Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by JayMan

I have a question. I heard over at SubChat that SEPTA's Silverliner V would have weighed about the same as the M7s do. And that's with an M7-like design and heavy high-voltage gear added in. So my question is, if that's so, why can't the M8 be designed with fully motorized cars? It shouldn’t be that the weight of the 3rd rail gear would be an issue. AFAIK (anyone who knows better feel free to correct me), all such an MU that would already run on AC would need to be DC-compatible are 3rd rail shoes and a DC-AC converter (which the M7s already have).

Am I missing something or does something stink here?

by boston774

My understanding is that the design currently being looked at is just that, a married pair. Also, I believe that any AC powered unit is going to have a DC stage, whether it is "chopped" from alternator/catenary current, or taken directly from 3d rail.

by JayMan

boston774 wrote:My understanding is that the design currently being looked at is just that, a married pair. Also, I believe that any AC powered unit is going to have a DC stage, whether it is "chopped" from alternator/catenary current, or taken directly from 3d rail.
The present plan is actually a triplet, two M7-like power cars and a trailer car in between with pan/transformer.

Is that true though? In the days of AC traction motors, would an EMU that runs on AC catenary (for the sake of argument, we say AC only) need a DC phase? Now I'm curious about this stuff.

by DutchRailnut

The 3 car concept was shot down due to no power and maintenace of disk brakes on center car, its back to drawing board and as of a few weeks ago the official engineering task has begun.
The Concept sought is now 2 car just like M2's are.

by JayMan

DutchRailnut wrote:The 3 car concept was shot down due to no power and maintenace of disk brakes on center car, its back to drawing board and as of a few weeks ago the official engineering task has begun.
The Concept sought is now 2 car just like M2's are.
Well, that I have to say is, good news. Maybe they will come up with a superior design. My advice, for whatever it's worth, is that they really have to lighten the overall load. They should aim for the minimum weight that FRA regulated structual requirements demand, before they squeeze all the "gear" in. If all cars are powered, they might be able to get by with less powerful (and I assume lighter) motors.

Please, do, keep us informed.

by Nasadowsk

So, MN now really thinks they're gonna run 150,000 lb EMUs on third rail?

Let's see, the M-7 can't exert 1000 HP per car, even on the LIRR, and in it's current form, is slower than tar. Add another 30,000lbs for the transformer / pan / converter, and they'll be even slower on 3rd rail...

Unless there's a *major* carbody redesign, expect a 150,000 lb per car weight, and expect them to have *major* problems on DC, and be slower than the M-2s. Even with 1,000 HP on AC, and that's going to be expensive as heck to run, they'll *still* be no faster than the M-2s.

The existing New Haven fleet's a joke in terms of performance. With another 30,000 lbs, it'll be even sadder.

I'm just glad I don't live in CT anymore. If you think fares are high now, wait until the electric bill doubles when the '8s come on line.

This should be fun to watch. Thank god I'm no longer in CT and won't have my tax $$ wasted on this one...

by JayMan

Nasadowsk wrote: Unless there's a *major* carbody redesign, expect a 150,000 lb per car weight,
A major carbody redesign would be my guess at this point. They simply don't have the leeway in terms of weight with these cars that they did with the M7s (AC gear and all that's needed).

by jtr1962

Nasadowsk wrote:So, MN now really thinks they're gonna run 150,000 lb EMUs on third rail?
Now that's a scary thought. Seriously though, the FRA minimum weight mandates for new equipment are getting in the way here just as they caused problems with the Acela. You can use things like carbon fiber to get the needed crash strength without the weight. In fact, weight works against you in crashes. Just out of curiosity, what are the minimum weights that the FRA allows for Tier I and Tier II equipment, and who were the morons who decided that weight=safety? These asinine FRA rules are killing passenger rail travel in the US and seriously need to be rewritten.

by Nasadowsk

<i>Now that's a scary thought. Seriously though, the FRA minimum weight mandates for new equipment are getting in the way here just as they caused problems with the Acela. You can use things like carbon fiber to get the needed crash strength without the weight. In fact, weight works against you in crashes. Just out of curiosity, what are the minimum weights that the FRA allows for Tier I and Tier II equipment, and who were the morons who decided that weight=safety? These asinine FRA rules are killing passenger rail travel in the US and seriously need to be rewritten.</i>

Now, hold on a second.

The FRA doesn't mandate a minimum weight!

