Railroad Forums 

• Millville Yard

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#685424  by rrbluesman

I went searching around Millville last night and found Millville yard, I have a couple of questions. Where was Millville Station as compared to the yard? Is the yard layout as it is now what it was in the time of the PRSL? How important is the yard to Conrail these days? There were two GP38s, a couple of boxcars and some ore cars, didn't see anything else, but didnt go poking around. This is where the W&W makes connection to ConRail, right? I followed the track up through Vineland, doesn't seem like there are many operating sidings, curious about how active the line is now.
 #685435  by JJMDiMunno

rrbluesman wrote:I went searching around Millville last night and found Millville yard, I have a couple of questions. Where was Millville Station as compared to the yard? Is the yard layout as it is now what it was in the time of the PRSL? How important is the yard to Conrail these days? There were two GP38s, a couple of boxcars and some ore cars, didn't see anything else, but didnt go poking around. This is where the W&W makes connection to ConRail, right? I followed the track up through Vineland, doesn't seem like there are many operating sidings, curious about how active the line is now.
Millville Yard receives it's cars from Camden (Pavonia) via a transfer freight, either MI-21 or MI-61, which makes a turn from Millville to Camden and back. Generally this trip is made Monday-Friday with a trip in either direction or sometimes both directions on Saturday...the schedule is so messed up now thanks to track work going on on the Vineland Secondary that it's hard to give any kind of an accurate lineup.

Traffic has decreased a bit as far as I can tell recently...but yes, that's where W&W interchanges with CSAO.

The only active siding north of there on the Vineland Secondary is Progresso now I believe...there are a few customers on the Vineland Industrial (ex-CNJ) that are served by a local out of Millville (either MI-21 or MI-61, whichever one does NOT make the trip to Camden that day)...that same local serves Progresso.

Thanks,

Mike DiMunno
 #686658  by kevikens

If you are interested int the moves of the Winchester and Western through Millville you might want to camp out on weekdays in Vineland in the mid to late AM Quite frequebtly the W&W will come off the old Jersey Central from Bridgeton to the former PRSL and then south to Millville yard where they usually seem to take a break and then in the early PM they head south past the old Wheaton Glass Works, past the old station location (long gone) and then on to switch some local industries. Anyway, that's what was happening up to last October which is the last time I was down there
 #688501  by WaitinginSJ

As a Vinelander I would say that the line is "moderately" used. I usually hear trains sometime in the morning 10ish?, again in the afternoon 2ish, or 3ish, sometimes at 6ish, or 7ish, and between 11p.m. and 1a.m. There are probably others that I don't know of off the top of my head. I know that trains sometimes stop at T&T Freezers, I also see trains turning onto the old Jersey Central Line towards the power plant, but haven't seen one on that line crossing Delsea Drive in what has to be at least a decade. Of course that doesn't mean that they don't still cross. Also, the trains go unbearably slow. The old station was located near where the Acme originally was across the street from the Millville Queen Diner. I think there's a furniture store there now, I know it used to be a Tractor/Farmer supply store for a while. The Vineland Station was located at Landis Ave.
 #699421  by rrbluesman

Because I have been in and out of Millville for work I have driven to the edge of the yard to see what's there about every other night. usually, when I am in Gloucester City in the morning the day after, I have seen the cars that were at Millville the night before come by between 9 and 11 in the morning.
 #791199  by Lattice180

I remember when I worked in the drafting room of the Pennsylvania Railroad I saw on one of the record maps the property at the Millville Station was sold to Acme Markets. I started in 1966 so it was sold before that, late 50's - early 60's.
 #795989  by Aireroscoe

Sorry...haven't been on this board for a long time.

As a former Millville resident, my recollection is that the station ran parallel to High Street near its intersection with Broad. It was essentially on High. The yard was to the east and northeast of the station, running to Second Street to the east and G street to the north. There was an ice house business in the general vicinity, just north and west of the station, fronting on High.

The crossing at Broad was multi-track if memory serves correctly and was operated manually, with the shack being on the south side of Broad.

Last lived there in the mid-1950s, so don't recall an Acme having been on this site, but perhaps so in later years. At the time, the Acme was on the southwest corner of Main and High...just northwest of City Hall - which was at the terminus of High - and extended toward the river. A tight site, so perhaps they moved to the area of the old station in years thereafter.
 #1199590  by OldRedLeg

Well,my comment will pre-date all the ones posted here by 30 some years.I was a clerk at Millville yard office in the early to mid 70's.There were I think 3 or 4 locals then that serviced the local Millville industries and the different sand companies daily.We received a daily double header from Pavonia with mostly empty sand cars and a yard crew would build the outbound loaded sand cars for the return trip to Pavonia. Its been too long to remember train symbols but it was a fairly busy operation with 2 shifts.