• Amtrak 91 - CSX Collision Cayce, SC - 2/4/18

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by justalurker66

DutchRailnut wrote:The FBI involvement probably has to do with crew member swearing that he lined switch for main,
The biggest benefit of involving the FBI is that lying to the FBI is a crime all to itself. It does not matter if one has done anything else wrong or if the person lying broke any other law. One can go to prison simply for lying to the FBI. That should encourage people to tell the truth.
  by Tadman

I don't speak from a position of knowledge here, but I have heard of situations in the past where the FBI is brought in until foul play (such as terrorism or hate crimes) can be ruled out. I don't know that is happening here, but it makes sense to me.
  by n2cbo

justalurker66 wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:The FBI involvement probably has to do with crew member swearing that he lined switch for main,
The biggest benefit of involving the FBI is that lying to the FBI is a crime all to itself. It does not matter if one has done anything else wrong or if the person lying broke any other law. One can go to prison simply for lying to the FBI. That should encourage people to tell the truth.
That's right, Just ask Martha Stewart...
  by JTBernier

Sorry to jump in late... but it seems there were two switches that needed to be locked and lined.

As the CSX freight came north out of the auto ramp, there's a switch from the siding to the main. Proceed a bit further north on the main and the second switch must be passed before backing onto the west side siding.

I've only heard that the CSX crew report A switch was locked and lined. Were they referring to the one from the east siding? Everything I've read seemed to suggest they were referencing the switch for the west siding.
  by justalurker66

JTBernier wrote:I've only heard that the CSX crew report A switch was locked and lined. Were they referring to the one from the east siding? Everything I've read seemed to suggest they were referencing the switch for the west siding.
Are you suggesting that they knew the main line switch into the siding where they backed their train was lined for the siding when they tied down their train and went home?
  by DutchRailnut

not the crew, but why did NTSB have interview with trainmaster ???? did he line one switch , but forgot other ?? why was he interviewed ?
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Railnut, I have not seen any report that a Trainmaster was "on the ground" at the scene when the incident occurred.

I guess I missed it in our discussion; general circulation media might have said "a supervisor".
  by JTBernier

justalurker66 wrote:Are you suggesting that they knew the main line switch into the siding where they backed their train was lined for the siding when they tied down their train and went home?
Not at all. Just wondering if there was some confusion in communications between crew and dispatch about which switch was locked and lined.

I noticed in the NTSB B roll video the the auto ramp siding switch was lined with the main.
  by Backshophoss

Now the transcription of the radio messages between the freight crew and the DS will become required reading when the NTSB docket for
this wreck is available for the public.
  by mark777

I don't think that I would be surprised if the trainmaster would have been questioned. I would expect that anyone that had anything to do with the movement of either train would be questioned by the FBI or the NTSB. On a side note here, and correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that after the accident at Frankfort Jct, that it was the NTSB that requested that the FBI join the investigation after inspectors found what appeared to be cracks on the front windshield of the ACS-64 that might have been created by an object that was thrown at the train. That was in the spot light considering that both a SEPTA train and Acela suffered window strikes by objects being thrown at the trains. That would lead me to think that the FBI doesn't regularly involve itself with most rail accidents but would intervene if asked to or if there was suspicion of foul play. I could be wrong, but there has to be some suspicion that there could have been foul play if they are there. Most likely however, and I expect it to happen sooner than later, the FBI will step aside an let the NTSB continue it's investigation that was the result of not lining the switch back to it's normal position. I would also say that if the CSX crew adamantly swear that they DID realign the switch and locked it, then they are not lying to investigators as their personal recollection was that they did what they were suppose to do. They could even take a lie detector test and promise you they will pass. The only thing that could happen if they determine that they forgot to realign the switch is possibly lose their employment at CSX, but I would highly doubt that the FBI would pursue them with criminal charges.
  by Gilbert B Norman

I still think we need establish:

Was or wasn't this Trainmaster on the ground and at the scene when the crew tied down their train?

Yes I know Yäger's disciples have not done much to restore morale on the property - especially for non-Agreement employees, but there is still a railroad to run and Rules by which it is run.
  by DutchRailnut

Mr Norman I suggest you watch the NTSB news briefings on NTSB.gov
  by Wayside

Gilbert B Norman wrote:I still think we need establish:

Was or wasn't this Trainmaster on the ground and at the scene when the crew tied down their train?
I don't have an answer for this but I do know from direct experience that it is SOP for NTSB to interview local operating managers as investigators initiate the process, whether these managers were "on the scene" or not.
  by 8th Notch

Track layout of accident area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.