Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Nester

Thanks for the update MN Jim.

Would this explain the string of WoH Shoreliners that I saw lined up at Tarrytown yesterday?

Nester

by DutchRailnut

As former Car foreman on Bombardier Equipment, I can tell you that changing the phasing of Hep circuit takes all of maybe 2 hours per car.
The HEP receptacles are all joined in one single connection box under center of the car.
By switching the cables from A phase to B phase the rotation is reversed and conversion complete.
The Wof H fleet does need all door key switches and locks replaced , a job that takes a lot longer,however since NJT uses differed door keys than MNCR.

by Nester

DutchRailnut wrote:The Wof H fleet does need all door key switches and locks replaced , a job that takes a lot longer,however since NJT uses differed door keys than MNCR.
Is this something that MN can do at Harmon? Or does it need to be contracted out to someone else?

Nester

by MN Jim

The work is actually considerably more involved than just HEP, keys, etc. All of the cars will be refurbished with new seats, paint, and a bunch of other things. Yesterday I saw the contract notice listed in the minutes of the Dec. 2004 meeting of the MTA Board MN Committee.

Regardless of anyone's particular views on that subject (this tends to be a hot issue, and I don't want to get into a flame war over it), it probably is more cost-effective to send them out to be refurbished. I'm not saying it's good, bad or indifferent, but MN's labor costs are high compared to private companies.

Jim