It just so happens that the FRA's regulations basically push the weight of equipment up. There's no 'minimum weight' for railcars - theoretically, you could have a carbon fiber car that's 50,000 lbs, and if it meets FRA buff standards, etc, it would be perfectly legal.

But I wouldn't use carbon fiber for a few reasons:

* It's impressively strong. But when it breaks, it *shatters*. Often with plenty of nice, sharp splinters.

* Failure modes of it aren't understood very well. Witness the recent AA 587 crash.

* Since it doesn't bend much, and it doesn't plastically deform, it won't absorb energy. Bad bad bad.

* Nobody else has, yet. Given how trailling edge the US is w.r.t. rail technology, the LAST thing we should be doing is breaking new ground where the Japanese and Europeans haven't.

by jtr1962

It's easy to get the impression that the FRA does indeed mandate a minimum weight given the discussions about the Acela being too heavy because of the Tier II standards. Nevertheless, I personally see the existing standards as a roadblock to lighter trains whether they mandate minimum weights or not. Modern signaling systems such as ACSES and ATC all but make crashes impossible. I'd rather have those things mandated, combined with a nationwide elimination of grade crossings (the single biggest reason for train wrecks by far) than worry about designing equipment for crash "surviveability". Although airlines are my least favorite way to travel (I won't fly at all for a variety of reasons) railcar engineers could take a cue from the airline industry. The focus there is nearly 100% on crash avoidance. Designing in crash surviveability is almost an afterthought. I'll grant that plane crashes are inherently less surviveable than train crashes, but to me worrying about making either 100% surviveable seems almost pointless. The older equipment which didn't meet the new specs was in many crashes. I never remember huge numbers of fatalities. Even in the Chase, MD crash I was surprised that the death toll was so low given the speeds involved. The "non-compliant" equipment held up just fine. With better systems in place train wrecks can be literally a thing of the past. Witness the 40+-year run in Japan with no passenger fatalities on their high-speed lines, for example. Their trains probably could be made of paper given the safety systems which are in place.

A relaxing of the standards combined with some serious design work to meet the revised standards while minimizing weight would eliminate the disadvantage the US has right now. No reason we can't make a high-speed train with 80,000 pound coaches or an EMU with similar weights even without using carbon fiber. Speaking of the M2s, exactly how bad are they acceleration-wise? Ditto for the M-7s you say run like "tar". I haven't ridden either, although I have seen M-7s pull out from the Flushing LIRR stop. They seem pretty good off the line anyway.
  by boston774

I'd add another reason - it is orders of magnitude more expensive than metal fabrication. There is no way you could get enough weight reduction without making the cars unaffordable.

Nasadowsk, would you expand on why the cars can't put out full horsepower? My understanding was that the AC motors were more efficient than DC, and would put out more effective work for the same current input. (Caveat here - Maxwell's equations and electromagnetism are 20 years in my past.)

If that is the case, what is the solution? Upgrading the power supply?

by Nasadowsk

<i>It's easy to get the impression that the FRA does indeed mandate a minimum weight given the discussions about the Acela being too heavy because of the Tier II standards.</i>

I doubt any other manufacturer would have done significantly better than BBD. In all aspects of Acela.

<i>Nevertheless, I personally see the existing standards as a roadblock to lighter trains whether they mandate minimum weights or not.</I>

Well, yeah. Tier II has a lot of just downright silly requirements which are poorly defined anyway.

<i>Modern signaling systems such as ACSES and ATC all but make crashes impossible. I'd rather have those things mandated, combined with a nationwide elimination of grade crossings (the single biggest reason for train wrecks by far) than worry about designing equipment for crash "surviveability".</i>

Equipment can be designed to work well in grade crossing accidents, yet still be fairly light - witness the TGV's history. Realistically, ATC/ACSES/PTC should be mandated for any/all passenger rail in the US, and the focuse shifted towards grade crossing performance and staying upright/inline durring a derailment - areas where US rail equipment generally does poorly.

<i> Although airlines are my least favorite way to travel (I won't fly at all for a variety of reasons) railcar engineers could take a cue from the airline industry. The focus there is nearly 100% on crash avoidance.</i>

It's not the engineers who need the clue, it's the FRA.

<i>Designing in crash surviveability is almost an afterthought.</i>

No, the FAA takes a realistic approach. By far the biggest danger in an airliner accident is smoke/fire. Decades of real life experience has seen plenty of accidents where fire and smoke made the difference.

