Railroad Forums 

• A Colorful Arrow III

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#11143  by nick11a

Oh yeah, I know they have tons of people crossing the NEC near Jersey Ave. I went railfanning there a week ago today (last Friday) and in the course of an hour so about 10 people cross the tracks at different times.

I just figured since they store equipment at County, they would have someone watching over it to make sure none of the cars are seriously vandalized.

#11147  by Mudvalve

Isn't there a conrail (csx, NS or shared assests, not sure who owns what anymore) yard at county? Or is that area used for moving cars to the area companies.

#11151  by transit383

Mudvalve wrote:Isn't there a conrail (csx, NS or shared assests, not sure who owns what anymore) yard at county? Or is that area used for moving cars to the area companies.
There is a yard over there, but I don't believe any type of locomotives are stored there overnight. The jobs that service that yard run out of Linden and Metuchen Yards.

As far as the trespassing, that stretch of the NEC is very bad. There is protection along the tracks in the form of large (ten feet or so) fences, but they seem to be as old as the Pennsylvania Railroad. They are in sorry shape and allow for trespassing in numerous spots. The South Brunswick area is, IMO, the worst, with the tracks running right through people's backyards with minimal protection.

#11157  by Olton Hall

transit383 wrote:The South Brunswick area is, IMO, the worst, with the tracks running right through people's backyards with minimal protection.
Poison ivy can be a deterent to tresspassers who know what it looks like. :wink:

Plainsboro may be worse than SB, many more homes (and new they are new) next to the track. Colonia section of Woodbridge along Rt 27 is real bad. I looks like you can drive right onto the tracks now.

County yard would be hard to petrol on weekends. With all those Arrows packed in there's plenty of places to hide so you could tag all you want.

#11190  by nick11a

Olton Hall wrote:Poison ivy can be a deterent to tresspassers who know what it looks like. :wink:
LOL!
Olton Hall wrote:County yard would be hard to petrol on weekends. With all those Arrows packed in there's plenty of places to hide so you could tag all you want.
They keep more than arrows at county, don't they? I recall seeing some Jersey Ave Push Pull trains.

#11209  by transit383

They keep more than arrows at county, don't they? I recall seeing some Jersey Ave Push Pull trains.
There may be an exception here and there, but for the most part, County is strictly Arrows.

#11226  by Engineer

Conrail has 4 yard tracks on the "back lead" which are used to store cars for customers on the Millstone and Delco.
In the old days, there were jobs that signed up at County with locomotives left there, but now it is just an outlying point.
Nowadays, Conrail has one job that is dedicated to County. The ME2 signs up in Metuchen and runs down to County. It drills in the yard and then does work on the Millstone and Delco. LI26 and ME34 will also occaisionally utilize the yard.
BTW, I've never seen anything other than MUs at County on the branch or in the yard.

#11631  by Sirsonic

Several eastbound Jersey Ave trains are covered from X trains from New York, or in the case of 3702, Hoboken. Normally, only MU's spend the night in County.

#12417  by F23A4

Well, NJT Police apparently do patrol Jersey Avenue on weekends.

When I went to buy my monthly on a Saturday afternoon, I parked in the closest spot (which happened to be a handicapped spot) to the TVM. I'm at the TVM for about 4 minutes (credit card) when an NJT Cop swoops down on me and asks me if 'that' was my car parked on in the handicapped slot.

So if they're there to enforce Jersey Ave parking on a Saturday, they should be around to patrol County. (NOTE: For those who dont know, Jrsy Av is inactive and desolate on weekends)

Peace.

#12560  by TAMR213

I agree that it was probably County. Living about 2 miles from it, I can verify the various stories about County here.