• ALP-45DP's - Usage and Delivery

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by cruiser939

beanbag wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:the test trains have been running pretty much daily, and the regular routine seems to be to run diesel from the MMC down to the Coast Line, change to electric at either Woodbridge or Perth Amboy (depending on how close ahead they are to a local behind them) and then running to Long Branch under electric power. In Long Branch they either go back to diesel and head west to Bay Head or just change ends under electric power and go back east.

Of course, not every night/day they are on the coast line, but they are down there a lot. Today there was one that was running during the day down on the Coast Line.
Has NJT been running any other 45s besides 4500? No offense, I understand 4500 is the flagship locomotive and as such is the important one for Bombardier, but I must admit I am getting a little fed up with hearing just about that one engine.. A little variety/news on the other NJT 45s I think would be a nice change of pace.. Unless they have not started running them, then I revoke my statement.
Like JT said, these are the way things are done during testing. If you test one locomotive, then you can discover problems fine tune them, and see how your changes are accepted by the locomotive before applying a software change to the entire fleet. NJT test equipment so that they can run smoothly on our system, not based on whether or not you're "fed up" with hearing about only one locomotive. That's not the way the railroad works kid.
  by cruiser939

blockline4180 wrote:17 replies and counting cruiser... I think that is a new consecutive record!
Thanks for breaking it up :P

There was a lot of news to catch up on since I was last here. I'll leave the forum with this bit of info:

As per Amtrak's bulletin order effective today, the ALP-45's are permitted to operate in electric mode on the NEC and also are cleared to run through the North and East River tunnels and PSNY. (and before anyone asks, that doesn't clear up the FDNY issue)
  by Jeff Smith

blockline4180 wrote:17 replies and counting cruiser... I think that is a new consecutive record!
We can always count on Cruiser. That was quite an impressive run; plus, it's 17 times of "Originator of Jeff Smith Rules". Wonder where I rank now in Google search.....
  by blockline4180

Jeff Smith wrote:
We can always count on Cruiser. That was quite an impressive run; plus, it's 17 times of "Originator of Jeff Smith Rules". Wonder where I rank now in Google search.....
:-)
  by 25Hz

cruiser939 wrote:
25Hz wrote:Wow that AMT livery really pops. Really cool to see a 45 hooked to the front end of only cars vs test train!
Umm, what exactly do you think a test train is if not "cars"?
Only cars, usually test trains for new motive power have a backup locomotive, or perhaps AMT does not do that?
  by ACeInTheHole

cruiser939 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:the test trains have been running pretty much daily, and the regular routine seems to be to run diesel from the MMC down to the Coast Line, change to electric at either Woodbridge or Perth Amboy (depending on how close ahead they are to a local behind them) and then running to Long Branch under electric power. In Long Branch they either go back to diesel and head west to Bay Head or just change ends under electric power and go back east.

Of course, not every night/day they are on the coast line, but they are down there a lot. Today there was one that was running during the day down on the Coast Line.
Has NJT been running any other 45s besides 4500? No offense, I understand 4500 is the flagship locomotive and as such is the important one for Bombardier, but I must admit I am getting a little fed up with hearing just about that one engine.. A little variety/news on the other NJT 45s I think would be a nice change of pace.. Unless they have not started running them, then I revoke my statement.
Like JT said, these are the way things are done during testing. If you test one locomotive, then you can discover problems fine tune them, and see how your changes are accepted by the locomotive before applying a software change to the entire fleet. NJT test equipment so that they can run smoothly on our system, not based on whether or not you're "fed up" with hearing about only one locomotive. That's not the way the railroad works kid.
I know, i completely understand now.. I was just wondering if there was news on the other 45s is all.. I didnt care much if they were running them, hence me revoking it in the end if that wasnt the case. Wasnt tryin to throw stuff into the fan there with that Cruiser.
  by waldwickrailfan

Jeff Smith wrote:
a quick google search concludes with: 3rd behind two boneville things :)
  by Jeff Smith

Different Jeff Smith, unless you think railroad.net is a cartoon. Hmmmmmm.
  by morris&essex4ever

A google search of Jeff Smith rules and the 6th link shows
Dictators rule by fear, Jeff Smith rules by coolness alone.
Unless of course you're a professor at Washington University in St. Louis. Then, you're an awesome professor :).
Last edited by morris&essex4ever on Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by Jeff Smith

Yep, quite a few links! Now we need to get Nick up in the rankings.......
  by ACeInTheHole

cruiser939 wrote:
beanbag wrote:Doesnt njt always test the new stuff on the M@E?
"New stuff"? get's tested everywhere. I think what you mean to be asking is "doesn't NJT deploy new equipment to the M&E in the beginning of revenue service?" The answer to that would be yes, mostly.
Yes thats what i meant cruiser thank you.
  by OportRailfan

cruiser939 wrote: What the heck does "scheduled revenue service testing" even mean?
Isn't that an oxymoron?

Also, don't they have a super duper, extra special term for that?

..."NJ Rail Test Train"
  by ACeInTheHole

cruiser939 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
haamster wrote:Well Cruiser will correct me if I'm wrong, but yes, I believe the plan is that these engines will eventually be used in passenger service.

I hope I didn't let the cat out of the bag on that one.
I did not mean it like that, I meant scheduled revenue service testing (with the protect engine of course), on numbered trains, with real station stops, not this acceptance testing with the Comet IIIs up and down various train lines with no stops and empty coaches. Thats what I meant, the sarcasm was completely unnecessary, any person no matter railfan engineer or employee could determine without Cruiser that these are going to be used for passenger service at some point in time.
What the heck does "scheduled revenue service testing" even mean? I'm sorry that NJT's timeline for acceptance testing of the locomotives is not to your liking.
I have no idea what the heck i was saying there either, musta been drowsy on nyquil (recovering from a cOld here..), because i honestly cannot remember posting this one.. ehh whAtever ignore that cruiser.
  by Sid Farkus

beanbag wrote:I have no idea what the heck i was saying there either, musta been drowsy on nyquil (recovering from a cOld here..), because i honestly cannot remember posting this one.. ehh whAtever ignore that cruiser.
Blaming it on the Nyquil, shameful...
  by ACeInTheHole

Sid Farkus wrote:
beanbag wrote:I have no idea what the heck i was saying there either, musta been drowsy on nyquil (recovering from a cOld here..), because i honestly cannot remember posting this one.. ehh whAtever ignore that cruiser.
Blaming it on the Nyquil, shameful...
Im serious though, I really cant remember posting that one.