Railroad Forums 

• Red-Blue Connector

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1482659  by Disney Guy

I would say that decentralizing and spreading out passenger flow (including building the Bowdoin to Charles connection) would be better than concentrating everything in a superstation in the downtown core.

".. nor have I ever heard of such a proposal ..." (to combine the Red Line Park St. and Downtown Crossing stations)
It's in the August 2 reply above in this thread. The logistics part, the 1/2 mile bypass tunnel, is my own idea since the 65 page link that describes the entire superstation will not download on my computer.

Once we abandon the idea of combining Park St. and DTX on the Red Line, the Red-Orange-Green portion of a superstation is complete.There is already a wide underground walkway between the aforementioned two existing stations. If somehow a walking path was created from the Blue Line to the Red Line in the downtown core I would not consider that an inclusion in a superstation since the walking distance is quite long.
 #1488647  by rethcir

I agree that a TBM seems excessive for such a short tunnel. I know labor is expensive, but how much labor would you really be saving here with a TBM?
 #1523302  by thomas1897

When will this get done another project that should have been done years ago. Cost would have been less but Charlie Baker should consider this project as high priority and it should get done soon.
 #1569438  by rethcir

There is some speculation in the Globe today that the $2 billion dollar renovation of the MGH facilities may spur some movement to complete the red-blue connection. If there’s any company in the state with the kind of political clout to encourage this, it’s Mass General Brigham (the former Partners Healthcare)
 #1569570  by Disney Guy

Possible deficiencies for general transit passengers in the artist's conception of the new Mass. General Hospital Blue Line entrance. To recap, the building will be between Grove St. and Blossom St.
1. A long walk from the Blue Line platforms to the Red Line platforms. It is about 2 football fields (about 600 feet) from the (Blue Line) T entrance as marked on the proposed MGH buildings to the existing Red Line entrance in Charles Circle.
2. A walk of more than one football field out in the elements, or maybe the full 2 football fields if the MGH building is closed to the public during some T hours, whether by MGH's work schedules or by quasi-public emergency. The corner of the building (Grove St.) closest to the Red Line station is just over one football field away.
3. Having to pay another fare to make the transfer, unless some elevated (possibly unsightly) or underground passageway is constructed beyond the footprint of the MGH building, namely to reach the footprint of the Red Line station.
 #1569573  by MBTA3247

1. The description published by Universal Hub makes no mention of where the new Blue Line platforms would be, merely that MGH is setting aside space to be used as an entrance. Most likely, it would be this entrance that has a long underground corridor connecting it to new platforms built to optimize the transfer to the Red Line (you know, the whole point of a Red-Blue Connector :wink: ).

2. I'd expect this entrance to have doors right onto the sidewalk (like every other subway entrance), making it irrelevant if the rest of the building is closed to the public for whatever reason.

3. As with (1) above, you're assuming the T is going to get a death grip on the idiot ball and build a Red-Blue Connector that doesn't.
 #1569603  by rethcir

Sounds like more dirt will be moved just for the 6 story underground garage than what will be needed for the BL tunnel and platforms.
 #1569604  by TurningOfTheWheel

Wasn't the existing Charles/MGH station built to accommodate the Red-Blue connector? In that case I feel like any entrances built at MGH proper would be supplemental; the platforms would almost certainly be under the existing Red Line station.
 #1569620  by neman2

No the Red Line station rebuilt about 2003 had no purpose than to rebuild the existing Red Line station.