Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Chicagopcclcars

The website of Illinois Railway Museum has information for purchasing tickets to the 2011 IRM Snowflake Special running on the ""L" lines of the Chicago Transit Authority. The cost remains $42. The charter starts at 0900 and lasts to 1815 on Sunday, March 27. Lines covered include the Blue, Pink, Orange, Green, Red, and Brown lines. An hour is set aside for lunch in the Loop. The charter will drop people off at Roosevelt, Adams, Randolph and Clark/Lake and pick them up one hour later. Yard runs will include Forest Park, 54th AV, Midway, Ashland/63, and Kimball. The charter will operate on the "L" steel structure, surface level, and subway. The charter train will be six 2200 series Budd cars from the Blue line.

http://www.irm.org/events/snowflakespecial.html

The cover picture on the website shows the "photo finish" race last year between the 2010 charter train and a Red line train at Fullerton AV on the north side main.

David Harrison
  by Chicagopcclcars

This is the cover photo by Bill Wulfert showing the "Photo finish" between last year's Snowflake charter, the 2200 series train on the right and the in-service Red line train on the left. The Red line train is operating on the number one track, normally used by Brown line trains and the charter is on the regular track two Red line route. Clark Tower where the Brown line leaves the north side main has control of the entire four track mainline from the subway portal at Armitage to past Addison ST on the north end. Similar to mainline railroad CTC, this stretch is called the Clark Corridor and all four tracks are reversed signalled in this stretch. To insure the "photo finish" the transit manager in charge of the charter commandeered the Red line train at Belmont and took over operation for the "race." Trains on track one have an advantage of a 55 MPH cab signal all the way into Fullerton but the jog on track two has a 35 MPH enforced about 1000 ft short of the Fullerton platform.

David Harrison
  by byte

As of this afternoon, at least twenty tickets have already been sold for the Snowflake Special. We are aiming for a complete sell-out this year, so if you'd like to attend this trip, the sooner you purchase your ticket, the better. (The policy in past years has been that extra tickets are sold in-person just prior to the start of the trip - last year, only six tickets were left for sale on the morning of the trip.)

Final clearance from the CTA is still pending on two rare stops this charter train will make. Gotta keep them a secret though, since it's not totally official yet. David and myself (also David) will both be on this trip and should be able to answer any questions on it.
  by lstone19

My ticket has been ordered.

Since we're obviously heading south on the Green Line (given mention of visiting the Ashland/63 yard), will we also take a run out the Jackson Park branch? After we head down the Englewood branch, the Jackson Park branch (beyond last year's "scrape the branches" journey) will be the one part of the system I've never ridden.
  by Chicagopcclcars

Sorry, but there is not enough time to go to the Cottage Grove end of the Greenline. We are going out on the tail tracks west of Ashland 63.

Here is a summary of routing for this year's Snowflake Charter.

Forest Park to end of track return to Forest Park; Forest Park to Morgan Middle--turn--to 54th AV Yard; 54th AV Yard to Midway & Midway Yard; Midway to Loop lunch; Pick up from Loop lunch to Ashland 63; Ashland 63 to tail track--turn--Ashland 63 to south side incline, 13th ST; 13th ST to Kimball via subway; Kimball to Forest Park via Loop, Connector, Morgan Middle.

David Harrison
  by CTA Fan

David

Got my ticket the first day they were available on the IRM website.

Looking forward to the 54th Yard and Ashland.

Already thinking about another battery for the camcorder...I buzzed through two batteries last year...

Terry
  by Chicagopcclcars

Good thinking...one can never have too much battery supply.

The yard trips all have to have a precharter call to the yard personnel to insure that the tracks we'll travel on are clear of stored equipment. A lot of times driving on the Ike past Forest Park you can see trains stored on the tail tracks we plan to use on March 27, so that will be an important call that has to be made beforehand. Last year's Snowflake used all four of Howard's turning loops. The second circuit of the loops was accomplished in 50 percent of the time of the first trip since all ground throws were already in position. Funny, but in the planning session for this year's Snowflake, noone absolutely knew how we would get into the tail tracks west of Ashland/63... if its by route selectors or if someone has to go up into the tower. Of course that'll be identified in the upcoming weeks as final preparations get into place. All in the fun of planning rail charters.

