Railroad Forums 

• Lowell Route Rail Lifted

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #101738  by Noel Weaver

eddiebear wrote:That timetable Wye reference is to the one in the Downtown section of Framingham opposite the B & A (Union) Station. Framingham Center or Framingham Centre (the pretentious Anglophile spelling) is the colonial town center and has very little commerce other than some stores and specialty shops, historic homes and a village green that looks New Englandish, etc. The real world is Downtown Framingham.
OK, I wasn't sure about that, as I said earlier, Framingham was not part
of the railroad that I knew very much about. I took the Centre spelling
from the employee timetable of 1957. Wasn't sure about that one either.
Noel Weaver

#101960  by johnpbarlow

If downtown Framingham is the real world....yikes! I always thought Shopper's World / Target / Jordan's Furniture on Rte 9 in Framingham was the real world!

Note that Framingham town fathers have thoughtfully put up signs that identify when you are in "downtown Framingham" in case you have doubts.

Here's a link to a 1943 topo map at the excellent UNH site that clearly shows a wye connection between NH's Fitchburg branch and Lowell branch near Framingham Centre. I'm guessing the Mass Pike current occupies much of the wye's former RoW.

http://docs.unh.edu/MA/frmh51nw.jpg

The wye in downtown Framingham was the B&A wye. I don't believe the NH had a wye in downtown Framingham. The NH line from their Framingham yard to Walpole crossed the B&A on a pair of diamonds.