Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by roee

DutchRailnut wrote:Correct RR chef and even Feyenoord had a station at Stadium but it was paid for by City not the railroad :-)
But isn't the railroad funded by the city/state anyways since fare recovery doesn't cover the cost of running the railroad? I agree that there should be a stop at Yankee Stadium. I mean, if there is a stop for the AT and a stop at MANITOU, then a stop a Yankee Stadium is well worth it.

by DutchRailnut

The MTA is already servicing the Stadium by building a rail station they would only undermine the Subway service.

by NIMBYkiller

The thing is though that a Yankee stadium station would be more for the suburbanites.

by roee

NIMBYkiller wrote:The thing is though that a Yankee stadium station would be more for the suburbanites.
I agree with you completly. No one would really take the train from Yankee stadium to GCT, it would be people heading out to the burbs, releaving parking problems, traffic and congestion (which is the point of Mass Trainsit) and possiable show people the light that riding the train is better than driving.

by Mr Met

and also it is cheaper to take the 4 to gct the MN
  by benltrain

Otto Vondrak wrote:Yankee Stadium as we know it has been in operation along the Hudson Line since the mid 1920s... why has there never been a game day station erected near here? Don't tell me it's Steinbrenner, because he only took control in the 1970s. I've seen football specials advertised in the 1960s and 1970s- ride the Harlem to Melrose, then take a bus to Yankee Stadium (to see the football Giants play). What, no baseball specials? I'm jealous of places like Fenway, Wrigley, and Camden Yards (I'm sure there are others) that have rail service...

-otto-
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 501#232501

well otto, good news, it is being built as reported in this thread.

however, wrigley field has only subway service (red line), just as NYC does. in that case, you could add a LOT more cities to that list...

by Penn Central

Terminal Proceed wrote:they have a station for the area residents nr the stadium - Morris Hts. and the # 4 train.
The #4 and the D stop at the station, but Morris Heights is over a mile away. Melrose on the Harlem Line is closer, just walk across 161 St. Only problem is very little service. For now, just get off at 125 St and walk a block east to catch the 4.

by *istDS

A MN station isn't going to help with the large number of knuckleheads who drive in from NJ.

For some reason, the pols don't want to recognize the fact that the days of the personal automobile are indeed numbered.

All it will take is a couple of tankers scuttled in the straits of hormuz to change their mind-quickly.

by nh chris

My comment:

I'm a Yankee fan who has commuted home from games via M-N, but found that taking the subway to 125th injects too much of a time variable to be efficient. Sure, it only takes 10-15 mins from 161st st. to 125th st. on the 4, but you can wait 5-20 minutes for a late-night subway. Miss your late-night train, and your time getting home can double. As a result, I take my lumps and drive to the Stadium.

My question:

In the news reports I saw, there was mention that all three lines would receive service from the new station. This seems to be different from what I heard when this issue was first raised. Are there plans to run trains to New Haven from this station, avoiding a transit down to 125?

NH Chris

by benltrain

nh chris wrote:My comment:

I'm a Yankee fan who has commuted home from games via M-N, but found that taking the subway to 125th injects too much of a time variable to be efficient. Sure, it only takes 10-15 mins from 161st st. to 125th st. on the 4, but you can wait 5-20 minutes for a late-night subway. Miss your late-night train, and your time getting home can double. As a result, I take my lumps and drive to the Stadium.

My question:

In the news reports I saw, there was mention that all three lines would receive service from the new station. This seems to be different from what I heard when this issue was first raised. Are there plans to run trains to New Haven from this station, avoiding a transit down to 125?

NH Chris
will they build a wye at mott haven (if there isn't already one) for this, or will they just reverse the train?

by Butlershops

benltrain wrote:will they build a wye at mott haven (if there isn't already one) for this, or will they just reverse the train?
Well, if the following image from local.live.com is Mott Haven, then there is an existing wye: MN ROW North of Harlem River

I don't know how convenient is it to use, though. It is accessible through an interlocking, or only by hand-thrown switches and/or derails?

by Terminal Proceed

There IS a wye at MO. It is used daily for various types of moves. I sincerely doubt they are gonna a wye train with passengers to bring them to yankee stadium stop.

I can almost guarantee that the only trains to stop there will be designated Hudson line trains. MAYBE they MIGHT add a shuttle from GCT/125 St. Lets get real here people - stop living in rail fan fantasy land.

Kevin

by NHRR WTBY

*istDS wrote:
For some reason, the pols don't want to recognize the fact that the days of the personal automobile are indeed numbered.
You're joking, right?

by Dieter

A shuttle(s) during game times could pose problems fitting windows into an existing schedule. You know when a game is going to begin, but you never know when it's going to end. Who will pay the train crew OT on those nights when a historic games hits a record number of innings? Not Steinbrenner!

I just don't see it. Building another station to maintain in a location not quite as obscure as Morris Heights. I wonder if it would only be open on days of games? It just seems to be too much of an operational headache.

Dieter/

by benltrain

Terminal Proceed wrote:There IS a wye at MO. It is used daily for various types of moves. I sincerely doubt they are gonna a wye train with passengers to bring them to yankee stadium stop.

I can almost guarantee that the only trains to stop there will be designated Hudson line trains. MAYBE they MIGHT add a shuttle from GCT/125 St. Lets get real here people - stop living in rail fan fantasy land.

Kevin
If Yankee Stadium is a location useless enough to local residents and workers that it won't get non-game service, then why did they set up a whole new service at a temporary station during the strike?

Also, I was aware of a wye of Mott Haven- I've seen old pics from when the center of the "triangle" was much more empty