Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #472506  by Aa3rt

A coworker of mine just gave me an old print of a painting depicting a PRR K-class Pacific (too early to be a K-4) pulling a 6 car passenger train.
The locomotive is numbered 3349 and has a square headlight mounted on the smokebox above the number plate. The six car train includes a combine, coach and 4 Pullmans.

Annotated in the lower right is "Clarence W. Snyder from a photo by William H. Reu".

The picture is a print of the painting, the lower left has "Ketterlinus, Philada" stamped on it. The print does have a bit of water damage but would still look good framed-can anyone give me some background on #3349 and possibly the significance (if any) of this picture?

BTW-at 15" x 9" it would be a little difficult to scan on my home computer.

TIA for any information anyone can provide.

#472675  by BaltOhio

I can't tell you anything about the print itself, except that the photographer's name was spelled "Rau," not "Reu." Rau was a professional photographer who did work off-and-on for the PRR over 35 years. He is most known for the extensive series of photos he took along the railroad in the early 1890s on a special commission for the Pennsy's exhibit at the 1893 Columbian Exposition.

As for the 3349, this was a K2 built by the Juniata Works 2/11 (c.n. 2204) and scrapped 5/31. Nothing particularly special about it, as far as I know.

#472727  by Aa3rt

BaltOhio-thanks so much for the info on the 3349 and for the correction on William Rau-I am familiar with his work but would swear that the spelling looked like "Reu" on the painting, even under inspection with a magnifying glass.

A Google search on Clarence W. Snyder today reveals that he was an American artist, born 1873-died 1948, and his home is listed as Philadelphia. I found a few of examples of his work-a couple of nudes and some landscapes but nothing of railway interest.

Thanks again, your input is always appreciated!