• Visiting New York from UK help best freight places

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

I second the suggestion- go to Grand Central Terminal hungry and consider having a meal (or three) there! If you enjoy seafood, a trip to the famous Oyster Bar is a must. Many, many quality dining options are available throughout the Terminal. You might even consider eating at Junior's, which is an outpost of the famous Brooklyn eatery- a real "taste of New York."

-otto-
  by dazza20

Thank you "march hare" for a great detailed reply on the journey and how to get a sit at the window... :-D I will check out the idea of an early metro to poughkeepsie as another person on here as mentioned how good the bridge is - I have a feeling i will still be on UK time so will most likely easily get up early!!!

I will make sure i pack my woolly hats for the trip - going through winter in the UK at moment so my body will be used to the cold!!! I hope...

Hi RRChef - I fly in to Newark airport and then its a train to New York Penn Station.

Hi Sd80mac - i was hoping to go on Monday but sadly is closed only open Tuesday - Saturday. Seems a strange day to be closed but it is the off season i suppose.

I was looking at the location of the museum in B&O on Google defiantly in the middle of nowhere - was thinking of getting on a tram which goes to Camden stop and then walk towards the museum - is it sign posted?

I must say this is the best forum i have ever been on and i thank you hugely for all your great advice and i will defiantly post up pictures and video links after my trip :-D
  by Otto Vondrak

dazza20 wrote:I was looking at the location of the museum in B&O on Google defiantly in the middle of nowhere - was thinking of getting on a tram which goes to Camden stop and then walk towards the museum - is it sign posted?
We have dodgy terms for everything here. "Trams" are "Light Rail" here in the States. There are also "trolleys" (not the things that you push around the market!) but that refers to electric railways of much lighter construction, very few of which exist anymore in major cities. Anyway, I checked the Baltimore MTA web site, and it looks like there's a Light Rail stop at Pratt Street, which is one stop north of Camden Yards. From Pratt Street station, you'll have a walk of 3/4 mile (15 minutes) along Pratt Street to reach the B&O Museum (according to Google maps). I have never been to Baltimore, so I cannot vouch for what the neighborhoods are like, but I can only assume its a major thoroughfare and during the daylight hours, you shouldn't have trouble.

http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/lightrail/schedule/

Hope this helps.

-otto-
  by H.F.Malone

That neighborhood and walk along Pratt St to the B&O Museum can be a bit dodgy. Not the nicest area to look out of place in. I'd recommend a taxi.
  by keeper1616

Being somewhat familiar to that part of Baltimore, as I just visited it, I would highly suggest a taxi. It probably won't be all that much.
  by dazza20

Thank you for your advice Otto, Keeper1616 and H.F.Malone - taxi is the way forward. Cant wait for the trip getting excited now :-D
  by sd80mac

dazza20 wrote:Thank you for your advice Otto, Keeper1616 and H.F.Malone - taxi is the way forward. Cant wait for the trip getting excited now :-D

Keep us informed of your trip!

ken

ps. DRESS WARM... we are going into Bitterly cold now... I dont know how long it will last... 2 weeks away is long way from now but it could last long that long...
  by Otto Vondrak

I'm not familiar with that city at all... How do taxis work in Baltimore? Is it like New York where you can stand on a street corner and hail them, or is it like a car service that you call to get picked up and dropped off?

-otto-
  by Probius

If you do stay over in Syracuse, ask the taxi driver to take you downtown to check out "Clark's Ale House" for the best Roast Beef sandwich in Central New York. If you are purveyor of fine ales, this Britsh styled pub may be worth the trip. Armory Square has a number of fine restaurants to check out instead of the usual "America Generica" that inhabits our lives all too often.
Also, you may not be able to visit the interior of the old NY Central Station on Erie Blvd, but the art Deco style on the exterior is worth taking a few shots of. Also check out the Niagara-Mohawk on Erie Blvd and Franklin St. This historic art Deco buiding is catty-corner to the original Dinosaur BBQ which has some of the greates ribs in USA.
"Lake Effect" can be a bit tricky.. a couple of days ago we had temps in the 50's F and melted most of the snow.. today, we got one heck of a blast and will have up to 9 inches on the ground by tomorrow morning.
  by Otto Vondrak

Probius wrote:If you do stay over in Syracuse, ask the taxi driver to take you downtown to check out "Clark's Ale House" for the best Roast Beef sandwich in Central New York. If you are purveyor of fine ales, this Britsh styled pub may be worth the trip.
I was going to suggest Clark's Ale House for exactly the same reasons. A roast beef sandwich, a cheese platter, and a good beer (or three) are always a good time there.

-otto-
  by Noel Weaver

Snow and Syracuse, you can expect much of the former in the later at any time and more after that. Dress warm and bring
your boots.
Noel Weaver