Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #504805  by lstone19

As I understand things, there was about a 20 year overlap between when 30th Street opened and Broad Street closed. How did the tracks to/from Broad Street get around 30th Street? The initial portion of the right-of-way out of Broad Street lined up pretty much with the center of 30th Street and I assume that's where the tracks went before 30th Street was built. So after construction started, did they join the tracks out of Suburban Station and go through the current upper level of 30th Street? Or did they take some other route with their own bridge over the Schuylkill River? And if the latter, how and where did they then connect with the rest of the system.

You would think there would be some pictures somewhere out on the web but if there are, I've yet to come up with the magic search terms to find them.
 #505055  by JimBoylan

lstone19 wrote:The initial portion of the right-of-way out of Broad Street lined up pretty much with the center of 30th Street and I assume that's where the tracks went before 30th Street was built.
I haven't found the electronic photos, but many print versions have been published. The Upper Level platforms at 30th St. were built North of the 3 Broad St. Station bridges over the Schuylkill, then the new No. 1 Eastbound track got a 20 year temporary switch near 23rd St. to Broad St. Station. The new No. 4 Westbound track from the new Broad St. Suburban Station was not immediately completed West of 21st St. Instead, a temporary ramp was built leading from a temporary overpass for Westbound trains from Broad St. Station. Now, the rest of the 30th St. Station building could be built.
West of 30th St., the new Eastbound No. 1 track overlapped the old Westbound track from Broad St. Station to the South. You can still see one of the concrete abutments for this short term bridge.

#505305  by westernfalls

In 1979 and 1980 the Philadelphia Chapter of the PRR Technical & Historical Society devoted two issues of their High Line publication to the Philadelphia Improvements project. On their web site one of these seems to be available, the other out of stock. They're loaded with construction pictures and are worth whatever price they want for them. Meanwhile, on their Philadelphia Area Photos web page you'll find one picture that pretty much answers your question.
http://www.prrths.com

#505308  by walt

30th Street Station was built at roughly the location of the old West Philadelphia Station, which 30th Street suplanted. The tracks out of Broad Street used a massive viaduct, known locally as the "Chinese Wall" and, as has been indicated, connected with the upper level trackage at 30th Street. After Broad Street closed, the "Chinese Wall" was demolished ( much to the delight of most Philadelphians) with only the bridge carrying the tracks into Suburban Station remaining. This also removed all but suburban PRR trains from Center City.

#505431  by lstone19

Thank you for the replies. I started wondering about this when I was in Philadelphia a week ago and was in 30th street for the first time other than riding through it.

I never knew there were three bridges over the river for the Broad Street approach. I've always wondered why the upper level of 30th Street was so far north and while it does work to separate local and intercity passengers, it also seems clear that had to be done to get around the northern-most Broad Street bridge. It makes you wonder how much other stuff ended up being located where it is because of the need to work around Broad Street infrastructure that couldn't go away until after 30th Street was finished.
 #505588  by timz

JimBoylan wrote:West of 30th St., the new Eastbound No. 1 track overlapped the old Westbound track from Broad St. Station to the South. You can still see one of the concrete abutments for this short term bridge.
You're referring to the inbound track from Paoli and Zoo to the southernmost track in 30th St Upper Level? And it crossed some track until 1952? Where?

#505641  by timz

Pennypacker's article in some early-1980s? Trains will be worth a look too. In the 1920s the three bridges across the river diverged slightly, going west; the two tracks on the north bridge then curved south thru the lower level of West Phila station to head toward Washington, while the tracks on the south bridge curved north thru upper level W Phila to head toward Zoo. The middle bridge went to the roundhouse etc just west of the river.

The diagram in Triumph III shows that flyover from Broad St to the north side of the Suburban Sta approach, but I haven't seen a pic of it yet. Gotta dig out the Pennypacker article. How temporary was it? The allegedly-1938 interlocking diagram doesn't show it; was it removed way before that?
 #505907  by JimBoylan

timz wrote:
JimBoylan wrote:West of 30th St., the new Eastbound No. 1 track overlapped the old Westbound track from Broad St. Station to the South. You can still see one of the concrete abutments for this short term bridge.
You're referring to the inbound track from Paoli and Zoo to the southernmost track in 30th St Upper Level? And it crossed some track until 1952? Where?
You've got the tracks correct. Look between the bridge over the Lower Level tracks and the bridge over Tracks 5 & 6 to the 32nd St. Subway and University City Station. There's a concrete abutment sticking out of the ballast. The other one is better buried, as the bridge has been filled in. The tracks underneath were not used after the center tracks 5 & 6 in the Upper Level replaced them.
Until the Bulletin Building, Pennsylvania Blvd., and the station parking lot were built, the curved connecting tracks between 30th St. and the 32nd St. Subway were uncovered North of 32nd & Market Sts.