David Harrison
  by doepack

Chicagopcclcars wrote:The yard trips all have to have a precharter call to the yard personnel to insure that the tracks we'll travel on are clear of stored equipment. A lot of times driving on the Ike past Forest Park you can see trains stored on the tail tracks we plan to use on March 27, so that will be an important call that has to be made beforehand.
Although this could change, I haven't been seeing a whole lot of equipment stored lately on the tail tracks behind the Desplaines station while driving by on 290, so your charter should be good to go. Wish I could go, it sounds like a lot of fun, guess I'll have to shoot for 2012...
  by E Runs

Got my tickets yesterday and have a question for those who have done this before: aside from the 1hr lunch stop are there any other oppertunities for bathroom breaks?
  by Chicagopcclcars

Allow me to speak frankly, please....thanks. There are NO public washroom facilities on CTA property. The ones in the subways have long since been boarded and locked up. When our charter trains arrive at terminals, an opportunity to use the facilities in the employees trainroom is afforded. These are small, separate for men and women and can accomodate three or four people. Sometimes the agents booth has a solo facility. Sometimes there is a bus drivers' facility downstairs or next to the rail offices. Thus we STRONGLY URGE folks not to consume too much liquids. Forest Park agent washroom available before charter.

Here's the schedule: lv Forest Prk 0900; lv 54th 1042; ar Midway 1140 washroom available (yes 54th is a terminal but all should plan to remain aboard).

Loop lunch drop off 1230/1238, pickup1351/1359; lv 63rd Ashland 1458; ar Kimball 1605 washroom available (yes 63/Ashland is a terminal but plan to remain aboard)

Arrive at Forest Park 1815

Summary: Leave 0900, washroom 1140, lunch 1230, washroom 1605, end 1815.

David Harrison
  by lstone19

Chicagopcclcars wrote:Sorry, but there is not enough time to go to the Cottage Grove end of the Greenline.
Too bad. After the previous two trips made it to the extreme southern end of the system in 2009 and the extreme northern and western ends in 2010, I was hoping we'd make it to the extreme eastern end,
  by Chicagopcclcars

I can certainly see your interest now. When I spoke of time, a major consideration would have been the time it takes to turn the charter train. That move would be made at 59th ST junction, of course. Going to the end points usually includes interesting yard trackage, but at Cottage Grove there is no yard....nothing...but two bumping posts. And we went through both yards just recently at 61st and at lower 63rd, so the time for the move at 59th ST doesn't justify itself since we've been to the south end yards already. So, given the time it would take, just to cover the five blocks a Snowflake has not covered wasn't a strong selling point. The "Grove", Ashland and Howard might be a future theme that would re-live the old Howard -Englewood-Jackson Park. Keep your fingers crossed.

As consolation may I offer a search of my videos on YouTube under "msibnsf". I've got several titles covering east 63rd ST there.

David Harrison
  by lstone19

Chicagopcclcars wrote:I can certainly see your interest now. When I spoke of time, a major consideration would have been the time it takes to turn the charter train.
David, thanks for the reply. I do understand the time issue. And the trips into the yards are interesting (we couldn't have hit the southern and northern ends without them) as well as other bits of rare trackage such as the non-revenue connectors. So I will enjoy what we do do and will see you on 3/27.
  by Chicagopcclcars

Update! Update! I am happy to report that the first two cars of our six car Snowflake Charter are sold out. Wow, its still February!! Last year the four car sold out mark was reached on March 15, prompting an addition of two more cars. This year our charter is six cars from the start, but limited washroom facilities prevent any further expansion in capacity. A promotional flyer was included in the regular issue of Rail and Wire, mailed to all IRM members in the last two weeks.

David Harrison