• ALP-45-DP Usage/Service Patterns

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by morris&essex4ever

Jersey Avenue?
  by Fan Railer

morris&essex4ever wrote:Jersey Avenue?
Jersey Avenue.
  by nick11a

Fan Railer wrote:
morris&essex4ever wrote:Jersey Avenue?
Jersey Avenue.
I concur.
  by ACeInTheHole

Which one was the one that went to San Antonio on the flat car? Was that 4512? What ever happened to that locomotive?
  by 25Hz

Amtrak7 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rou4Gps0e50

Jump to 4:30, 4522 with 10.
Lil side note: I've seen amtk use dual diesels like that as protect during severe winter weather several times before. Usually they park them on the low platform at trenton.
  by ACeInTheHole

At least two 45s on the NEC this morning and another one on the RVL as seen from McCarter highway in Newark, anyone have numbers on whats where this morning?
  by Regardie

4502 on train 5416 on the RVL this morning. Good to see they are getting the consists ready for the off peak single seat ride.
  by ACeInTheHole

The 45 fleet continues their resurgence. 4526 just sighted on #877 out of Broad Street.
  by Matt Johnson

So these things are running at 100 mph on the NEC? At 145 tons or whatever it is, they're pretty heavy for triple digit speeds!
  by 25Hz

Matt Johnson wrote:So these things are running at 100 mph on the NEC? At 145 tons or whatever it is, they're pretty heavy for triple digit speeds!
GG1 & several others of that era definitely weighed more. Not only that, but a 45 can run with an empty fuel tank, GG1's in winter had those huge water and oil tanks for the steam generator...

And lets not forget that we had steam locomotives traveling at or above those speeds on jointed rail with way less comprehensive safety systems in place.

My, how far we've come...... :)
  by morris&essex4ever

Technology has advanced rapidly hasn't it?! The ALP 45 is one amazing and versatile machine.
  by TSTOM

May have already been mentioned but a week ago Sunday ( 2/23 ) I found one of these ALP-45DP's with 3 CV's at Bay Street Station running the Montclair Shuttle. First time I've seen one up close but it seemed odd/wasteful to have this thing on this kinda simple electric-only duty. I thought this shuttle was always handled by Arrows ?
  by ACeInTheHole

TSTOM wrote:May have already been mentioned but a week ago Sunday ( 2/23 ) I found one of these ALP-45DP's with 3 CV's at Bay Street Station running the Montclair Shuttle. First time I've seen one up close but it seemed odd/wasteful to have this thing on this kinda simple electric-only duty. I thought this shuttle was always handled by Arrows ?
The 45s seem to be filling in wherever they are needed. At least they now have their own exclusive RVL NY service.