Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#201717  by JimBoylan

--- In [email protected], "Tom" <mrbaseball426@y...> wrote:
>Type in key words "History of Strathmere".<
Here's the URL for the home page:
http://strathmere.tripod.com/

I sent the following comment, crossposted to Yahoo's South Jersey Rail Group:

>Below shows the Pennsylvannia Railway, running through Strathmere.
The photo on the left shows where the train came into Strathmere from
across the bay. This is down near where Twistie's is today. The photo
on the right is the train station, somewhere on Commonwealth, for the
Pennsylvania rail. This was back when Strathmere was still 'Corson's
Inlet', notice the sign on the station <
The above are on page 2 of your vintage photos. In both cases, they
should say "Atlantic City Railroad", "Reading", or "Philadelphia &
Reading", instead of "Pennsylvania". The steam engine is a
Philadelphia & Reading Camelback type, which the Pennsylvania didn't
ordinarily own or use. The station sign is Reading style, white with
a blue background, a Pennsylvania RR sign was often gold on red, with
a keystone in the middle. Other photos show that the Pennsylvania
bridge had an A-frame draw span very close to the shore, which doesn't
show in this photo, and show a larger Pennsylvania station. The
enlargement of the station photo shows 2 tracks, the closer one could
be the Pennsylvania's, as the maps show the 2 railroads very close
together with the Pennsylvania track on the ocean side, and the bay
seems to be in the background of the photo.

Thank you very much for sharing.

jimboylan

#201898  by glennk419

Jim, great link and great little website. It appears that the webmaster has already made note of your comments as the captions seem to be correct. I've also heard that the shed just to the right of the Reading train still stands at Twisties. That A-frame bridge looks remarkably similar to the bridge still in use at Paulsboro on the Penns Grove. Did you also note the blimp back over the bay in the third picture?
 #925123  by JacquiC

Hi - my family has a house on 38th street with an extremely old foundation which we always believed to have been part of the rail line, perhaps a "dairy". I was surprised to read that twistie's may be the location of Sea Isle Junction. Does anyone have any information about what this house on 38th street may have been? The first floor is the original building and the second floor was added some years later. I realize this isn't a lot of information but it's all I have. We have pulled up RR ties in our yard over the years (much less frequently lately) and maintained an old post in the center of the yard believing it had historic value (until enough cars backed into it to validate it being removed).
 #925207  by JJMDiMunno

JacquiC wrote:Hi - my family has a house on 38th street with an extremely old foundation which we always believed to have been part of the rail line, perhaps a "dairy". I was surprised to read that twistie's may be the location of Sea Isle Junction. Does anyone have any information about what this house on 38th street may have been? The first floor is the original building and the second floor was added some years later. I realize this isn't a lot of information but it's all I have. We have pulled up RR ties in our yard over the years (much less frequently lately) and maintained an old post in the center of the yard believing it had historic value (until enough cars backed into it to validate it being removed).
Hi,
Do you happen to have a photo of the building? That may help us a bit. Also if you have a photo of the old post that was in the yard, that may be helpful too.

Mike DiMunno
 #936997  by JimBoylan

I'm sorry for confusing you. Sea Isle Jct. was on the PRR on the mainland East of Woodbine Jct., not on the barrier island near Twistee's in Strathmere or Corson's Inlet.
 #1061426  by glennk419

Resurrecting an old thread...

We once again visited Twisties this week, site of the ACRR Strathmere Station and allegedly still using part of that station, when for the first time ever, I noticed some stainless steel trim behind the bar in the shape of a Reading diamond. Coincidence??? Somehow, I think not. Will need to get a picture on my next visit.
 #1063224  by glennk419

For anyone visiting SIC, there are bronze historical markers along JFK Boulevard. The one at JFK and Central Avenue has an etching of the old train station with a train and states that the station was located roughtly where the post office sits today. The post office is directly across the street from the sign and with a little imagination, looks like it could have been modeled to somewhat resemble the lines of the train station.