<i>I'll grant that plane crashes are inherently less surviveable than train crashes, but to me worrying about making either 100% surviveable seems almost pointless.</i>

No accident is 100% surviveable, except the accident that never happens. thus, to get 100% surviveability - don't have accidents.

<i>The older equipment which didn't meet the new specs was in many crashes. I never remember huge numbers of fatalities. Even in the Chase, MD crash I was surprised that the death toll was so low given the speeds involved. The "non-compliant" equipment held up just fine.</i>

I keep asking for a listing of the deficiencies of the M-1 carbody, where they played a role in accidents, and what the FRA regulations would have done to fix them. Never get it from anyone. And I've asked people in the industry for this... Statistically, you are far safer on a 'tin can' M-1 with the LIRR's ASC system in place, than you are in any other railcar anywhere else in the US (except for MN). From a pure statistics standpoint, the effort that should be duplicated in the US is that of the lightweight, signle level, stainless steel railcar, running in a highly cab signnalled system with a strict rulebook and high crew standards.

<i>With better systems in place train wrecks can be literally a thing of the past. Witness the 40+-year run in Japan with no passenger fatalities on their high-speed lines, for example. Their trains probably could be made of paper given the safety systems which are in place. </i>

The Japanese view is extreme, but they are nonetheless very sucessful.

<i>A relaxing of the standards combined with some serious design work to meet the revised standards while minimizing weight would eliminate the disadvantage the US has right now.</i>

It's not a 'relaxing', more a simple issue of being realistic. IMHO, US passenger rail would be just fine with UIC standard equipment, decent track, and a decent ATC system. The costs would be significantly lower, the performance significantly higher.

The irony of the FRA's standards is they make rail so unattractive to most travelers - or just plain not available - that those people choose to drive, instead. And driving is far far far more dangerous.

<i>No reason we can't make a high-speed train with 80,000 pound coaches or an EMU with similar weights even without using carbon fiber.</i>

IMHO, a modernized version of the M-1 body with decent traction gear could have hit that number pretty easily.

<i> Speaking of the M2s, exactly how bad are they acceleration-wise?</i>

From my years of taking the NH line? Pretty horrid. When all cars are working, they're ok. But, realize that they don't have much HP per ton.

<i>Ditto for the M-7s you say run like "tar". I haven't ridden either, although I have seen M-7s pull out from the Flushing LIRR stop. They seem pretty good off the line anyway.</i>

They *were* decent when new, but the power issues meant cutting the HP back a few hundred. As they are now, they're no better than the M-1/3 cars. Slightly better out of a station, but at speed they're a joke. And they ride just as bad...

<i>Nasadowsk, would you expand on why the cars can't put out full horsepower?</i>

Ohm's law! You can only draw so many amps through a conductor before your voltage drop gets too high. This is why DC third rail died off for mainline electrification. Even with frequent substations, you STILL hit its limitations.

<i>My understanding was that the AC motors were more efficient than DC, and would put out more effective work for the same current input.</i>

Don't forget inversion losses :) AC inverters aren't 100% efficient (or else they'd be really tiny), and the motors aren't eitherr (or else they'd be tiny too)

Nonetheless - you can't get something from nothing, and the limiting factor is the third rail. Drawing high current reliably isn't easy, and third rail resistance - and running rail resistance too - become big factors as current increases. This was recognized 100 years ago (more than), and is why high voltage AC systems developed despite huge technical problems.

by JayMan

Nasadowsk wrote:So, MN now really thinks they're gonna run 150,000 lb EMUs on third rail?

The existing New Haven fleet's a joke in terms of performance. With another 30,000 lbs, it'll be even sadder.

I'm just glad I don't live in CT anymore. If you think fares are high now, wait until the electric bill doubles when the '8s come on line.
Say, can't this be offset if CT wires its power grid to support regenerative breaking, which I'm sure the new cars will support (since the M7s already do)?

by DutchRailnut

It amazes me that someone with so much knowledge of railroads, its laws, its engineering or so he thinks does not get a job in Railway engineering. Im sure your talents would be more than welcome ?

by JayMan

DutchRailnut wrote:It amazes me that someone with so much knowledge of railroads, its laws, its engineering or so he thinks does not get a job in Railway engineering. Im sure your talents would be more than welcome ?
I'm not sure who that's directed to, but if it's to me, I don't pretend to know anything. I ask questions out of personal curiousity and only repeat what I've learned from railroad experts such as yourself and others here and elsewhere.

And hey, if the astronomy I'm studying now doesn't work out, who knows...