Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

Connecticut state law requires that the bids must go public so any company can bid. the first thging is to set specifications, then operations and maintenance estimate cost etc etc.
The whole thing will be put in a spec sheet by K.Lauder engineering in Philly.
Then bidding starts and after awarding some kind of building program set up.
my guesstimate about 8 years from time two requirements are met.
A] funding
B] design
Both are still far off from finalizing.

by weakcheeks

"M2's have two propulsion groups one DC cam controller and an AC propulsion system BOTH of whom use grid resistors to step down current to motors"

WRONG!

The AC propulsion system does not use resistors to step down current to motors.

The AC system uses three different windings from the main transformer. One winding "A" is controllered by SCR's which increase current to the DC rectifiers which feed DC voltage to the traction motors.

The other windings "B & C" increase more current to the traction motors. Motor configuration in AC is always series-parallel.

So on AC

Master Controller positon -
P1 = 50% of "A" winding
P2 = Full "A" winding
P3 = Full "B" winding plus "A" winding with SCR's firing up
P4 = Full "B" winding & Full "C" winding plus "A" winding with SCR's firing up

The Grid resistors are only used in AC for Dynamic Brake only.

by boston774

DutchRailnut wrote:... the first thging is to set specifications, then operations and maintenance estimate cost etc etc.
The whole thing will be put in a spec sheet by K.Lauder engineering in Philly.
Then bidding starts and after awarding some kind of building program set up.
my guesstimate about 8 years from time two requirements are met.
A] funding
B] design
Both are still far off from finalizing.
Ouch - I did not know specs hadn't even been put together. The timeline you describe will make a good chunk of the fleet 40 years old by the time it is replaced. If MNCRs maintenance wasn't so good, this would spell Trouble.

by RedSoxSuck

Is it realistic to expect enough M2s to last long enough?