• What will Trump mean for Amtrak?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by David Benton

jstolberg wrote:
mtuandrew wrote:I would expect a heavy emphasis on monetizing Amtrak real estate, especially with projects at WAS, BAL, and NYP.
Don't forget Chicago.
The four teams of finalists include Chicago-based development firms John Buck, Riverside Investment & Development, Golub and Sterling Bay; acclaimed architecture firms Studio Gang, Pelli Clarke Pelli, Skidmore Owings & Merrill and Gensler; and the world's second-largest commercial real estate brokerage: Jones Lang LaSalle.

Those finalists were selected from groups that submitted a request for qualification that began in May. The process now turns to more specific plans for the massive transit facility in the request-for-proposal stage.

Responses to the RFP are due by the start of 2017.
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/realesta ... evelopment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The project could add up to 3 million square feet using the air rights on the 14 acres Amtrak owns.

Can Trump use rent to finance operations? Maybe he'll sell the air rights. http://www.chicagotribune.com/classifie ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Could be better than revenue neutral. Could be revenue positive.
What is stopping Amtrak from doing that without federal assistance?
  by MACTRAXX

Noel Weaver wrote:I think the best way to do genuine high speed rail between New York and Boston is to by-pass Connecticut altogether. it can be done although the cost would be huge. Utilize the Long Island Rail Road ROW mainline from New York to Greenport or rather Orient Point. Tunnel under Long Island Sound to about Westerly, R.I. area and from there to Boston you already have a decent railroad with no drawbridges and probably a lot less NIMBY problems as well. Keep the present route to serve Connecticut but run all premium services over a new route. The cost would be extreme but probably no more than a new ROW through Westchester and Connecticut and you get rid of the major capacity problems between New York and New Haven as well as the drawbridges all along that route. If this was Switzerland it would have been done by now but this is not Switzerland. You would need two brand new tracks to be used only for the new trains between New York and Boston. Existing tunnels under the East River and maybe existing ROW through Queens but new elevated ROW or maybe a combination of elevated and tunnel sections through western Long Island. East of Ronkonkoma there probably would not be any ROW problems except for grade crossings. No intermediate stops for the most part although maybe one stop somewhere around Riverhead to serve Long Island. Talk about putting people to work, this would definitely do it. Outlandish, maybe, but I don't see much hope for getting through the State of Connecticut where NIMBYs and boaters rule over common sense and the good for all. New York - Boston in two and a half hours could probably be done going this way provided you don't have major speed restrictions through any areas. As I said the cost would be in the billions plus but it will probably not be any cheaper through Westchester and Connecticut. Oh well, I can dream can't I.
Noel Weaver
NW:

I wanted to reply sooner to your suggestion about an NEC routing via Long Island but I could not find your post originally thinking that this was placed in the Future NEC section.

A route via Long Island would more then likely generate significant NIMBY opposition that would be similar to or even stronger then a Connecticut shoreline routing would be. The needed tunnel under Long Island Sound would be prohibitively expensive in its own right.

It is hard enough for proponents of the 10 mile Floral Park-Hicksville Third Track Project let alone the thought of adding two more tracks for the NEC across Nassau County (sticky in LIRR Forum).

To serve Long Island adequately the NEC route would need TWO new stations: one in the vicinity of the Nassau-Suffolk County Line to serve the area around Republic/NYS Route 110 which now is the central part of a major office and other employment corridor along with the one mentioned in or around Riverhead 40 miles or so east which would serve the East End and its resorts primarily.

There will again be more construction needed to turn the Ronkonkoma-Greenport route from what is a single track line with limited service to a HSR route with an extension to Orient Point to access a proposed LI Sound tunnel to eastern CT or SW RI. A third station could be added in Ronkonkoma especially if the Long Island MacArthur Airport (ISP) terminal is relocated to the LIRR station area.

A Inland Route via Hartford and Providence would make far more sense then any Long Island route could be not withstanding what the cost and any NIMBY opposition would be.

It remains to be seen how Amtrak fares during the Trump years let alone getting this expensive new NEC project built knowing that there are other major priorities such as new Hudson River tunnels to NYP being one of the best examples that need to be addressed...

