• Vintage High Res Pictures Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by dieciduej

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote:More from the city archives.
This one is quite interesting, you have the Park St Loop, third rail in place for the Main Line Elevated which used Park St until 1908 and along the ceiling you can see the trolley wire for the outer Park St loop! A three-for-one special.

JoeD

EDIT I lied it is the trough for the trolley wire.
  by Adams_Umass_Boston

BigUglyCat wrote:Adams: Thank you for the photo selections. Always appreciated!
Much appreciated! The real champs are the Boston City Archives and the Boston Public Library. They have amazing Flickr Feeds.
  by Adams_Umass_Boston

Here are two more from the Boston City Archive.

This one is cool.

Boston & Maine Station interior, Haymarket Square

by MBTA3247

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote:Boston & Maine Station interior, Haymarket Square
The Green/Orange line station at North Station is on the same site.
  by Adams_Umass_Boston

Here are photos from the reconstruction of park street station in 1914 from the Boston City Archive.

by Adams_Umass_Boston

Here are more photos from the Boston City Archive.

Southwesterly corner Mather Street at crossing

Northerly view, Savin Hill Avenue Station,

Ashmont Station,

Cedar Grove Station
  by Adams_Umass_Boston

There are a slew of vintage photos posted on the Boston City Archive Flickr account of the construction of what today is the Orange and Red lines.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cityofbos ... 4990270536" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

General view of work on Geneva Bridge
  by BostonUrbEx

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote: General view of work on Geneva Bridge
Wow, this is fascinating. Amazing how simple and efficient the transfers were at Fields Corner and Ashmont, among other stations. And look at that, trains coming within feet of active construction in order to crossover and return. Amazing!
  by Adams_Umass_Boston

The whole set on the link are just fascinating. I was afraid I was the only one here enjoying them.
  by Cosmo

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote:The whole set on the link are just fascinating. I was afraid I was the only one here enjoying them.
Nope, you are NOT the only one. THANK YOU for posting these and the link!
I've always been interested in that area pre-Red Line for both historical curiosity AND modeling purposes.
Thanks again!
  by CS

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote:The whole set on the link are just fascinating. I was afraid I was the only one here enjoying them.
Not at all - I've probably posted twice in the last 5 years, but I'm on everyday ;)
Thanks!
  by BigUglyCat

Please allow me to join the chorus of approval! Your posts and links are very much appreciated! :-D
  by Leo Sullivan

The accompanying excerpt is from a BTC photo that will soon be added to the file under
discussion. It is so unlike now that I could not resist posting it as a quiz.
All us Dorchester boys know the location but it doesn't look like that now.
There is enough in the "Dorchester Extension" file to identify the location.
LS
  by MBTA3247

I'm gojng to hazard a guess that we're looking outbound from the present-day location of Butler Station, with the Old Colony's Milton Station just visible beyond the bridge.
  by Leo Sullivan

MBTA3247 wrote:I'm gojng to hazard a guess that we're looking outbound from the present-day location of Butler Station, with the Old Colony's Milton Station just visible beyond the bridge.
That's the right kind of reasoning but the wrong conclusion. It is between Andrew & Mattapan.
LS