• What will Trump mean for Amtrak?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by de402

The reorganization by Wick Moorman indicates to me that senior management is gearing up to dig in against any sort of further cutbacks. Management that was already lean is further streamlined to three execs for each functional area, reflecting a more industry flair than say bureaucracy of a transit org. I think its notable to note that Joe Boardman who was a Republican often testified before Congress, sitting though Shuster's Amtrak is Soviet style train service (at least they had service!).

IMHO, I think for the most part Amtrak has shown that it is a good steward of public funds (94% cost recovery). Moorman isn't a bureaucrat, was a highly successful CEO of a Class 1 railroad. I think Amtrak's Board of Director's smartly recruited the best individual available who can hopefully make the case that its worth funding going forward. What really happens is anyone's guess as the President doesn't really act very presidential when it comes to decision making. best we can do is expect the worst and hope for the best.
  by Tadman

mtuandrew wrote:That's my point, Messrs. CarterB and whatelyrailfan - we DON'T know. "Bashing" implies a smear campaign based on falsehoods, but his evasiveness and untruthful statements are a matter of public record.
"Evasiveness" and "untruthful statements" are very subjective terms and the hallmark of any politician. Examples would be:

"You can keep your doctors" -Obama
"Mission accomplished" - W Bush
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman" - B Clinton
"No new taxes" - HW Bush

You'll notice that the last four presidents, evenly split R-D, had quite a few hallmark untruthful statements.

Some of the best commentary in this thread has been of the "wait and see" variety.
  by EricL

I worry not much at all about what Trump means for Amtrak. I worry far more over the lopsided balance of both houses of Congress. Is it just me, folks, or does the old school of thought - the idea that the representation of the "flyover" states is enough to force the hand of the rest of 'em, and to keep the "railpax" "national" - seem to be gradually drifting toward the wayside? The PRIIA provisions have have already been slowly eroding the status quo - for better or for worse. (Might I add, lest some folks forget, that PRIIA - that great thing that provided an influx of money that one time - was actually a G.W.Bush-admin-plus-typical-split-congress type of act.) Indiana/Iowa Pacific has been heralded as a positive execution - don't get me wrong, it isn't 100% undeserving of that - and other state legislators have been quietly taking notice.

My point is that, even though the "flyover state" guys might still push for rural rail service, they probably don't care much about who exactly provides it - nor how it gets there, and nor how long it takes to get there - so long as it keeps stopping in the same places in their districts, and as long as it manages to fit into a however-farcical "national map". At the executive level, I don't think Trump specifically cares, one way or the other, what becomes of Amtrak. If the Congress continues to float it, he'll go along (and, in that way, gain a bargaining chip to say he supported jobs, rural America, the middle class, etc etc). OTOH, if enough support is gained in Congress to finally part out the system to the highest bidders, then that'll happen just as easily (Trump-cela, anyone?). The long haul runs, as ever, are the ones which really hang in the balance. Will those rural (R)-party Sens and Reps stick to their traditional guns, or will they fall in line with the party leaders? It remains to be seen - Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell are dangerous fellows - oh well, at least McConnell's 2nd wife will be the new Sec of Trans, right?...
de402 wrote:The reorganization by Wick Moorman indicates to me that senior management is gearing up to dig in against any sort of further cutbacks. Management that was already lean is further streamlined to three execs for each functional area, reflecting a more industry flair than say bureaucracy of a transit org. I think its notable to note that Joe Boardman who was a Republican often testified before Congress, sitting though Shuster's Amtrak is Soviet style train service (at least they had service!).

IMHO, I think for the most part Amtrak has shown that it is a good steward of public funds (94% cost recovery). Moorman isn't a bureaucrat, was a highly successful CEO of a Class 1 railroad. I think Amtrak's Board of Director's smartly recruited the best individual available who can hopefully make the case that its worth funding going forward. What really happens is anyone's guess as the President doesn't really act very presidential when it comes to decision making. best we can do is expect the worst and hope for the best.
"Management that was already lean" - ha ha ha, have you ever worked with or for amtk before? Okay, joking aside, I do think that Wick was a very good choice for CEO. I do hope that he sticks around long enough to shepherd the outfit thru at least a few years' worth of legislative sessions. Of course, he took the "high road" (read: only road, if the company was to ever hope to attract such high talent) by accepting a tiny salary with the chance at a big bonus for achieving preset financial goals. For the time being, I'm all for that. There is plenty of "streamlining" that can happen, and it needs to start at the top, rather than at the bottom, for a change.
  by Nasadowsk

IMHO:

For the next 4 - 8 years, we get threads about what Trump means for Amtrak's funding, every year.

Then we get threads about what the next guy means for Amtrak's funding, for 4-8 years. Wash, rinse, repeat.
  by NH2060

Interesting write-up on Elaine Chao. Trump's potential "Secret Weapon". She apparently has strong enough bipartison support in Washington so she's not exactly your typical Heritage Foundation politico:

Elaine Chao could be President Trump’s secret weapon to help pass a massive infrastructure bill.

