• Vintage High Res Pictures Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by jaymac

Teamdriver-
Thanks for more rejuvenation. Given its size, I'm surprised Buck Printing seems never to have had a siding of its own.
  by Teamdriver

jaymac wrote:Teamdriver-
Thanks for more rejuvenation. Given its size, I'm surprised Buck Printing seems never to have had a siding of its own.
J man , you ever get rejuvenated at Triple D' s ? On a lighter note ( not Miller Lite either , ) with respect to Buck printing picture, if you look up along the tracks, up to the bridge that goes over Brookline Ave, those buildings are on Lansdowne street. There was a liquor company there, and if you watch the Red Sox games, when someone hits a homer over the wall and it lands in the parking lot , there you go , that was their parking lot.Perhaps they had a siding , because their next three buildings did have one as they progressed in size, rail boxes were key , .
  by The EGE

Nice shots, too. They're from the short period between the 1963 rebuild and the August 1964 MBTA takeover. They were under compatible licenses, so i've uploaded them to Wikimedia Commons.

Image Image
  by Type7trolley

Interesting to see that even as late as 1963 they were still installing traditional incandescent light fixtures in 'new' stations despite fluorescent lighting being pretty commonplace by then (it had already been in use on a few of the Cambridge-Dorchester 0700 cars for 14 years by 1963).
  by Abe Froman

Teamdriver wrote:
jaymac wrote:Teamdriver-
J man , you ever get rejuvenated at Triple D' s ? On a lighter note ( not Miller Lite either , ) with respect to Buck printing picture, if you look up along the tracks, up to the bridge that goes over Brookline Ave, those buildings are on Lansdowne street. There was a liquor company there, and if you watch the Red Sox games, when someone hits a homer over the wall and it lands in the parking lot , there you go , that was their parking lot.Perhaps they had a siding , because their next three buildings did have one as they progressed in size, rail boxes were key , .
Old Molineaux/Olde Molyneaux bottlers of fine, rare vintages unloaded from tank cars via a 4" hose. Rumor was this wine was the reason for Lavoris and Scope!
  by Teamdriver

Not sure about that one , maybe Petri or Italian Swiss Colony. But Old Mr Boston had a distillery on Mass Ave Roxbury that probably got tank cars of alcohol. similar to what the Allens of MS Walker of Somerville get,in fact I think they might have bought OMB too ! Goggle Earth coordinates .
42°19'39.19" N 71°03'59.78" W

Not sure if I can recall seeing any rail cars there, but there was also a carbon dioxide plant close by , rail fed , along with the meat cars in Newmarket.
  by jaymac

...and in other sights, sounds, and smells from that area a bit of time ago, the line of freezer TTs near Furman Lumber waiting to get their insides cleaned out with a steam hose...
  by Teamdriver

Yes indeed J - man , if you didnt keep the floors clean of fat, man it stunk. Fat got trapped because the floors were grooved, had to broom out the fat pieces. If it stunk , the meat inspectors wouldnt let you load. I used to use big cans of cinnamon if it was questionable until i could purge the fat. Summer was a groove to work meat....
  by BostonUrbEx

Look at that, Government Center used to have a standard double-wide escalator! Much better than the single-file crap now. I will never understand why it is double-wide down, single-file up. Ugh.

Did anyone else notice they had three [and a half!] warning signs on how to use the escalator? Ha!
  by The EGE

Not to mention the second set of stairs to the left of the escalator!
  by Adams_Umass_Boston

I was amazed at how well this layout looks. I know they installed a down escalator, but they really changed everything. To bad.
  by The EGE

Anyone recognize where these are? Leslie Jones photos from 1915. I suspect possibly out in Wellesley or Natick.

Full resolution:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/boston_pub ... 356059350/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/boston_pub ... 356059350/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by MBTA3247

That's the diversion route they used while the Boylston Street Subway was being built. You can see on the left the temporarily-disused tracks trolleys normally used to get across Copley Square before the opening of the Huntington Ave Subway.