• What Should A SilverLiner VI Look Like?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Tadman

In my mind, it wouldn't have a ridiculous strip from a 1984 concept gone wrong... Also, fluted stainless is nice looking. Chicago buys fluted stainless cars exclusively for CTA, Metra, and South Shore.
  by SeptaFan235

I have heard that the Silverliner VI should look like the Silverliner V car quite a lot. I think they will look pretty much alike.
  by tgolanos

Since I'm in Germany right now, I'm kind of ruined by what the S-Bahn system offers- trash bins at every group of seats, designated spots for bikes, and seats that face towards the middle. The last on sounds a bit odd, but it adds space for people who have/want to stand, or people that need to pass by. Passengers alsoe are responsible for opening the train doors themselves here, but I don't foresee that one going over well in the States. So basically, SEPTA should offer:

trash bins
designated bike spots
in-ward facing seats.

My two-(euro)cents
  by Patrick Boylan

By seats that face towards the middle I assume you mean longitudinal seats, in other words benches whose backs are against the window, so passengers face the middle? There are some commuter railroad cars that have a combination of longitudinal and transverse seats, in fact I'm pretty sure all SEPTA predecessor railroads had them, and it's the Silverliner 4 that's SEPTA the exception, along with NJT's arrows and unless I'm mistaken Metro North's multiple unit cars, having only transverse seats.
The silverliner V has short longitudinal benches near the loading doors, the majority of seats are transverse.
  by Matthew Mitchell

tgolanos wrote:Since I'm in Germany right now, I'm kind of ruined by what the S-Bahn system offers...
I've ridden the S-bahn too, and it's not the appropriate comparison for SEPTA's RRD. The S-bahn is a surrogate rapid transit system making use of main line railway rights of way, but on separate tracks. Trains run at 10-20 minute headways, even off-peak, and the lines are relatively short. If you were to transitize the Chestnut Hill or Fox Chase lines, and give each of them maybe two or three more inner-city stops between Center City and Wayne Junction, you'd have an S-bahn.

DB also has local trains and they're the more appropriate comparison to the rest of the RRD.
  by tgolanos

gardendance wrote:By seats that face towards the middle I assume you mean longitudinal seats, in other words benches whose backs are against the window, so passengers face the middle?
Bingo.
Mathew Mitchell wrote:I've ridden the S-bahn too, and it's not the appropriate comparison for SEPTA's RRD.The S-bahn is a surrogate rapid transit system making use of main line railway rights of way, but on separate tracks. Trains run at 10-20 minute headways, even off-peak, and the lines are relatively short.

Here in Hamburg, we have some surprisingly long S-Bahn hauls. The longest runs from PInneburg in the northwestern part of Hamburg, through the center district, and down to Stade in the southwest. All-in-all, it takes a good 65 minutes end-to-end. If you look at it from just the Central Station to one end point, then, you're right, it is no comparison to SEPTA (Suburban Station to Thorndale, anyone?). My point was I just think that Deutsche Bahn and the S-Bahn offer passengers some basic accommodations that would be nice to see on SEPTA trains.
  by Tritransit Area

I wish they would add trash bins to the railcars. I remember how awesome it was for the N5s to have them....
  by Clearfield

[quote="limejuice"]Here we go, convert the RRD into BRT. All our troubles are over.

You're BUS TED...........
  by Matt Johnson

Clearfield wrote:Now that everyone has had a chance to look at the SLV's, what changes would you make for the next generation?
I'd make it look like this!
  by delvyrails

What should a Silverliner VI look like? Basically, it should look like an NJT Multilevel car, with some changes to suit our needs:

1. Pantagraphs; some cars self propelled; others in locomotive-moved trains.

2. Same two doors above the inner axle of the trucks that the MLs have; the other doors relocated to the low-floor deck for easy boarding instead of at the car ends on middle deck. Thus no loss of a door for the engineer's cab; four doors on each side of every car.

3, No longitudinal seats; all 2+2 transverse.

4. Yes, some cars equipped with lavatories.

Honestly, if we really want a better car, SEPTA will have to move beyond the single level, stretched subway car concept.

Let the firestorm begin!
  by Clearfield

turnstiles?
  by clicketyclackprr

The silverliner VI fleet should be large enough to permit resale of the bombs; the SEPTA RR system cannot adequately support the locomotive concept. And keep the observation seats open for the public. And please keep the payment process, passenger arguments and lies included, off-board.
  by clicketyclackprr

tgolanos wrote:
gardendance wrote:By seats that face towards the middle I assume you mean longitudinal seats, in other words benches whose backs are against the window, so passengers face the middle?
Bingo.
Mathew Mitchell wrote:I've ridden the S-bahn too, and it's not the appropriate comparison for SEPTA's RRD.The S-bahn is a surrogate rapid transit system making use of main line railway rights of way, but on separate tracks. Trains run at 10-20 minute headways, even off-peak, and the lines are relatively short.

Here in Hamburg, we have some surprisingly long S-Bahn hauls. The longest runs from PInneburg in the northwestern part of Hamburg, through the center district, and down to Stade in the southwest. All-in-all, it takes a good 65 minutes end-to-end. If you look at it from just the Central Station to one end point, then, you're right, it is no comparison to SEPTA (Suburban Station to Thorndale, anyone?). My point was I just think that Deutsche Bahn and the S-Bahn offer passengers some basic accommodations that would be nice to see on SEPTA trains.
And what about fare collection praytell, how the passenger compare?
  by Matthew Mitchell

clicketyclackprr wrote:And what about fare collection praytell, how the passenger compare?
Can't speak to Hamburg, but when I was there Berlin S-bahn was POP, integrated with the U-bahn and other transit fares. Note that S-bahn was separate from the local commuter services operated on the mainline railway tracks by DB, which extended out beyond the S-bahn system.