Her political and personal ties to Capitol Hill were on full display during her confirmation hearing to be Transportation secretary earlier this month, when senators peppered her with compliments and questions about her ideas for revitalizing the nation’s aging infrastructure.

http://thehill.com/policy/transportatio ... astructure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And Ms. Chao is now one step closer to getting confirmed. A date for her Senate confirmation hearing has not yet been set:

The Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation voted unanimously to approve Elaine Chao’s nomination as transportation secretary Tuesday, pushing the former labor secretary and Washington insider closer to a new official role shaping one of President Trump’s signature initiatives.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/tr ... 41418a96e7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by electricron

mtuandrew wrote:
Gilbert B Norman wrote:Anyone handy with those sites such as Paint want to get to work on a rendering of existing Amtrak equipment IN A TRUMP livery?
No need - it's already on sale. http://www.lionel.com/products/100th-an ... 0-6-28062/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gold is an excellent livery! They do make highly reflective gold wraps that could be applied to Amtrak trains. Horizons would be easier because they lack fluting, the wraps would be much harder to apply to the fluting, but a consistent color will make matching the seams easier.

Although I was thinking a white base with a royal blue top and red strips between them should be called the Trump livery.
Last edited by electricron on Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by eustis22

Absolutely nothing.

This has been another in Simple Answers to Simple Questions.
  by Gilbert B Norman

This 3/4 view of "Trump One" suggests how a like liveried ACS-64 or P-42 could look.

Those around here handy with Paint.Net go to it!!
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by Tadman

A recent headline in the Fort Worth Star notes that Trump is eyeing two Texas rail passenger projects for his infrastructure programs. This includes Dallas-Houston HSR and Dallas Metra-type service, which is sorely lacking in this very car-centric city (I was there all week). Even the current heavy rail "TRE" is a bit of a dog, taking one hour to do the 32 mile Dallas to Fort Worth Run. Can you imagine what a 110mph 3-4 stop system would do?

Who knows to what degree Amtrak would be involved, methinks a public-private partnership would be the real winner here.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/natio ... 33599.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Two big-ticket rail projects in North Texas are on a list of 50 infrastructure projects nationwide, totaling at least $137.5 billion, as the new White House tries to determine its investment priorities, according to documents obtained by McClatchy’s Kansas City Star and The News Tribune.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/natio ... rylink=cpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by bostontrainguy

Up here in Boston he is supporting the MBTA Green Line extension which has been plagued by delays and cost overruns. He hates projects that drag on and on and I have to admit this extension has become somewhat of a joke. The MBTA owns the right-of-way which was originally 4 tracks. They basically have to move the two remaining tracks and lay two new ones. It's not rocket science, but they can't seem to get it done.

I think he just might be the guy who says lets take the NEC to the next level. NEC Future has a plan. You know damn well that everything they try to do is going to be opposed by every NIMBY for 20 miles. In the past they would have used the EPA to block any project like it was a sport. Look at the opposition the New London bypass is already getting. We can't get anything major built anymore in this country. But that was before Trump. I think it's going to take a guy like him to get this done. Some people are going to be pissed, but a lot more are going to be very happy to finally have a decent higher-speed Amtrak NEC service.

I think he will be very good for Amtrak especially in the Northeast. As far as the long distance service goes . . . it was middle America that mostly voted for him and he tends not to forget such things. After all, he isn't a budget obsessed Republican like Reagan. This is going to be an exciting 8 years I think :)
  by Philly Amtrak Fan

mtuandrew wrote:
David Benton wrote:Maybe Trump will order Amtrak to run tourist trains to see the " Beautiful clean coal".
Better not tell Philly Amtrak Fan we're getting a Hilltopper to go with our daily Cardinal :P
For those who didn't get the reference...
http://www.nytimes.com/1979/10/01/archi ... .html?_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by jstolberg

Tadman wrote:A recent headline in the Fort Worth Star notes that Trump is eyeing two Texas rail passenger projects for his infrastructure programs. This includes Dallas-Houston HSR and Dallas Metra-type service, which is sorely lacking in this very car-centric city (I was there all week). Even the current heavy rail "TRE" is a bit of a dog, taking one hour to do the 32 mile Dallas to Fort Worth Run. Can you imagine what a 110mph 3-4 stop system would do?
Here's the list of Trump's top 50 infrastructure projects.
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... duced.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In addition to the aforementioned 2 non-Amtrak railway projects in Texas and one in Mass., the number 1 rail project is in NY-NJ, and #22 is in DC.
*Edit: Tadman, you will also note #36, an Amtrak project in IL.
  by deathtopumpkins

bostontrainguy wrote:Up here in Boston he is supporting the MBTA Green Line extension which has been plagued by delays and cost overruns. He hates projects that drag on and on and I have to admit this extension has become somewhat of a joke. The MBTA owns the right-of-way which was originally 4 tracks. They basically have to move the two remaining tracks and lay two new ones. It's not rocket science, but they can't seem to get it done.
Trump will not result in any changes to the GLX. Its issues were "solved" before he ascended to the throne, it is moving ahead, and the revised, lower cost of the project is fully funded between FTA grants and the State.
I think he just might be the guy who says lets take the NEC to the next level. NEC Future has a plan. You know damn well that everything they try to do is going to be opposed by every NIMBY for 20 miles. In the past they would have used the EPA to block any project like it was a sport. Look at the opposition the New London bypass is already getting. We can't get anything major built anymore in this country. But that was before Trump. I think it's going to take a guy like him to get this done. Some people are going to be pissed, but a lot more are going to be very happy to finally have a decent higher-speed Amtrak NEC service.
The New London bypass is getting a lot of opposition because it is genuinely terrible, and deserves that opposition. It, like almost everything that's come out of NEC Future, is a bad idea, and would be a mistake.