourage Amtrak to go for a vinyl wrap instead?
  by ApproachMedium

With the current issues going on with ACS-64s, i think paint schemes and wraps are the last thing amtrak is worried about.
  by Greg Moore

ApproachMedium wrote:With the current issues going on with ACS-64s, i think paint schemes and wraps are the last thing amtrak is worried about.
Well if this keeps up, they may have to simply shrinkwrap them and put them out to Davis–Monthan Air Force Base
  by acelaphillies

ApproachMedium wrote:With the current issues going on with ACS-64s, i think paint schemes and wraps are the last thing amtrak is worried about.
However, it seems to be the very thing that they are concerning themselves with in Beech Grove in the form of the #642.
Greg Moore wrote:You know, honestly, I think Amtrak has better things to do with its money then do a "heritage fleet" paint scheme
If I was thinking logically, I would probably agree with you. But hey, buffs will be buffs and right now my buff "but what if..." emotions are taking over my logic. So, IF Amtrak were ever to apply special paint schemes, wouldn't now, while they need to be painted anyway, be the most economic time? (Other than when they go through for their periodic repaints). Of course a special paint scheme with special paint is going to cost more because it requires a unique manufacturing process, but how much more is the question. I bet they still have some Phase III colors laying around in Beech Grove from 2011... :P
Greg Moore wrote:I suggest Amtrak license the designs to an HO manufacturer and use the money to paint up the 1:1 scale locos like this. Pick all the railroads Amtrak runs on on the NEC.
I would have to imagine model railroad companies love special paint schemes. Every modeler just has to buy a heritage loco for his/her layout! However, most model railroad companies seem to be going through hard times at the moment. I think it is mostly based around production difficulties in China. Take Atlas for example. It would be an interesting move for a model RR manufacturer to pay for a heritage paint scheme in exchange for exclusive production rights. However, I'm just not sure any model RR company has the money to do that.

I think I have to agree with both of you guys though, that McGinnis scheme looks soooo sharp!
Greg Moore wrote:Well if this keeps up, they may have to simply shrinkwrap them and put them out to Davis–Monthan Air Force Base
That is one crazy place! I saw it on Top Gear once and could hardly believe it.
  by ACeInTheHole

jmar896 wrote:A ACS-64 is at the lead of the derailed train in Philly
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

627 went belly up at South Station this afternoon on #177...617 was being backed onto it to start the journey...still was in the station as of 6:40pm 5/12...oh boy
  by ACeInTheHole

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:627 went belly up at South Station this afternoon on #177...617 was being backed onto it to start the journey...still was in the station as of 6:40pm 5/12...oh boy
No offense MBTA.. But..