• Visiting Springfield

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by bwparker1

Cadet57 wrote:
bwparker1 wrote:
TomNelligan wrote:Springfield has some nasty neighborhoods, but the one around the station is not one of them. It's in the business district which is an active area... probably not at 3 AM, but there are no trains then anyway! Also, as noted above by Mr. Ege, there is usually an Amcop on duty.
FWIW, about 8 years ago, my father and grandfather and I were driving in the area of the West Springfield yard. Someone shot at my 4Runner with a beebee gun, and it hit the side of my door about 3 inches below the window. So while it might not seem bad from visual appearance, its not without potential for issues...
And two years ago I was mugged in Hartford. So what's your point?
Hartford's no picnic either, my point was just that probably like most areas near Northeastern Rail-yards, be prepared for anything. As for Hartford, I'm prepared whenever I travel somewhere that isn't that safe. It's probably like Springfield though, most areas are OK by day, just be vigilant.
  by CannaScrews

Just hunker in the bunker & you'll be all right.

No urban terrorists allowed inside the compound courtesy of Smith & Wesson.

Just watch vids of the outside world, order Chinese take-away & Dominoes Pizza & you're set.

The way around this is to get out & feel the 'hood you are in. I'd rather be walking in NYC somewhere than in a suburban parking lot where the good upstanding citizens are trying to run you down in their Hummers for walking to the local Gap or whatever.

It's just a matter of expectations. Bad neighborhood in Springfield? Check it out first by doing a drive-by, then acquire your target, zoom in, shoot your pics & take off. Should there be any miscreants around, they'll be either amused by you or too stunned to get off their duffs & 'jack your digital Canon Pachebel.