MACTRAXX
  by electricron

Long Island Sound is 65 to 250 feet deep, easy to bridge over. One does not have to tunnel the entire way across. A tunnel or higher bridge will only be needed at the navigation channel(s). I'd never understood why every proposal to cross the Sound always included tunneling? An even better solution would be to include both highway and railway components to this bridge or viaduct project.
  by bostontrainguy

In the latest Trains magazine, Wick Mooreman says, "Amtrak is in good shape politically on Capitol Hill . . . "

Some positive news!
  by Greg Moore

I think he meant to say "under Capitol Hill" and was referring to the tunnel. :-)
  by BandA

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Any similar movement on other Federal properties such as GSA and USPS lately? The latter sold its main post office buildings at 30 Street, Farley (NYP) and BOS South Station for redevelopment. And the landmark Chicago Postal Building (over I-290) has been redeveloped.
USPS hasn't reached agreement with Massachusetts to return the main Boston sort facility back to the railroad station. They are far apart on price and/or value of a land swap. Apparently state government can't take post offices by eminent domain, but the Post Office can seize and close a public road.
  by jstolberg

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politic ... 02204.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Before a meeting with airline executives on Thursday, Trump had openly lamented the lack of high-speed rail in the United States.

“I don’t want to compete with your business,” Trump said, “but we don’t have one fast train.”
  by John_Perkowski

Mr Stolberg,

Until the Administration asks for money, either in a transportation infrastructure bill, or an appropriation bill, Ms Julie Andrews sums up my thoughts on the matter...

SHOW ME
  by DonNadeau

From the Portland Press Herald (Maine), 2/11/2017 [I am salivating at the one-hour timing between DC and NYC.]

"Trump has proposed a $1 trillion investment in U.S. infrastructure, and he has expressed interest in improving roads, bridges, airports and passenger trains.

"The subject came up in a White House news conference Friday with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

"Through a translator, Abe said Trump would make “major-scale investments” in infrastructure, including high-speed rail.

"He said Japanese technology could cut the travel time between Washington and New York to one hour from the current three.

"Before a meeting with airline executives Thursday, Trump had openly lamented the lack of high-speed rail in the United States."
  by carajul

"What will Trump mean for Amtrak?"

I.C.E. agents walking the isles of the trains.
  by R36 Combine Coach

jstolberg wrote:
Trump had openly lamented the lack of high-speed rail in the United States. Trump said, “but we don’t have one fast train.”
If FRA rules were relaxed, we'd have 300 km/h service by now like the rest of world. In fact the Metroliners (800 and 802) hit just about 10 mph shy of 186 mph: a 175 mph test on 12/17/67.

If possible a half century ago, doable now.
  by David Benton

Mr Trump does not strike me as a detail man( to put it mildly). While he may " openly lament the lack of high-speed rail in the United States", I'm pretty sure he would have no idea of the costs or logistics involved.
  by GojiMet86

David Benton wrote:Mr Trump does not strike me as a detail man( to put it mildly). While he may " openly lament the lack of high-speed rail in the United States", I'm pretty sure he would have no idea of the costs or logistics involved.
I read he needs his wife with him when doing taxes because she can understand the little details better. And this is Melania, not his exes.

He has never struck me as a man who understands everything about a plan but someone with the money to vaguely do something.
  by mtuandrew

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
jstolberg wrote:
Trump had openly lamented the lack of high-speed rail in the United States. Trump said, “but we don’t have one fast train.”
If FRA rules were relaxed, we'd have 300 km/h service by now like the rest of world.
If FRA rules were relaxed, we'd have another Silver Spring (20 years ago today.) If anything, the FRA has a responsibility to do more testing and certification, so it can determine the suitability of lightweight rolling stock in a heavyweight railroad environment. (It is probably fine, but that doesn't remove the Federal responsibility to ensure its safety in interstate service.)

Also, the administration has other priorities at the moment, so let's look at Congress' priorities instead.
  by bdawe

The FRA's testing found that their idea of safety rules only improved safety at speeds around 30 mph

I object to the notion that reform is 'relaxation'. It's not relaxation - it's replacing antiquated and anti-empirical rules with better ones.