Railroad Forums 

• Rensselaer, NY, Questions

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1469953  by NYCRRson

The Maiden Lane Bridge was just east of "Maiden Lane", a small street just about due East of the NY Capitol Bldg. A short "lane" it only covers a few blocks, but the web shows Maiden Lane still exists today. There is a pedestrian walkway over the I-787 expressway that starts at the east end of Maiden Lane. The NYCRR Maiden Lane Bridge crossed the Hudson River just a little bit south (1/8 mile or so) of that pedestrian bridge.

On the Rensselaer side of the river the bridge came in just south of where the southern most of the modern Amtrak Shop buildings are. About in line with Harrison Ave in Rensselaer. On the Rensselaer side there was a roundhouse that was almost a full circle. This was right along the river and south of the Maiden Lane Bridge tracks, that area is apparently abandoned now and looks like a pile of sand and rubble on the satellite images. It may be contaminated ?

The bridge was only about 1/2 mile south of the Livingston Avenue Bridge "LAB" which used to be the freight only bridge and is now the Amtrak passenger train bridge.

Albany Union Station is now a bank, it is located at the corner of Broadway and Columbia St. The Riverfront parking garage "behind" the bank is where the upper train platforms where, the NYCRR tracks took a sharp turn to the east right at the south end of the platforms and went onto the Maiden Lane bridge.

Cheers, Kevin.
 #1478009  by John Laubenheimer

I found this site which seems to answer many of my questions.

https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer

Entering "Rensselaer NY" in the search box will display a current map of the area, including the current AMTRAK station. Clicking '2015' in the 'Aerials' box will show a rather low-res photo of the area as it was in 2015. However, there is also a 1952 aerial photo (scroll down in the "Aerials" box), which shows where many things were.

This site can also display non-train related areas too. Enjoy!