• Adena, Ohio

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
  by bluesman

10 Years ago, I was in the east traveling from Indianapolis to Pittsburg. Took the old roads and went through Adena, Ohio. The N&W rail facilites there looked un-used for some time. Yet, this was a busy place at one time apparenty as signaling seemed to be CTC.
I was wondering if somewone can fill me in on when the mines either played out or coal got cheap or what? What has happened around there in the last 10 years? Are the Tracks gone?
Thanks!
Bluesman

by shlustig

Haven't been down there lately, but this used to be a major terminal on the old Wheeling and Lake Erie and then on the Nickel Plate.

IIRC, the problem was that the coal in that area was medium to high sulphur content, and therefore not in favor due to the EPA regulations on pollution.
  by PWV PETE

Adena is on the valley line of the Wheeling & Lake Erie from Pittsburgh jct to Warrenton ,a short section has been removed. At Adena a line went south to Saginaw mine which was closed and the line removed,another line went to Georgetown mine in Cadiz, not sure if the tracks are still there. The Wheeling still uses some of the Valley line from Pgh. Jct to MP 189 where it serves a mine Nelms 2. You sparked my interest I'm going to have to take a ride out there I'm only 40 miles away. Hope this helps.

Pete

by bluesman

Thanks for your replies. It would be fun to go back to the whole area and explore!
Bluesman

by rose Valley

I grew up on that line. My parents still live between the cuts east of Kenwood near the old Rose Valley branch. As stated, the tracks of the Old Adena RR to Saginaw have been removed as have the tracks to the Georgetown Prep plant. The Prep plant is also gone to the best of my knowledge. The CTC has been removed and nature is starting to take back over.
This is a fun line to explore if one takes a couple days and likes to hike a bit. Best time are when the leaves have fallen, really important if one is going toward Saginaw on the Adena Branch.
Lets start at Pittsburgh Jct and work our way down the Valley.
I forget the road number but the exit is off Route 22 between Cadiz and Hopedale. It would be the Scio or Jewett exit. It is about 18 to 20 miles from Steubenville on Rt. 22.
From Steubenville >After exiting Rt 22 (SCIO or Jewett) turn Right.

Follow this road untill you see the old NYC tracks that went to Cadiz and the prep plant. The NYC tracks will be on your left. Look for a township road on your left. (Note: IF YOU MISS THIS TURNOFF, you will pass a small siding on the NYC line and then cross the NYC tracks. TURN AROUND. YOU WENT TOO FAR.) There are a couple of houses on this twnship road to the left. Turn left on this road and follow it down the hill. The road surface turns to dirt. You will see the tracks of the Valley Line as they are about to enter Rexford tunnel. Proceed down this road and go over the wooden bridge that goes over the P&WV tracks. Go down the hill a bit and turn left by the tracks. Good place to park.
Also, there is a good natural spring about 100yds past your parking place.
It is on the right side of the road.

1) Pittsburgh Jct. 1 tunnel on the Valley Line and 1 Tunnel on the P and WV. You can walk thru both. Very interesting with the tunnel fencing ect.
Time - about 2 hours. Fall timing is beautiful. Also is a wooden bridge over the P and WV. Great spot to shoot picts.
Wear boots and some leggings if getting off the track. Don"t know about nowadays but growing up in that region copperheads have been know to roam. :)
I will add more later today or this week.