Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #638856  by Bobby S

I was wondering if anyone knows the location of said station? I saw the list of stations in another topic that listed the stops back in 1939. Would be great to locate the site.
 #639648  by ExCon90

The PRR C. T. 1000 of May 1, 1945 shows the Iron Hill station at milepost 41.3. For reference, it is bracketed by the Newark station at 38.6 and the Elkton station at 44.7 (in case mileposts have been adjusted since then). Wilmington station was at 26.6. I can't relate this to nearby roads, but it may be of some help.

ExCon90
 #639664  by CarterB

Iron Hill, MD was literally on the MD/DE state line on the Pennsy. On Iron Hill Rd. just south of rt 279
 #639762  by 2nd trick op

I paid a visit to the ETT's posted at Derrick Brashear's site,

http://www.dementia.org/twiki/bin/view/PRR/PRRDocuments

and found a 1935 Maryland Division; shows 4 daily stops at Iron Hill (all for locals, of course) and about 8 more flag stops. Some of the schedules were MU-operated.

The local interlocking tower in those days was listed as BIG ELK, and was shown as 2.2 miles west (south) of Iron Hill station and 0.9 miles east (north) of Elkton. Pesumably it was remote-controlled as PRR, with help from USS/Westinghouse, began consolidating interlocking plants, starting in the late 1930's.