• A Colorful Arrow III

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Silverliner II

I was finishing work this morning at South Kearny and was watching a crew drill some MU's around the MMC.

I noticed that the left side of Arrow III #1340 was quite "decorated" with some rather colorful grafitti. Now where in the world was that car, that it could get so horribly "tagged" like that?

Wow!

Joe

by transit383

My vote is for Great Notch. Wasn't there an ALP44 last year that got decorated over there?

by Mudvalve

Is it difficult to remove the paint from the side of the Arrows? I'm thinking that the spray paint doesn't have a good bond to the stainless.

by nick11a

Hmm. Well, NJT is pretty good about removing graffiti for the most part at least. Sometimes it takes a few weeks though for them to get around to it. I recall cab 6017 had graffiti around the cab window for quite some time but it is gone now.

by Tri-State Tom

383 -

AIR, an MSU frat did some spray painting one night in the Fall of '01 at Great Notch but some education on electricution put an end to this by those students....haven't heard of any repeat occurances.

My guess would be Trenton or Long Branch.

by Jtgshu

Well, its definately not Long Branch, 1 - because MU's can be run down the Coast Line any more, and 2, Long Branch is actually pretty secure and as far as I know, there are very few, if any incidents of graffite in LB (other crimes, well thats a different story :) )

1430 - Im trying to recall if ive come across that car and if its a Newark Division MU - I think it might be, and I think I recall having it.....so that would mean either SSY, (I doubt that - always people milling about over there) County - good possibility - not a real terrific neighborhood, Barracks yard in Trenton - another good possibility, considering its not used nearly as much now with Morrisville, or Morrisville itself - although not a great neighborhood or area, it doesn't seem too bad over there, but it is pretty remote and LOTS of open space, so maybe perps could sneak in and out of the yard after doing their "work"

by Sirsonic

1430 is a Newark Division car. As to where it got its new paint job, my vote goes to County.

by nick11a

Sirsonic wrote:1430 is a Newark Division car. As to where it got its new paint job, my vote goes to County.
That be my vote too. :)

by Mudvalve

County yard..i'm guessing that is the yard in New Brunswick? Think i saw sign along jersey ave stating that.

At any rate, i haven't seen a piece of NJT rolling stock with a "custom paint job" yet, well at least not along the NEC.

by transit383

Sirsonic wrote:1430 is a Newark Division car. As to where it got its new paint job, my vote goes to County.
The original post stated 1340, not 1430.

As far as the graffiti, when a car (or locomotive) does get painted, does NJT continue to keep it in service or is it immediately pulled to get cleaned? I've never seen one of NJT's cars with graffiti in revenue service.

by Jtgshu

Every once in a while, one to two get by and they are out there for a few days, but they are removed from service pretty quickly and throughly cleaned.

I would guess that the Stainless steel is quite easy to clean, but the brushed aluminum of the older Comets is harder to get everything out of. Once a Comet car is cleaned, until it gets pretty dirty again, its pretty easy to see where the graffitti was, as the paint is in the "brush strokes" if you will, of the aluminum.

The only excpetion is there are many C5's with an orange wavy stripe that run along the blended colors on the bottom of the car. Its not real noticeable, but its there, but I guess they figure its not the effort to take it out of service and clean it for a stripe that is not real noticeable.

by Engineer

My vote goes to County. Everytime you look theres someone wandering through the yard. It doesn't help when theres a small civilization living in the woods there either....

by nick11a

Engineer wrote:My vote goes to County. Everytime you look theres someone wandering through the yard. It doesn't help when theres a small civilization living in the woods there either....
Don't they have people watching the yard to prevent people from wandering through?

by Engineer

No, its overwhelming. Between New Brunswick and Jersey Ave station you see endless people crossing the tracks, people walking in the gauge, or just the local leisure club hanging out along the ROW. I've drilled cars in County with people cutting through the yard just feet and mere seconds from getting run down or coupled up. Once in a while someone will report it to CTEC, but its so prevalent no one really bothers.

by Jtgshu

Just look at the number of passenger fatalities in that area......

That is NOT a nice area to be at