Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #483439  by RailMike

Way back in 1970, I took a train trip from New Jersey to Pittsburgh. Based on the following description, did we arrive at Penn Station?

Coming in from Princeton Jct., New Jersey, we got off the train in Pittsburgh. We walked down a flight of stairs from the platform, walked around a bend sort of, then encountered an up/down pair of escalators with a fixed stairway on either side. That seems to have led straight to an outside exit; I don't remember seeing the concourse at that point, but then again it was quite a long time ago. Was this Liberty Avenue station? (Also: just before going upstairs, I looked back and noticed a lone up-escalator right behind a closed door with a window in it. Looked a bit weird to me, and gave me some deja-vu years later at Amtrak's New Carrollton, MD station, which has a similar setup. In any case, I presume that led right back up to the platform.)

The return home, however, was definitely at Liberty Ave. In fact, my sister noticed the sharp curve out the train shed's westbound side and thought it was the Horseshoe Curve all over again -- which we actually saw going both ways on that trip, and when it still had a steam loco inside. Funny thing was, there was no going up or down stairs to get to the platform. Might this have been because the eastbound trains used the outer platform, and hence was on the same level as the concourse? Today, of course, I presume Amtrak uses that same platform for all trains since it adjoins the mini-station they have now.

Are there any photos/videos of the old platform and/or service level from back in the day available, or any station plans from way back when?

#483615  by JimBoylan

I think you used the present station, just not all of its facilities. The multiple escalators from the platforms on the inside of the curve down to street level and back up to station level were to avoid walking across some through tracks. If you used the "side door" to the street at the bottom, you would skip going through the station building, concourse, waiting room, ticket office, etc.