• What would McCain as President mean for Amtrak?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by John_Perkowski

I rather suspect that in the big scheme of this election cycle, McCain's position on Amtrak has roughly similar importance to maintaining the National Park Service.

I think I'd be amazed if 100,000 folk across our Nation cared.

by icgsteve

John_Perkowski wrote:I rather suspect that in the big scheme of this election cycle, McCain's position on Amtrak has roughly similar importance to maintaining the National Park Service.

What is the basis for your rather extreme pessimism of late?

by John_Perkowski

The June 30, 2007 Total Paid and Verified Circulation of Trains Magazine as reported to the Audit Bureau of Circulation...

The number is... 94,375

Edited to respond to Mr icgsteve's post below:

I agree we are passionate; I submit our numbers and our issue are far, far below the "who-cares" line in terms of debate topics and talking points from now til November...
Last edited by John_Perkowski on Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by icgsteve

Those of us who are passionate about trains....we railfans...are a little off. Most people who care about passenger trains think of them in terms of working, or not working, in their lives. They will not be reading Trains Mag no matter how much they care about trains.

by John_Perkowski

Moderator's Note:

The question is not the relative cost of Amtrak compared to DOD or Iraq...

It's how John McCain, if elected President, will treat Amtrak.

Please stay to topic.

Thanks.

by pdxstreetcar

Gallup polled a sample of Americans on the issue of supporting Amtrak in 1997 and it received tremendous support even from people who don't use it. This is pretty remarkable considering how difficult it is to get a diverse country of 300 million to agree on something.

Public Strongly Supports Continuing Government Subsidies For AMTRAK
Support High Even Among Those Who Don't Use the Passenger Train Service

http://www.gallup.com/poll/4312/Public- ... MTRAK.aspx

I would imagine that support is relatively similar today as it was in 1997. I think the issue is however just how strongly people feel about Amtrak that it would effect their support of a candidate and in this case, save railfans, I presume it would be quite low on the list. Nonetheless I think there would be a strong outcry from ordinary citizens if Amtrak was truely threatened.

by gprimr1

One thing to consider also, the economy is a very big issue in this election. A president who is seeking 2 terms would be ill advised to put hundreds of people OUT OF WORK.

by LI Loco

McCain has called for elimination of long distance passenger trains. Not surprisingly, he first raised his voice on this after Amtrak exited Phoenix, the largest city in Arizona.

I doubt he would have the political capital to kill Amtrak or radically restructure Amtrak. In all likelihood we would continue on with the dysfunctional system we have today that retards the development of passenger rail in this country.

by NJTRailfan

I was hoping he wouldn't get this far in the polls nor Romney. Mitt screwed over MBTA in new projects. I can only dread how McCain with his Ronald Regan Veto Pen will try everything in the book to kill Amtrak Ld. Yes amtrak will still be around for the NEC, Intra Texas and California even on the Detriot-Chicago-St Louis runs but long distance with the exception of the NY-Chicago and maybe NY-Florida would be done.

I still remember the many spats both McCain and David Gunn got into regarding the total elimination of the sunset Limited. Not the scale back from Florida to New Orleans but TOTAL ELIMINATION. I can only wonder what routes would go next if he does get elected. Again I do beleive that routes that get quite a few riders like NY -Chicago, NY-Florida and maybe if we are lucky Texas to Chicago would be safe but the rest of the LD routes could go bye bye.

by Jeff Smith

gprimr1 wrote:One thing to consider also, the economy is a very big issue in this election. A president who is seeking 2 terms would be ill advised to put hundreds of people OUT OF WORK.
Hundreds? Compared to the thousand that have lost their jobs in the auto industry? In a country of 300 million? I don't think that would affect a President's reelection prospects, in a country that has NAFTA (disclaimer: not a NAFTA opinion nor discussion).

by AgentSkelly

I was under the impression that McCain also wants to reduce transportation subsides in general too...which means going against a fellow comrade named Eisenhower.

by NJTRailfan

He also mentioned that NJT's Lackawanna Cutoff is a pork barrel project. In which he wouldn't mind taking his veto pen and getting rid of it. That is just crazy talk. I know he still must be ticked off at Amtrak for pulling out of Phoenix but don't you dare take it out on the states that really need public transportation.

If it's a McCain vs Obama I guess I'll vote for the latter. Atleast Guliani wasn't talking crazy like this when it came to public transport. He was pro transport/expansion. His city after all has a large subway system and it benifits from LIRR, MN and NJT along with Amtrak. With Romney that guy really screwed MBTA. Don't know how Huckabee would handle the issue.

by Noel Weaver

I see here that somebody has suggested putting tolls on all of the inter-
states, I do not think this is too practical especially in more remote areas
in which they run.
I think a much better solution is to put a special tax on gasoline and other
motor fuels to finance a balanced transportation system with emphasis on
public transportation, everything from long distance passenger trains to
commuter trains to heavy and light rail systems.
It would be a lot cheaper and more practical to collect this than to try to
put a toll system in place on all of our interstate highways.
Noel Weaver

by GeorgeF

NJTRailfan wrote:Atleast Guliani wasn't talking crazy like this when it came to public transport. He was pro transport/expansion. His city after all has a large subway system ...
Alas, no. Both Mayor Giuliani (and Governor Pataki, too, for that matter) substantially reduced the subsidy to the MTA. See here -- near the bottom -- and here -- just under the second picture -- for some info. The MTA's current debt is about $25 billion!

by John_Perkowski

Moderator's Note:

Posts not relating to John McCain and how we think he would treat Amtrak as President have been removed.